PDA

View Full Version : My Method & Experiences With Painting Interior Pieces

gr3k0sLaV
06-29-2002, 05:43 AM
After parusing the how to on painting your interior pieces I have to disagree with some bits of it.

In paiting my interior plastic pieces i've been using paint more specifically metallic cyan to paint my pieces which include the door bits, interior moulding etc. And all the times ive been doing it i've been using an paint designed for exterior touch ups. However I've had no problems regarded the paint not sticking or eating the plastic. I personally prefer using this paint in my opinion simply because I like the colours its available in and I feel its more durable than regular interior paint.

When repraying I use the following methods which I developed from trial and error...my early spraying attempts didn't work or were crap but not ive slowly improved. This is my 6 step approach based on my personal experiences with painting.

Plastic Primer is a MUST!
Fine Sandpaper is a MUST. I used the finest one I could get and a little block.

Before going to work on your interior my FIRST recommendation is that you get an idea of what you want to do with your interior before rushing off and doing something that COULD be irreversible and you wouldn't be happy with. If you can, get an interior photo of your car and use any good image manipulating program such as my personal preference Adobe Photoshop and use the air brusher tool, etc to alter the colour of your cars interior, etc. This helps you to conceptualise and judge the changes and whether or not you'll like them. It's helpful but it won't always convey how it really looks and feels until you do it. I use it whenever I want to do a change.

Now to my 6 step method :

1. I wash the pieces down in HOT soapy water and with bleach, clean it dry it till there is not a drop of moisture on it. Best to let it dry for a bit.

2. I use VERY VERY fine sandpaper, it's the finest I could get my hands on. And I give the piece a good sanding till its slightly rougher, it'll be all powerdry crap, I just blow it off and give it another rinse to get it off. Let it dry. The reason for sanding is to obviously roughen the surface to help firstly the primer stick. The first times I tried this I didnt give it a sanding and my primer didn't stick to some areas but it stuck to others, then when I sprayed the paint did the same and wouldn't stick to some parts but it would stick to others, creating an annoying mess to deal with.

3. I use plastic primer and spray it, give it one or two even coats till its all covered. Leave it to dry for about an hour or so. The plastic primer practical evaporates but leaves a noticable coating over the piece. I give another fine sanding and if necessary apply another coat of primer. The purpose of the plastic primer is to form a sort of bond between the plastic and the paint, since the metal paint doesn't stick well to the plastic. I first realised this when I was cleaning up and removed the paint off my original work to change the colours.

4. I apply the paint, depending on which one you use I use Power Plus for my primer and paint. Shake it hard and spray it, give it a few even coats till its covered but be careful not to overspray. I learnt that the hard way and really fucked up. I usually let it dry for about 20-40mins, and go again. I like to give it a few good coats. But make sure you let it dry a decent period of time in between coats. I found with the paint I used it dried up pretty quickly allowing me time to apply coats quickly and get it all finished.

5. Let it sit for a few hours to dry, maybe even over night and inspect your work. Make sure it's smooth and even, look for noticeable imperfections, rough bits, etc. Some times overspray will show, and ive had my edges usally end up with overspray. Here you would now get your fine sandpaper and give it a light even rubbing till the surface is nice and smooth all over. Then clean of the dust and give it another couple of coats. Let it all dry and set.

6. Put it back in your car and admire.

I should add that when cleaning my interior, I used a very very very fine coat of armoil to give it a shinier appearance. Dont use too much, just use a VERY VERY VERY VERY light coat. Ive been doing this and haven't had any problems. And if you do it all together with your interior it helps match much nicer.

gr3k0sLaV
06-29-2002, 07:13 PM
BAH! it took me an hour to write this and not a single reply! you inconsiderates biaches! what do I have to do to get some recognition in here? just coz im Australian doesn't mean I drink the 'goom' go down to the Wazzamalloo, drink VB and my name is fucking Dwayne from Nor-layne! :mad:

so fuck!

my fucking mate is Mad Fucking Max and if ya nort careful ill handcuff you to a car which is about to explode and give you a hacksaw to cut through your ankle...it'd all take 5 minutes!

peace!@ :werd:

:burn:

gr3k0sLaV
06-30-2002, 03:35 AM
GAh 31 views and not a single comment!

DBMaster
06-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Very good, detailed instructions. BTW, I LOVE the "Mad Maz" movies.

Back when Mel, was "Mad Mel."

Later!

DBMaster
06-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Crap! I meant "Mad Max."

TeKKnoTeKK
06-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Thanks for that info man.....I tried to paint my interior as well and failed pretty badly, the result of my work is a bunch of pieces where the paint is coming off :rant:

gr3k0sLaV
06-30-2002, 02:20 PM
My article should be put in the the HOWTO section as the current one on painting the interior pieces is lousy! NO offence.

A VERY fine/light sanding is essential as it helps the primer to stick to the surface which is important, then giving the primer a light sand and possibly another coat then a sand is essential in helping to help the paint stick to the piece and protect the plastic.

This paint I use I Love. I also reckon that using that body paint is better since its more resistant and tougher than regular interior paint, since this paint is designed to be exposed to the external elements. That's my theory however I dont have any clear evidence on it other than my experiences.

BUt it seriously pays first to conceptualise your proposed changes before actually doing them. It'll save lots of anger, frustration and unahappiness.

Photoshop is the tool of the trade. Try it that way before you do it. It wont be 100% accurate and results may not turn out as you had visualised but it's better than trial - error.

And oh yes, if you dont use primer your foolish.

damackz
06-30-2002, 02:24 PM
haha good job from the land down under hehe :pimp: yeah i think we do have a howto this could compliment the other one :)

TeKKnoTeKK
06-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Rather than using a external metal spraypaint I would suggest an external, plastic/rubber spray.....I bought some exterior bumper paint and it worked well on the outside, never tried it on the inside.

gr3k0sLaV
06-30-2002, 09:33 PM
I just did it by trial and error and it worked well for me.

MiGeY
07-02-2002, 08:08 AM
Nice how to. If I ever paint my interior I will use this for sure :D

kennycm
07-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the information, I was going to spray the lower half of my dashboard but I didn't know how to go about it. I still have to learn how to take the damn thing off. Thanks though!!!!!!!!!!!

gr3k0sLaV
07-26-2002, 06:54 AM
thanks, I dunno about the dashboard, never had the guts to try it...so far.

As for learning ask someone on here to explain or go pick up a haynes manual, it gives a decent explanation. I its time consuming and there are lots of screws to deal with.

Good luck anyway.

hondaaccord_86
07-29-2002, 10:58 AM
well guys, here is what is looks like with the dash painted: i took this picture just the other day.

3rdgenSLIMER
07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
how long did it take you to do that? did you have to take out the whole freakin dash? cause i like it a lot, and i might wanna try it.

smufguy
07-30-2002, 03:58 PM
ookay i dont know why everyone is freaked out about taking the dash off. it aint that hard guys. everyone should know about it by now. well lemme say how to take the dash off if it would help anyone.

1. remove the guage cluster by popping off the cover on the back and remove the two screws.

2. remove the pwr mirror controller and the headlight rectractor/defroster/dimmer controller out and take off the screws that u see behind where they were

3. take the guage cluster off by taking the 4 screws on the corners off of it and pull it up to disconnect the speedo cable and unclip all the connectors off of it

4. there are two screws under a pry off tab on the sides of the dash where the door closes, take then off

5. take off the two 10mm bolts on the bottom corner of the dash hidden under a pry off tab too.

6. remove the ashtray and u see two screws behind them on an aluminum structure, remove them

7. pry the clock cover off and remove the clock by unscrewing two screws on the sides of it and pry it off of the dash with a flathead screwdriver

8. remove a 10mm bold (black) behind the clock and remove it.

9. remove all the connectors under the right side of the steering column and pull the dash off. u will have to disconnect the heater control cables.

trust me, it would take you max of 15 mts to take the whole friggin dash off

3rdgenSLIMER
07-30-2002, 07:35 PM
geez don't get your whity tighties in a bunch. damn! it was just a simple question

GreenMachine
07-30-2002, 09:21 PM
15min - if your on speed ! lol.

Ya Smuf I thought it was a big procedure to, till i took it off.
I'd say 30 min max if you you don't know what your doin. But ya forgot 1 thing the deck - other than that,that should be thrown in the how-to :D

hondaaccord_86
07-31-2002, 10:30 AM
it wasn't that hard to do. just whatever you take out, make sure you put it back.

-ed

superaccord
07-31-2002, 01:16 PM
when you painted your dash and your doors does it matter what kind of paint to use? Would it be ok to go to walmart, and grab some duplicolor from the automotive section? What kind of primer and clear coat should be used? U dont want to sand the dash do you?

hondaaccord_86
07-31-2002, 04:33 PM
i used just the paint by rust-oleum. and i used the primer from them too. the paint was an interior/exterior paint. when i went to home depot there was a lady helping me out and she told me to sand the plastics done just a little bit to help the paint stick better. but i didn't do that. what i did was clean all the plastics and the dash with rubbing alcohol. this gets rid of ALL the oils and dirt on the dash and plastics. of course i primed a good coat first, then painted. i also got a can of the actual paint, not spray paint. i use it just in case of those spot that start to fade coz it different in the sun. thats pretty much it.

-ed

gr3k0sLaV
11-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Can we get a sticky on this? or get it moved to the HOWTO section,

its a bloody good GUide IMHO

Andrew
11-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Yo! Ausi, how long ago did you paint your car? Any PICS? Do you wash your boots in the bidet?

Andrew
11-23-2004, 06:47 AM
well guys, here is what is looks like with the dash painted: i took this picture just the other day.

That looks pretty good, what color was your interior before. I noticed that you also painted your center console.

gr3k0sLaV
11-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Yo! Ausi, how long ago did you paint your car? Any PICS? Do you wash your boots in the bidet?

What?

For starters, don't call me aussie. I was born here, but my family is from Greece and Yugoslavia, whereas an "aussie" is primarily a descendant of convicts, big difference in my eyes.

Second, I don't own a pair of boots, and third, what is a bidet?

hondaaccord_86
11-23-2004, 11:09 PM
my interior use to be gray. heres a before pic of my door:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pe6ec5ad2b6422b7218513ccad0ec178d/f626e9e1.jpg

after pic:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p72fe1315604b03bafae5e3f08ae15c21/f626e9df.jpg

dash before:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p75480ecc5d470214694426ddbd341be1/f626eaa4.jpg

dash after
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p4332f869a117040728c217bbd37d9058/f626eaae.jpg

but if you have any questions with anything feel free to ask!
gluck with everything
-ed

hondaaccord_86
11-23-2004, 11:11 PM
oh, btw i got the car repainted also. it was gray before now black

Andrew
11-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Phackin A that looks good mate! So how long has it been painted? I'm just wondering how it's holding up over time, looks like you also peeled all the carpet off the doors, did you cover it with something else or is that what's underneath?

BTW here's a site you might find interesting, scroll down till you see the dashboard in his Nissan Pick-up.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nis_720

Andrew
11-23-2004, 11:58 PM
What?

For starters, don't call me aussie. I was born here, but my family is from Greece and Yugoslavia, whereas an "aussie" is primarily a descendant of convicts, big difference in my eyes.

Second, I don't own a pair of boots, and third, what is a bidet?

1) Sorry Grekoslav

2) Aren't you afraid of getting bit by a rattler?

3) A bidet is what Aussies wash their boots in...ever see Crocodile Dundee?

gr3k0sLaV
11-24-2004, 03:20 AM
1. Thats alright.

2. Never seen a rattle snake before, actually never seen one in the wild before, only in petshops and zoos

3. Never watched Crocodile Dundee, before, so I have no clue what it is. Sorry I live just near Melbourne, so we're pretty civilised down here.

hondaaccord_86
11-24-2004, 05:20 AM
ive had it the interior painted for about 2years now. its holding up well, but it tends to get dirty, which can be easily cleaned with soap and water. the dash board took me about a week to finish due to the paint drying, and painting about 3 coats, finishing off witha clear coat. the doors took about a good hour to do, each. i streched the white over the carpet, so the original gray carpet is still underneth.
-ed

sporkHSP
12-02-2004, 04:45 PM
my interior use to be gray. heres a before pic of my door:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pe6ec5ad2b6422b7218513ccad0ec178d/f626e9e1.jpg

after pic:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p72fe1315604b03bafae5e3f08ae15c21/f626e9df.jpg

dash before:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p75480ecc5d470214694426ddbd341be1/f626eaa4.jpg

dash after
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p4332f869a117040728c217bbd37d9058/f626eaae.jpg

but if you have any questions with anything feel free to ask!
gluck with everything
-ed
what did you paint the fabric with?

MrBen
12-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I moved it to How-To.

It took two years, lol.

Coy
12-05-2004, 01:57 AM
personally i use high temp engine paint on my interior painting projects. it withstands the heat of the sun (by nature) and its resistant to everything that gets into your engine bay so it is way tougher than anything a little one could throw at it. cleans up easily as well, i never primed anytihng ive done and it sticks like glue

hondaaccord_86
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
i used interior paint. primed it with regular paint, and just put on 3/4 coats of paint.

Coy
12-06-2004, 01:33 PM
interior paint, eh? that about narrows it down...lol

what brand interior paint did you use, and what brand primer?

HondaBoy
12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
i gotta say Duplicolor vinal/fabric dye is best for vinal pieces of the interior and Krylon fusion is best for the hard plastic pieces. my experiences. with either vinal or plastic, you gotta clean it well before painting or you'll get chipping. rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth works well. plastics need very light sanding with fine grit sand paper. about 700 grit is good because it doesnt leave too many scratches, but just enough for the paint to stick.

Coy
12-06-2004, 04:03 PM
cool. that was a nonbeligerant explanation. out-friggin-standing...lol

w00tw00t111
12-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Hey Honda Accord 86:
Did you just use white fabric for the door panels? I wouldn't imagine that you could paint the fabric. Holla back!

sxy86accord1
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
it looks like he used white vinyl.. I did sorta the same thing with my doors ( but with red..) it works great cause there are screws behind the door that can hold the fabric in place..
spork: is the whole door fabric? or did you paint the top where the door handle is? if so.. how did you get it so smooth?

sporkHSP
12-15-2004, 03:39 PM
^thats not my car, i was asking if he painted or covered it as well.
Im doing my ugly brown interior black this summer, and i was curious as to how he did it.

sxy86accord1
12-15-2004, 09:19 PM
oh.. sorry spork...

hondaaccord86: is the whole thing fabric? or did you paint the top where the door handle is? if so.. how did you get it that smooth?