PDA

View Full Version : Sub Box

MrBen
12-15-2003, 11:04 AM
I am getting a JL W6 10 inch sub from A Dawg this week. I'm not getting a box, so I need to find one myself. My question is what type of box should I use? I have a DX so my seat doesn't fold down. I'm into bass, but if it isn't clear bass it irritates me.

Also, the manufacturer suggests a box and gives measurements for it. If the box I find isn't the same, how will this effect it? Example, it suggests a box with .625 cubic feet, and the one I have my eye on is .70 cubic feet. Both are sealed, but measurements of the boxes aren't in the same proportions.

Also, I know I run my RCA's and power on seperate sides so they are away from each other. How did you guys go about getting these to the trunk? I would search, but you all know the problem with that.

Thanks for your help.

shepherd79
12-15-2003, 01:38 PM
i think the box should be ok. I am rinning slitly bigger box for my sub.
look at the factory specs. if the box between the numbers they recomned it should be fine.

dXsquared
12-15-2003, 02:43 PM
i slightly bigger box will just make it hit lower.. thats a real small box, so its gonna be real tight, high pitched bass... you wont be able to hit the lows that are in RAP.. but rock will be great

Travis

MrBen
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
If I want it to hit lower and get the lows in rap, I need a bigger box?

MrBen
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
What about a ported box?

dXsquared
12-15-2003, 04:39 PM
ported is sloppier, but louder... just a bigger sealed box... maybe 1 to 1.25 cubes...

Travis

MrBen
12-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Eh I don't like sloppy.

Guess I'll find a bigger sealed.

jigga225
12-15-2003, 08:48 PM
THe W6 doesn't take a big box.
if the box you have is .7, then it wont be too bad... The driver will require more power to push it the smaller the box is though.

It will be by no means "High Pitched" bass like described above.

What is High pitched bass anyway? That's redundant

MrBen
12-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Do you have experience with the W6?

My speakers as it is put out a lot of bass. I am hoping the sub will be able to put out the low frequency rumbles I love.

dXsquared
12-18-2003, 07:38 PM
actually jigga your wrong... with a smaller box, the sub isnt alowed to reproduce the lower frequences.... i have tested this myself... i have a single 12 inch Kenwood with 200 watts RMS goin to it... with a 1 cube box, it hit the higher frequences real nice, but shit when i played the lower frequences...

i put that same sub in a 1.5 cube box... it hit the highs ok, hit the mids OK and hit lows real nice...

now i also made a 2 cube box for the other end of the spectrum... it hit sooo low... the mid and high basses were very bad sounding with very little output...

i decided to keep the 1.5 because of the GOOD bass all around

Travis

kevinh
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
does Rockford Fosgate make good subs?, because they are like 79$ and i might get some.