PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belt warning chime

Vinny
12-16-2003, 12:18 PM
OK I hated to post this but since search is out here we go

The seatbelt warning chime goes off constantly on the 88 hatch, AKA "the bastard hatch." I've switched the seatbelt indicator above the mirror and switched out the control box under the ashtray. As soon as the car moves fwd the tone starts and doesn't stop until you shut the car off. The seatbelt above the rearview mirror doesn't light up for the drivers side but it does for the passenger, don't know if that helps any. The electrical service manual really doesn't tell you jack for the hatch, just the sedan. Anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this?????? I don't want to hear "just disconnect the plug on warning light above the mirror" I'd like to actually fix the damn problem not hide it

shepherd79
12-16-2003, 04:42 PM
did you try connecting everything back to see if that will help.

Mac
12-16-2003, 07:00 PM
I don't have a hatch and I don't have the lights by the mirror so I don't know this first hand. Anyway I was looking in the book and it looks like there is a seatbelt control box under the pass seat. There are some voltage and continuity checks for it also.

Also it looks like there is an additional door switch. Not the black "L" one but another in the door latch to sense that the door is closed.

If this applies to your hatch, and either is bad it might be your problem.

Again I don't know this first hand. Hope this helps.

Vinny
12-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Ok well Mac you beat me to it. The hatch and coupe are listed in the back of the Electrical manual under automatic seatbelt. I did see reference to the box under the seat, which I'll try and get from salvage this weekend. I have a feeling that may be the problem because of a few other inputs like the speed input and since I don't have a drivers seatbely reminder on the dash or the overhead. The second set of switches Mac mentioned may be the elr Solenoids in the doors. Mac if you could PM the voltage and conitinuity checks I'd appreciate it greatly

MrBen
12-16-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm just going to toss this out there, and I'm positive you thought of this, but if there's any chance of moisture damage in your car, it's going to show up in electrical sooner or later. Going over contacts with an eraser for light corrosion, or steel wool for heavy corrosion, could be worthwhile.