PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench - Messed Up?

it's paid for
12-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Hello,

I bought an AmPro 1/2" drive Micrometer Adjustable torque wrench (10-150 ft. lbs) . . . I can't figure out if mine is messed up, or if I'm not using it right . . .

. . . here's some important info . . . on the instruction sheet that came with it . . . it states under the "CAUTION" section:

#3 - Do not turn handle below lowest torque setting

. . . of course . . . I did . . . not that far below, but I did . . . by doing this, did I ruin the torque wrench? Should I take it back?

As is . . . I was practicing tightening some bolts and I had it set to 20 ft/pounds . . . it didn't start "clicking" . . . even when I was really tugging on the thing . . .

. . . I hate being stupid . . .

Thanks,

IPF

Gregg86DX
12-15-2003, 08:23 AM
If you bought it locally, I'd just take it back and play stupid: "duh, this thing no work..."

You don't want to mess with a bad torque wrench. One broken bolt can cause huge grief and won't be worth the hassle.

Gregg

shepherd79
12-15-2003, 09:32 AM
yeah you broke it.
get rid of cheap crap and get craftsman one. they are a lot better.

k-roy
12-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Ditto to Alex.

Vinny
12-15-2003, 10:08 AM
oh and incase you didn't know, torque wrenches ARE NOT accurate at the top and bottom 10% just something to think about incase you have to torque things in those ranges. Also make sure its at the lowest setting when you store it

it's paid for
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
I have the receipt . . . you think they'll give me a hassle when I take it back? If so, what should I do? I was thinking about a temper-tantrum in the middle of their floor . . . peeing all over myself, screaming, knocking down those stacks of coolant . . . that sort of thing . . . nothing drastic . . .

. . . btw . . . the craftsman ones are on sale for $50 both 3/8 & 1/2 inch drives . . . guess I should stick w/the 1/2" drives, right?

Dibbs
12-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by it's paid for
I was thinking about a temper-tantrum in the middle of their floor . . . peeing all over myself, screaming, knocking down those stacks of coolant . . . that sort of thing . . . nothing drastic . . .

Dude, peeing on the floor is guanrenteed the most effective way of gaining their FULL attention. :lol

It might get you arrested but I KNOW they would give you what you wanted just to get you out of their store. :lol

Vinny
12-15-2003, 11:16 AM
dude you are really starting to worry me, first all these car questions now you are asking us if you should piss yourself in public :lol Anyways just take it back and go get a REAL set of Torque wrenches. 3/8 or 1/2 drive is kinda dependant on what you need them for. I have a few 1/4" and a few 3/8" Torque wrenches at the house (thank you snap-on) Just look at what the range on them is compared to what you will be needing and like I said before take into consideration that they aren't accurate in the upper and lower 10%

it's paid for
12-15-2003, 12:52 PM
. . . okay . . . I'm back . . . I had to go 24 miles up the road and 24 miles back . . . had to return the crappy one & get this one . . . I realize it's not "top of the line" . . . but this one has to be better than that other one I had . . . $50 on sale . . . also, picked up my gasket for the carb at the Honda dealership . . . should be all finished by midnight . . . hope so . . .

. . . when I went to return the cheap torque wrench, the guy at the store didn't flinch and was all too happy to give me a credit on my card . . . dangit! . . . I was ready for a public tantrum . . . I had even practiced mentally & everything . . . dang . . .

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/craftsman_torque_wrench_01.jpg

it's paid for
12-15-2003, 04:48 PM
Wow! That was fantastic!!!

According to the Haynes manual, I was supposed to torque the head bolts to 40-42 in-lbs (?) . . . so . . . I set the Craftsman wrench to 20 pounds and torqued them in the right order . . . then set it to 30 & blah, blah, blah . . . then to 42 & blah, blah, blah . . .

. . . I must say, the tightening torque seemed quite "weak" compared to what it took to remove the head bolts . . . would it hurt to torque them up to 60 . . . 80 . . . 100?

. . . I'll just leave them at 42 for now . . . if there's one thing I've learned from this experience that's more important than any other it's this: Don't buy or use cheap tools . . . what a rip off . . .

. . . also . . . mega-thanks for all the helpful advice & support . . . I hope this thing runs tonight . . .

IPF

NXRacer
12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
man you are a real crackup. but its good to have humor in a frustrating situation. Makes it seem not so bad.

Good luck getting it all back together. You've done good so far so here's to finishing it. Cant wait to hear how excited you are when that SOB runs.

and after you do get it running, have a :beer: and celebrate.

RustyHo88
12-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Vinny
Also make sure its at the lowest setting when you store it

Really!?!?! ::runs to get torque wrench :: check; set to lowest setting, phew

it's paid for, that craftsman is the exact same torque wrench I have. I've only had it for about 7 months, but I have had no problems with it. Good luck man, sounds like youre having a blast with your 2g :D .

cruznz
12-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I have a few 1/4" and a few 3/8" Torque wrenches at the house (thank you snap-on)

Vinny,is it right that in the avionics buisness,...only Snap-on and Stahrwillie are to be used in this industry?

it's paid for
12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Vinny,is it right that . . . blah, blah, blah
See how people take my thread and just abuse it . . . what's next . . . someone gonna post comments about the comprehensive diagnostic evaluation where prejudice was conveyed to undermine the egotisim of individuals who obtained medically substantiated chronic forms of irrepressible reponses stemming from a blatant and unexcused lack of self esteem?

. . . or what . . .

cruznz
12-15-2003, 05:49 PM
didnt realise you were that sick dude....

k-roy
12-15-2003, 05:53 PM
See how people take my thread and just abuse it . . . what's next . . . someone gonna post comments about the comprehensive diagnostic evaluation where prejudice was conveyed to undermine the egotisim of individuals who obtained medically substantiated chronic forms of irrepressible reponses stemming from a blatant and unexcused lack of self esteem?

. . . or what . . .

That made my head hurt. I hate to think.

Justin86
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
man you are a real crackup. but its good to have humor in a frustrating situation. Makes it seem not so bad.

Good luck getting it all back together. You've done good so far so here's to finishing it. Cant wait to hear how excited you are when that SOB runs.

and after you do get it running, have a :beer: and celebrate.

Man I sure could use some of that humor right now cause my car is really pissing me off and my parent are on the virge of kicking my "rude and selfish" ass out.

zero.counter
12-15-2003, 06:30 PM
oh and incase you didn't know, torque wrenches ARE NOT accurate at the top and bottom 10% just something to think about incase you have to torque things in those ranges. Also make sure its at the lowest setting when you store it
Yeah and don't use extensions or the already low accuracy will be reduced further!

NXRacer
12-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Man I sure could use some of that humor right now cause my car is really pissing me off and my parent are on the virge of kicking my "rude and selfish" ass out.
then you can move up here and we'll start a 'broken ass 3gee' club........ :lol

1988starter
12-15-2003, 07:06 PM

. . . or what . . .

sounds like a liberal arts bullshit paper

Justin86
12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
then you can move up here and we'll start a 'broken ass 3gee' club........ :lol
sweet, now I just need money!

johnwc723
12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
ahh who needs a torque wrench anways... my arm is one ;)

k-roy
12-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by johnwc723
ahh who needs a torque wrench anways... my arm is one ;)

I halfway agree with you. If its a vital piece of the engine with a gasket I will use one. As for my driveshaft hub bolts thats another story.

Crazee3g
12-19-2003, 09:07 AM
As far as avionics go, all we use is snap-on. I work avionics on the f-16 here in New Mexico. I am just waiting for them to get new tools, so I can add to my collection before they hit DRMO.

Justin86
12-20-2003, 03:25 PM
I halfway agree with you. If its a vital piece of the engine with a gasket I will use one. As for my driveshaft hub bolts thats another story.

shit I'm pretty strong but still the axle bolt and the crank pulley bolt not even the damn impact could get it off the first time and then it is time to bust out the breaker bar and I'm not talking about a pussy as 16" one I mean like a 3' long one! :D