PDA

View Full Version : the ALL SALVAGE BODY KIT project

toastyghost
06-29-2002, 02:15 PM
I am trying to make the CHEAPEST 3G BODY KIT EVAR!@#
The only thing I know for certain I'm doing will be the TransSport sideskirts. There have been a lot of ideas floating around the board for a front bumper but I don't know what will be best because people haven't posted pics of their custom bumpers. If you have a CRX lip or BOWSAWMAGIC Firebird bumper like someone was talking about... please post a pic in this thread! Also I am completely clueless about what to do for the rear bumper.. for that, I might just splurge and get the Kaminari one from NOPI for $250. The main thing is the front bumper though, please post pics!@#

toastyghost
06-29-2002, 02:20 PM
A couple more things about mad ghetto salvage body accessories:

The red and white back bumper lenses off an Eagle Summit look bad-ass and about the right size for the front bumpers on our cars.

The mini-touring wing off a Pontiac Sunbird looks cool as shit and is flat-mounted. So no worries about the outside fins coming down too low like with some "universal" touring wings. These things are on http://www.spoilers4less.com/, new for about $180 I think, but I'm sure you get a salvage one much cheaper.

Oh yeah, and if anyone else has salvage body kit parts to suggest like flairs or mirrors or I don't know whatever, post your ideas!

87Hybrid
06-30-2002, 09:15 AM
These pics are from my Civic.
- Ford taurus sideskirts
- 90 Celica mirrors
- Eclipse front bumper

The front bumper will be hard as hell because the honda bumpers are a black rubber base and most all other manufactures use a yellow urethane base in the materialsand I havent found an adheasive that will bond the two together yet. My rear bumper is going through revision right now .
I will post it when I start to get it together.
Hope that this helps.
I am hopeing to have the civic ready for paint around the end of the year, But I've said that 2 years running.
My new hood

http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=995
http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=997
http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=998
http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1097

toastyghost
06-30-2002, 02:04 PM
How hard is it to drill holes for bolts to hold the thing on? Definitely keep me posted on this, those parts look cool as hell.

87Hybrid
06-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Which parts are you talking about?

toastyghost
06-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Which ones? Hmm... Everything you have. :D I'm going salvage shopping tomorrow so I'll keep that stuff in mind...

87Hybrid
07-01-2002, 05:32 PM
I had to make some z brackets for the ground effects, Teh mirrors I had to make some new mounting plates that go between teh door and the mirror and had to round the front as it came to a point.

When you are checking out parts for your car make sure to take them of of the donar car and test fit them on a 3G in the yard to make sure that they are compatable and figure out how you will attach tem.

(x_x)
07-01-2002, 10:10 PM
Haha, that civic is gonne be mad when you're done. How long have you been working on it / when will it be done?

:)

toastyghost
07-06-2002, 12:12 AM
I had an idea about how I could make stock 3G bumpers into kit-like bumper covers:

For the front, I would cut the recessed vertical part off the bottom of two 3G front bumpers and attach them top-to-bottom and also make cuts so that the grills would form a single, much bigger grill. Then I could patch the side parts of the bumper with scraps from the Taurus or TransSport side skirts, since moving the lower grill up/forward would make it not quite reach back to the wheel wells. It will look almost aggressor-style if it comes out the way I envision it.

For the rear, I would cut my rear bumper off below the flat vertical part and attach that to the bottom part of a donor bumper that would be cut the same way ABOVE the vertical part. This would effectively increase the height of the vertical part to lower the lipped part of the bumper, giving it a lower profile.

I would of course measure all this stuff out so that the bottoms of all the pieces would be about the same distance from the ground. That will all depend on the width of the side skirts. I'll try to draw some kind of diagram to illustrate what I think I could do with it.

87Hybrid
07-06-2002, 07:41 AM
I see what you are saying. How are you planning to attach the pieces?

toastyghost
07-06-2002, 03:09 PM
I would attach everything with custom brackets and also epoxy, erring toward gaps so nothing is overlapping. Then I'll fill the gaps and prime/paint over the body filler patches. I know a lot of people think Bondo is ghetto but it can be really useful. And besides, try to tell someone making custom ground effects on a $150 budget out of factory parts isn't ghetto anyway... :D

87Hybrid
07-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Marhyde makes a bumper filler that I have has some pretty good luck with it. Send us some picks of the process.

toastyghost
07-06-2002, 08:48 PM
I'll post pics when I start working on it but right now I'm still in the process of finding the shit... One salvage yard north of town has a bunch of 3G's but they don't separate front bumpers because they sell a lot of front cuts and some restorable chassis. They also had problems with break-ins or something so they don't let you just wander the yard and find what you want anymore. :rant:

hondaman87
07-07-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 87Hybrid
I am hopeing to have the civic ready for paint around the end of the year, But I've said that 2 years running.

My new hood

nice hood

toastyghost
07-10-2002, 05:20 PM
A friend of mine that used to work in a body shop said another way to do a cheap kit is to drape cheesecloth or something off the bumper and paint it to your stock bumper with fiberglass resin, molding the resin to whatever shape you want at the bottom using a putty knife or whatever you want. I might look into this since it would take about $20 per bumper to experiment with and the outcome would look more like a "normal" body kit than a junkyard project. I've also considered making a large lip spoiler out of a spare bumper and mounting it to the holes where people have done their CRX lips and the like. BTW what year Celica are those mirrors off of?

87Hybrid
07-10-2002, 07:38 PM
I got them off of a 90. 90-93 were the same.

hondaman87
07-10-2002, 07:40 PM
how you like this hood scoop

how about this

`

87Hybrid
07-10-2002, 07:51 PM
You did a good job on those.

GreenMachine
07-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Who's silver hatch is that - that is sweeeetttt....
Any body know what side skirts those are as well as the front kit

Damnnnnnnn ssswwweeeeetttt !!!:beer:

killerb09
07-11-2002, 04:42 AM
jjust a tip...my car has custom sides on it...I just had some metal lying around bent it a little over 90 degress and attached it with double sided tape and tehn fiberglassed over the "lip" to cover teh edge...

caped teh ends in with fiberglass adn stuff...looks neato and did the trick to cover my rust holes...

if you want just go to a custom metal fab shop(tehy mostly will be making duct work adn stuff for buildings) adn ask if they can bend up some parts for you...

mine cost me like $50 tops for materials adn stuff...

usually palces will bend up andyuthign up to 5' for around $30 or so....then you have a nice clean crisp bend and look awesome....

for your front try adding stryfom pieces and triming them into something you like with cardboard adn stuff....just keep adding and cutting untill you like the look....

then cover the whiole thign with fibergls cloth and resin (liek 4mil cloth will be strong enough :)
allow it to dry well....you'll most likely need to use Bondo to fill in teh imperfections and stuff....make it nice and smooth...now gell coat it and then primer and paint it...

if you car is lowered make suire your new friont isn't too low or it will crack and break apart first contact it has with a curb or somethign since the glass isn't flexible...

I'm planning something like this soon when I get the sei back running and on the road....but first I need to find new inner wheel arches to weld into my car...

hondaman87
07-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Who's silver hatch is that - that is sweeeetttt....
Any body know what side skirts those are as well as the front kit

Damnnnnnnn ssswwweeeeetttt !!!:beer:

mine and is all costum i have a post that has more pics and where this parts came from.here it is (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3155)

Shagen
07-19-2002, 03:25 PM
All these kit Idea's are Great I may have to some of them myself

toastyghost
07-19-2002, 10:04 PM
Make sure you post pics of your efforts!

A20A1
04-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Any progress on your civic?

bullard123
04-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Man this thread is old but it still has some good opinions though.

89AccordResto
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
These pics are from my Civic.
- Ford taurus sideskirts
- 90 Celica mirrors

Dude. The accord is angular. Putting those swoopy curvy side view mirrors on such an angular car just looks horrid. I mean, it looks worse than horrid. You might think it's a mod, but it looks like a skier wearing a sombrero.