PDA

View Full Version : help getting rid of rust.

Defiant[YD]
06-29-2002, 12:08 PM
wellz, here's the deal, the car has some rust only on the rear (the part just behind the rear wheels) and i wanna clean it up. i've got the paint from the code on the door and now what should i do?
just sandpaper the rust and then spray on the paint?
CLR the damn rust and then spray on the paint?

and whats the deal with the primer? hehe, yah, i dunno what it's for :D

damackz
06-29-2002, 01:02 PM
well u sand the rust and make it smooth , then u use primer on it and then apply the paint. Make sure u prep it right, mask everything and use bondo if needed to fill holes make the job that much better :pimp:

Jerren
06-29-2002, 01:44 PM
if you just some rust and that is it, you are lucky. my rust ate all the way through the metal.

(x_x)
06-29-2002, 02:21 PM
How did you fix yours, Jerren (if you ever did)? My rust is eating through like a bitch, and it's aaalll over the place. :mad:

Jerren
06-29-2002, 02:46 PM
nah man. its still fukked up. i don't know what to do with it. i really dont care any more. i'm not putting any more money into my car until i get an engine swap.

Defiant[YD]
06-29-2002, 07:20 PM
nah, it's got no holes. and besides, i know how to patch the holes up. it's just the painting that scares me. cuz i patched a hole on my BMW with fibreglass and it worked out good. but when i started repainting chipped paint spots on the front of the hood and around the tires, i did the sand paper and primer thing, but the paint is ruined. now my BMW looks like...... well..... it's got patches of ugly silver paint all over the polished body.

YK86
06-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Unless you get perfectly matching paint, it will not look good when you just spray the patched area. What I did was paint the whole panel up to a certain point like the moulding and paint that whole piece. that way you don't notice it as much. The 88 Accord had rusty rear wells so I painted the whole lower half of the panel up to the pin stripe. The paint was a very good match but slightly lighter if you looked hard enough.

pimp86LX
06-30-2002, 03:24 AM
bah! your lucky...when i got my 3g i had to replace the rockers, the floor, the trunk and the front 1/4 panels

all thats left is the trunk..but MAN that was some rust.. just don't paint with anything but factory matched paint and you should be fine. a layer of spot puddy aka bondo could make it look real smooth but that'd be some fancy work

peace!:smokin:

Defiant[YD]
07-01-2002, 04:24 PM
ok, i did what u guys told me. sandpaper the rust down to metal, then the primer, and then the paint. the rust is gone, but the paint looks like crap! and i put like several layers of paint. waiting for each layer to dry before i put another layer on top. how do those body shops do it so nice????? :huh:

TeKKnoTeKK
07-01-2002, 04:55 PM
does it atleast look better than it did when the rust was there? If so, atleast you can be thankful for that :lol

YK86
07-01-2002, 05:11 PM
You can't really compare a body shop to a home garage done paint job especially if you painted with a spray bomb. Make sure the surface is smooth (I do the final sanding with 1200-1800 grit) and free of dust. Spray the paint so it ALMOST runs. If you go too fast, it doesn't leave a nice glossy finish and if you go too slow, it runs. What kind of paint did you use?

Defiant[YD]
07-02-2002, 12:35 PM
i had the paint custom made at this auto shop. it's the same number as the color on my accord. then like, everytime i sprayed the paint on, it keeps running. there's no control over the paint release. just press and it comes out so fast that it runs.

would it help if i put on laquer?

i also think i put on too many layers of paint. the re-painted part looks like tape that has been stuck on to the car. anybody know of a good compound rubber so i can rub the edges into the existing paint?

pimp86LX
07-02-2002, 12:51 PM
how are you using the spray bomb? you may be spraying too close...try short bursts..about 10-12 inches away then it shouldn't run...oh don't use laquer....