PDA

View Full Version : oxygen sensors

adams86lxi
12-16-2003, 06:17 PM
i need a new oxygen sensor for my accord and the cheapest place i can find them is oxygensensors.com, my local honda dealer wanted 196$ for one, rediculous!!!!!! On oxygensensors.com they have 2 for the accord and a universal, which one is better to get, i dont want to end up with another dead one soon. They have the walker 31.90$ and the other one is the denso for 38.99$ Thanks!:D

k-roy
12-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Denso man Denso. Thats a decent price.

zero.counter
12-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Those universal ones are shit and don't fit, hence universal. Shit, you can buy the universal one form autozone for less than $20 too, but does not guarantee compatability.

1988starter
12-16-2003, 08:47 PM
try www.nopionline.com

I have 2 bosch universal ones work fine the just don't have connectors

Vinny
12-16-2003, 09:10 PM
NGK.com their O2 sensors run 35.85 for O.E. Identical and while your there pickup some NGK iridium plugs for 6.95 each

zero.counter
12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Vinny
NGK.com their O2 sensors run 35.85 for O.E. Identical and while your there pickup some NGK iridium plugs for 6.95 each
Oh crap, thanks Vinny!

adams86lxi
12-16-2003, 09:29 PM
i want whatever will just conect up to the stock wiring harness. Also how hard is it to get the sensor out? And also does anyone know if those ngk sensors are any good?

Vinny
12-19-2003, 10:43 AM
NGK makes alot of OE honda parts. I run there plugs and wires and think they are great so the O2 Sensors should be about the same. As far as changing them its really easy in most cases. You may need to pull your condensor fan to get batter acccess with a ratchet and they make a special socket thats fairly deep with a slit in the side for the wires. They universals are cheaper but will need to be spliced in where the OE will have the right plug

DBMaster
12-19-2003, 11:35 AM
If the hard part is getting the old ones out, why not just cut off the wires and use a deep socket? When you put the new ones in you can be more careful and use a regular wrench.

adams86lxi
12-19-2003, 11:48 AM
yea, thats what i was going to do. Just cut the old wire off to get it out with a deep socket, and then use a regular wrench to tighten the new one. Since 3geez was down i ordered the denso for 38.99$ from oxyegensensors.com the other day.:)

DBMaster
12-19-2003, 01:22 PM
How did you know you needed the O2 sensor? Did you get the check engine light and code for it?

A couple of reliable sources have told me that the O2 sensors in our cars should last for the life of the car.

Vinny
12-19-2003, 01:41 PM
you more than likely won't be able to get a wrench on it to tighten it down unless you take your heatshield off because of the way the sensor sits down in the manifold, the head where you have to tighten is below the hole in the heatshield. And as far as I know on O2 sensors their performance degrades over time, until they eventually fail. Just because you don't have a code for it doesn't mean it may not be a good idea to change them. I know My fuel mileage increased after I changed mine and NO I never had a check engine light.

adams86lxi
12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
How did you know you needed the O2 sensor? Did you get the check engine light and code for it?

A couple of reliable sources have told me that the O2 sensors in our cars should last for the life of the car.

Yea, the car has been running kinda crappy lately and my check engine light would come on when im sitting still. I checked the code and i got the code for the oxygen sensor. This isnt the first time it has been needed to be changed.

BTW: vinny thanks never thought about that ill just remove the heat shield to get to it.

AccordEpicenter
12-19-2003, 06:37 PM
you shouldnt need to change the o2 sensors unless the car throws a CEL or somthing. NGKs are just fine.

adams86lxi
12-24-2003, 04:59 PM
im bumping this back up because i got the sensor and spent hours trying to get the old one off and failed i cut it in half so i could get a socket on it and completly drenched it with wd-40 and it wont even budge. I finally gave up and was driving it around with out the sesor connected just stock in their, and the car was actually running better with out it connected is this ok to drive with out it connected or not? and does any one have any ideas on how to get it out.

adams86lxi
12-25-2003, 12:21 AM
bump! :cool2: :cool: :)

1988starter
12-25-2003, 06:08 PM
im bumping this back up because i got the sensor and spent hours trying to get the old one off and failed i cut it in half so i could get a socket on it and completly drenched it with wd-40 and it wont even budge. I finally gave up and was driving it around with out the sesor connected just stock in their, and the car was actually running better with out it connected is this ok to drive with out it connected or not? and does any one have any ideas on how to get it out.
Put a deep socket on it and get a pipe to put over the end of the wrench try hitting the pipe with a hammer.

RobT5580
12-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Or put a torch on it that should do the trick even just a small one around the house for plumbing should work.

adams86lxi
12-26-2003, 11:01 AM
if i let the car run for a few minutes would this just be the same thing as me putting a torch on it?

adams86lxi
12-26-2003, 11:46 PM
well finally got it out just came back its 11:45 at night. we finnally got it off with a huge breaker bar. I havent put the new one in yet. Damn it sounds so mean while i was driving home because their was nothing in place of the sensor.LOL