PDA

View Full Version : start then stalls 94 accord lx

crefasi
12-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Was going to lunch and when I reached the stop sign down the road the engine stopped. The engine will start every time then immediately stall. Since I have an extra fuel main relay I switched it with no success.I checked the codes and there were quite a few including Code 15 engine input. Reset the codes and continued testing. Most of the codes went away except for 15. Changed the ICM as suggested in the manual. Also changed the distributor cap, rotor, and wires since I was in there anyway. Still received code 15 and it is doing the same thing. I had a coil just in case and it did not fix the problem either.

I went to change the fuel regulator but could not plug it so it would stop leaking so I reconnected it. Just for kicks I started the engine and it ran fine for 30 minutes or so. Went for a test drive and everything. No more codes listed. Went to work the next day and then tried to start it during the day and back to the same thing. Starts then immediately stalls.

Items noticed/tested:

- it starts every time but then it dies. If I try cranking again without turning the key off it just cranks like it is not receiving spark or fuel - does not try to start at all. The engine turns without trying to start. If I turn the key all the way off, it starts then stalls every time. I read some posts for ignition problems with the keylock/electric portion but they were able to jiggle the lock and keep it running. I cannot do this. Is there a way to bypass and make it stay on?

- I remember reading some posts for checking the grounding of the system. I have not done this yet but will do so today.

- when the key is turned on, the fuel pump is humming for 2 seconds then turns off correctly. The other day while testing, I think it was not humming correctly but it is now. Could the fuel pump be dying?

- this appears to be electrical in nature. If the fuel pump is dying shouldn't it run rough for a second or two before it actually dies since it is already running? Are there any tests that can bypass some of the safety measures just for testing? Can I bypass the key switch before changing it? Can I make sure the fuel pump is always on just to make sure?

- sometimes once it is started, it runs great as usual. Then all of a sudden it dies and continues the start and stall routine.

- could it be the ECU? I thought there was a fail safe mode that allowed it to at least run.

- could some of the sensors be causing this condition without sending error codes?

This has been a great car overall. I am planning on giving to my teenage daughter but not in this condition. What else can I do to fix this so I can gain my reliability back on this vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

shepherd79
12-16-2003, 07:30 AM
you do realize that this is 86-89 accord forum and not 5 gen accord. i don't think you will find much help here. not many of us know about 5 gen accords.
I am sorry, but i can't help you.
if anyone knows 5 gen accord board please tell this guy.

crefasi
12-16-2003, 07:49 AM
Until you mentioned it I was unaware of the model range. Is there another site like this for 5 gen accords? There is such a tremendous knowledge base in these forums I was hoping you could help.

It even says it in the banner of the forum. Sorry.

Thanks

Dibbs
12-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Accordingly Done is one and Honda-Acura forums is another. This thread would be best served in off topic, I think there's a couple of 5th gen owners here on the board but to me it sounds like a fuel delivery problem that could easily be solved with a trip to the dealer and having a diagnostic ran on the car. That way there's no money wasted on throwing parts at it hoping the problem will get fixed. You'll know exactly what needs to be fixed. Hope that helps and maybe the mods could move this to off-topic for the guy.

k-roy
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Change your fuel and air filters.

Vinny
12-16-2003, 11:54 AM
All I know is 15 is Ignition Output Signal missing or defective ignition output signal. Its not engine output. I doubt filters are going to do much of anything. I also doubt throwing anymore fuel parts will do anything either.