PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replaced bulbs in their auto shift indicator in the cluster?

DBMaster
12-16-2003, 12:19 PM
The bulb behind D4 burned out again. I fixed this about seven years ago. I used a 12v bulb from Radio Shack. To avoid concerns about the longevity I moved the D1 bulb to D4 and put the Radio Shack bulb in D1. I rarely, if ever, use D1, but the light still works. I was just wondering if anyone here has had luck with specific aftermarket bulbs behind the cluster shift indicator (automatic transmission, obviously).

Thanks!

accordlxi2.0
12-16-2003, 12:39 PM
mine's went out too. but you should'nt have any problem's
is the brightness dimmer than the other's?
if it's the same it should be fine than.

DBMaster
12-16-2003, 03:00 PM
It's actually a little dimmer. Since it was impossible to match the bulb exactly I just went with something that was 12V and looked pretty much like the factory bulbs. That was why I put it into the D1 (maybe it's D2) slot.

Maybe I will just do the same thing. I'll take the D3 bulb and move it to the D4 spot and put an aftermarket bulb into the D3 spot.

I do see that Majestic carries these bulbs, but I hate to pay $5 freight to get them. I may just break down and do it.

Thanks!

DBMaster
12-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Just a further comment. These indicator lamps should have LED's!!

D4 is constantly on when you are driving so it would have made sense to use an LED instead of a light bulb. To replace these you have to completely disassemble the gauge cluster!

SiR
12-19-2003, 09:15 AM
I would say get some from the junkyard, a lot of them, just incase some dont work. You must have a lot of miles on your car, my D4 bulb has yet to burn out. I'm at 288k.

DBMaster
12-19-2003, 11:26 AM
I have "only" 212K, but my D4 has burned out twice, once about every seven years.

In another thread I told about how I replaced the D4 bulb with a white LED. That ought to last the rest of the car's life.

It's kind of interesting, though, because white LED's look kind of bluish. So the frame around D4 is now teal on my car. I guess you could call that unique.

Crazee3g
12-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Are you sure that something isnt shorting out near that bulb.

DBMaster
12-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Nah, everything is fine. The bulb just burned out, that's all. I doubt I will have to get in there again as the LED should last a very long time.

I did not see a need to replace the other bulbs with LED's as they are on for very short periods of time compared with the D4 bulb.

dews89blkaccord
12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
hey DBMaster if you haven't bought those bulbs yet I have a few I got from the junkyard I can mail you at N/C

DBMaster
12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks, dews, but I already got in there and installed the LED. Not a job I want to do too often as it involves near complete disassembly of the cluster. I did replace one of them 7 years ago with a little 12V bulb from Radio Shack.

Anyway, thanks for the offer!

accordlxi2.0
12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
well mine's went out at 151,xxxmiles.
since the LED is dimmer it mean's it not getting enought power so, it's okay in a way.
and your right honda should've used LED's.
i think it would've been cheaper.

DBMaster
01-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Actually, the LED in the D4 spot is BRIGHTER than the light bulb was. I probably should have just gone with a regular green LED and not a "super bright" white LED. It actually burns a tad blue so now my D4 is sort of teal instead of green. I am getting used to it. It's pretty cool because you definitely know when you are in D4 now!