PDA

View Full Version : Applying vinyl?"

HOODY09_86
12-15-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm kind of new to this whole redoing the interior and stuff so i was wondering how do you apply new vinyl and die the fabric of the seats and door panels? Any help will help me a huge step!

kicker1_solo
12-15-2003, 08:43 PM
hey, I know you. I talked to you about your car that you were selling. Are you keeping it now? If you need help with your vinyl project I'd love to help you out, I've done it a few times.

HOODY09_86
12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Right on, I need to learn i'm i little behind everyone else on this site. But yeah as soon as i get the stuff i give ya hauller you can come up anytime to check out my car

Dibbs
12-16-2003, 06:55 AM
What kind of Vinyl? The decal type that sticks to you're interior trim parts or the fabric type that's used to redo door panels?

There's a couple of different options w/ dye. There's spray dye that comes in an aerosol can primarily used for carpet but will work on seat fabric as well. I normally use Rit dye in the desired color and apply w/ a sponge, making sure to squeeze the excess out before applying.

HOODY09_86
12-20-2003, 11:43 PM
I was using the fabric vinyl that is used to redo door panels or to reupholster seats

RobT5580
12-21-2003, 11:07 AM
You should use a good padding under the vinyl and get some 3M spray glue from home depot. If you take your time it should come out nice i so far have only done my rear side panels but they came out very nice. Also anything you paint must be cleaned very good to get the paint to last long. The front door panels will be harder to do because of all the wrap around points but im sure it can be done with some time and careful work.

shane_lxi
12-21-2003, 11:45 PM
I was wondering about the seat dye too. I have never known anyone who has used it, and it seems to me taht is a bit dangerous. Like, does it wear of onto your clothes, and how long does it last? I was just going to get the seats reupholstered, but dying might be a good temporary fix, if it is safe taht is...

HOODY09_86
12-27-2003, 04:26 PM
alright so i can get like a foam type cushion under it and that would work real good. Do i apply the vinyl and cushion on top of the other or should i take it off and then apply the new stuff?