PDA

View Full Version : Making an exhaust gasket?

4DoorAccordDX
12-19-2003, 12:24 AM
I need an exhaust gasket for my header. I have the Pacesetter header, and I need the gasket that mates the header and the downpipe. Can I make one or do I have to order one? This leak is really getting annoying. Or should I get some of the exhaust repair tape, and just wrap it around a couple times?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

buish
12-19-2003, 02:26 AM
does the pacesetter use the stock honda gaskets? my dc sports header does, and i can just get the lx-i gaskets from honda.

if not, try getting some gasket paper and cut out gaskets that way, if u have a spare gasket or might have to get a tracing from the flanges? or another alternative is to use the liquid gasket, about $5-6 a tube. i use the red color one on my 2 stroke motor, but i hear the black color one is suppose to be the best. don't know how well liquid gasket will hold though. recommended 24 hour to cure.

Dibbs
12-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Just go to the dealer and get the gaskets you need. You could go to the autoparts for that matter. Either way you will get the gaskets you need. You can't make your own for your downpipe b/c there's a metal crush ring on the flange gaskets needed to seal the flanges.

dXsquared
12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
actually, the pacesetter uses a custom gasket that cant be bought anywhere...

you need to buy some gasket paper, take the stainless mesh gasket core, and trace it out, cut it, make 2, stick em together with copper silicone, and stick em back in...

make shur you use new bolts, with metal lock nuts, lock washers and lots of torque... then after a week, re tighten them..

i belive the gasket paper is Mr Gasket P/N 77...

Travis

1988starter
12-20-2003, 02:20 PM
I used about 6 layers of 20 gause sheet steel worker very nice I just cut it out with snipps

Justin86
12-20-2003, 04:40 PM
I have treid that paper gasket crap and it dosen't work. One prob with the pacesetters is that the flanges will warp sometimes and you will need to get it machined before it will every seal perfect. Mine has been leaking for 6 months now and not one or two gaskets could get close to making it seal.

PhydeauX
12-20-2003, 07:08 PM
I cut one out of a sheet of soft copper I got at a hardware store, workes fine. Don't bother trying to buy one from pacesetter, you'll just end up wasting your money. The honda gaskets will not work.

andy

wprocomp
12-20-2003, 08:20 PM
go to napa auto parts...give them this #F7-284...all you need to do is trim the two rear holes and its done...I have had mine on for a year now and its doing fine...and I drive the shit out of the accord..

chefbomb
12-22-2003, 01:49 PM
I used the gasket paper and made two, stuck them together with high temp copper sealer and painted it with high temp paint and thats been a few month's ago and no problem's.

Justin86
12-24-2003, 11:36 AM
I cut one out of a sheet of soft copper I got at a hardware store, workes fine. Don't bother trying to buy one from pacesetter, you'll just end up wasting your money. The honda gaskets will not work.

andy

How much is this soft copper and how thick is it?