PDA

View Full Version : New Member

autox7
12-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Hello,

I am what you guys would call the nOOb around here. I just received an 86 LX Sedan that I will be turning into a Honda Challenge race car. I know, not exactly everyone's first choice, but the price was right....FREE!!!! The owner's just said get it out of the driveway, so now I own it.

But anyway onto my questions. I am sure all of this has been covered before, but since the search is not working please bear with me.

1. What are the lengths of the front struts and rear shocks? Does anyone know the extended heights versus the compressed heights?

2. Am I to assume that there is no way to get larger brakes for the front? I see that you can retrofit the rear disk brakes from the SE-I, but I have not found any way to upgrade the front except for better rotors and pads.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give.

wprocomp
12-14-2003, 07:36 PM
the sei disc setup is plenty good...just get some vented rotors and some good pads(hawk,EBC)...the only struts that I know of the will fit the accord that are taller are the KYB crx adjustible...but you will need lowering springs to compensate for the added height....I have done some AXing myself,its badass...

autox7
12-14-2003, 08:03 PM
I don't want taller struts or shocks. What I am looking at doing is getting a set of either Hal QA1 or Koni 2812 threaded body shocks. (Probably the QA1's because of cost.) I am curious what the lengths of the shocks are because the QA1's and the Koni's are sold by length.

I will be honest and say that I am concerned about the ability of the brakes. The rule book says that the car has to weigh 2500 pounds...how good are the stock brakes? I guess I might have to find out.

k-roy
12-15-2003, 07:41 PM
The stock brakes are ok I guess.
Check the howto section for a sei disc swap. You will need larger rims if you still have the stock 13 steelies. You should also look at the sway bar upgrades in the SEi as well. You only have a front one, and its small. You really should flip through the HOWTOs and the FAQ section, it can answer a lot of questions.

shepherd79
12-16-2003, 04:25 AM
a few people on this board adapted BIG BRAKE upgrade from civic.
for the struts i would recomend Bilstein. they can reavalve it to any specs you want.
for the springs, well you have a large choice. it all depends how stiff you want.
here is the list of springs and their stiffness compared to stock springs.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7856

Justin86
12-16-2003, 05:53 PM
If you are looking for fullbodied coilovers the only ones are the lowboys from truck-n-store. Also the 92-00 Civic spring/struts are close to fitting and Jim should have some help on making them fit.

SteveDX89
12-16-2003, 07:06 PM
When doing the rear disc brake conversion, you must upgrade the front with 88-89 LX-i or SE-i components. The brakes are bigger on these models and the SE-i proportioning valve is set for use with that. Good luck with your project and welcome to 3geez.