PDA

View Full Version : left turns

89AccordExi
06-29-2002, 10:03 AM
i gots a problem...when i make sharp left turns i hear a clunking sound on the front right side....clunk clunk clunk..until the wheel is straight...any ideas what it could be??

im gonna get it checked out soon i hope....

locknload68
06-29-2002, 10:12 AM
It's your CV joint. If you take it to a shop, they'll rape you to replace it. You can get remanufactured ones from Autozone for about $60. Only problem is installing them yourself.

Jerren
06-29-2002, 11:16 AM
yah i just got one replaced for $238 parts and labor.

ACCORD EX
06-29-2002, 01:19 PM
sorry to say ! but the C.V joints are out ! may be not both !

MIKE

1988starter
06-29-2002, 03:00 PM
I had that prob and it was a loose part on y caliper rubbing my disk and I just got two new halfshafts 380 installed.

carotman
06-29-2002, 03:35 PM
god damn, anything more than 100 bucks is a ripoff....

1988starter
06-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by carotman
god damn, anything more than 100 bucks is a ripoff....

For the half shafts that is new axels cv joints boots well everything from the tranny to the wheel they were 130 for each one.

staticpat
06-29-2002, 09:02 PM
holy crap, ive had that same problem, and never thought twice about it! what effects can happen if i ignore this? will my car break down like old schools? also could this be the cause of intense car shakage whenever i brake? im paranoid now, and dont have the cash to replace it.

POS carb
06-29-2002, 10:08 PM
not in the same manner but the bearings will spill out all over the road and you won't be able to drive the car except pushing/pulling it, extracting the remaining chunk of axle/hub will probably be a bitch too

locknload68
06-30-2002, 11:28 AM
What is going on inside the joint to make the clunking sound?

89AccordExi
06-30-2002, 12:54 PM
damn it sounds pretty bad...but i dont got the cash to spare right now..gotta wait a few more weeks or something...hopefully nothing bad happens till then...

staticpat
06-30-2002, 01:44 PM
how hard are they to install yourself? and does it matter if i replace both, or if only ones making noise can i just replace that one?

ACCORD EX
06-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by locknload68
What is going on inside the joint to make the clunking sound?

some little balls outta of place !!! :D

MIKE

ACCORD EX
06-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by staticpat
how hard are they to install yourself?

not too hard but the nuts are really bitches to remove ! !!

you need a breaker bar for the spindle nut 32 mm and even with that it may not turn loose ! i used a 2 meters pipe ! :D

MIKE

staticpat
06-30-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
you need a breaker bar for the spindle nut 32 mm
MIKE

for what, the hub nut? ive easily gotten that off with a huge scoket before. im looking through the haynes manual, and it isn't too clear on replacing the joint, but i think ill be able to once i get the cash. and if i can somehow get my hands on a prelude arm could i just swap that in, will that fix the cv problem?

locknload68
06-30-2002, 03:52 PM
No, the prelude arm won't help. The CV joints are part of what connects your wheels to your transmission. The control arms just keep the wheel in place, parallel to the ground.

When I replaced mine, it wouldn't have been very hard but the bolt that connects the lower arm to the fork was seized up. That made it really tough getting the axle out.

89cordlx
06-30-2002, 06:42 PM
it cost me 500+ to get both nmy cv shafts and joints replaced (thats parts and labour) I think they ripped me off, but hey my mom payed for it hehe

cruznz
06-30-2002, 07:07 PM
:eek: bloody hell!! prices for parts over there are expensive.

It's quicker and cheaper to get a good second-hand axle if you r like me with hole in wallet...:D , if u got the $$$,C.V kits are reasonably easy to put on,remember to drain some tranny fluid out first or you will lose it when u take half-shaft out

Undo axle nut while the wheel is still on,i've nvr had much prob taking them off

I've done hundreds of C.V's,once you've pulled 1 apart,you'll be able to do it blindfolded....:smokin: lol :bandit:

ACCORD EX
07-01-2002, 11:59 AM
once you get the hub nut out ! it's not difficult !
anyway i heard on this board before that you can do it without draining the tranny oil !! ?? can some one confirm that !? ? :rolleyes:

MIKE

cruznz
07-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Yeah,.....you can do it with shaft still in......taking it out just gives you more room to take outer C.V off.......you will need to clamp the shaft some how to stop it from moving as you try to knock the outer C.V off the shaft....and sometimes they can be a bit tight and awkward to get off with shaft still in...up to the individual i s'pose.......C.V should pop off with a good whack with a heavy, soft head hammer......

flush
07-02-2002, 10:53 AM
your pretty much screwed. once your cv boot is torn and your axle is exposed, your axle is screwed, especially if its making such a loud click. good news though, you can usually get a right and left axle at Kragen or Napa (lifetime warranty) for about $150. And they are 10x easier to replace than just the boot. I was able to do both of mine in about 2 hours by myself. Just get one of your mechanic friends to help you and your set.

89AccordExi
07-07-2002, 07:32 PM
replaced the cv joints and shaft (brand new) and car feels more sturdy...

replaced one of the tire rods but guess what...

when i make turns it still makes that broken clunking sound...but not as baadd..hmmm still not sure...???

the assembly..suspension..i got no idea...

Can any one think of what might be causing this??

89AccordExi
07-10-2002, 08:51 PM
maann...those clunks are botherin me....every sharp turn clunk clunk...and its not the cv joints....shietty dealz

L Squared
07-10-2002, 10:08 PM
My best friend's dad told me that there was some kind of bolt that needed to be tightened. I don't remember what it is but, i'll ask him tommrow and follow up.

-Lē

89cordlx
07-11-2002, 05:08 PM
why not take your car to a garage for a free inspection?

Longevity
07-11-2002, 05:57 PM
Wow, you guys are sure lucky that shops in your area give "free inspection" cause over here, they charge a whopping $60 just to take a look and they call it "diagnoise fee". Greedy Bastard. Might as well inspect it myself with help from this board and save some money.

89AccordExi
07-23-2002, 12:52 PM
okay found a mechanic who is only chargin me $40 in labour (total labour) to replace the right CV shaft and the driver sides outer tire rod.

i already replaced the other CV shaft and the other tire rod...so this should solve my problem...should be fixed by tmw!!

:super: