PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

TJ89Accord
12-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey I have been thinking about getting XM radio lately. My CD player is XM ready, so all I need is the tuner and the antenna. Does anyone here have it? What kind of setup do you have? Wheres a good place to get the tuner, and what price do they usually go for?

Ill probably check Ebay, but any sites with reviews would be cool.

Thanks

tim

shane_lxi
12-19-2003, 10:27 PM
XM is great! You can get whatever music you want, whenever you want it! My mom has it in her van. She got the reciever at Sears. I don't like recomending Sears, but this reciever hasn't let us down yet. It is cool. You want to listen to punk, there is a punk channel. You wanna listen to kids shit, they got that too, it's great!

k-roy
12-20-2003, 03:45 AM
I think Hostilejava has Xm, damnit I wish I could search.

Its pretty good service, I like it. I will probably get it when I get another deck. Too bad there is a monthly fee and there still are ads, not on all channels but they are there.

Vinny
12-20-2003, 05:34 PM
I did a pretty indepth post on the differences between sirius and xm a few mths back. I had XM before and hated it. It's not nearly as commercial free as they say it is. Out of 70 stations about 30 are commercial free. With Sirius out of 60 channels 60 are commercial free. If you live an an area where you can fill your presets you probably don't need sat radio. If you live an a place like me where you are lucky if you can find 6 decent stations then yeah I'd say its a good idea

shane_lxi
12-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Well really, if you just like music, but don't have shit load of cd's, xm or sirius are the way to go. You can hear the music you want, without going out and buying the cd for every band or musician you like.

StUpiD8000
12-22-2003, 11:59 PM
How much is ether?

damnthesenames
12-26-2003, 12:03 AM
XM - 9.99 Straight line sat. pattern over the continental us.
Siruis - 12.95 Figure eight over the cont. us.

Sirius 100% Commercial free music, XM upto 10 minutes per hour of comercials.

I sell this stuff all day, anyone has any questions I can answer 'em, or get the answer :)

HostileJava
12-26-2003, 05:53 AM
I went with XM since that's what my headunit supported. If your HU is XM ready that usually means you need to buy a reciever from the company that makes the head unit. The antennea can be any brand however. I went with a roof mount Terk Unit that can be painted to match the color of the car. I really enjoy it and the commercials don't really bother me, there are alot less then on regular stations and there are enough stations to flip through so that they can be totally avioded. I wouldn't kid yourself to much about ad free radio though. I have a feeling at some point that both XM and Siruis are going to need ads to support them. Honestly out of 101 stations or whatever it is I listen to maybe 10-15 of them regularly. But it's nice to have those other stations when u have someone else in the car. So if your asking is it worth the 9.99 a month. Yes it is, in fact Jen(HostilesHoney) wants to get it in her car now.

TJ89Accord
12-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Hey Hostile what reciever did you get? My radio is XM ready, and I might wanna get a tuner. OOOhhh, I can search now! lol... Well, any help is appreciated.

thanks

tim

HostileJava
12-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Well I got the Pioneer GEX-P900XM. But you'll probably have to get a reciever that matches your HU if you want to use the built in XM functionality. Mine connects to pioneers IP Bus so that i don't have to run audio and data cables seperately up to the HU. I just run one data cable up and the head unit detects that it's an XM reciever and adds that option to my menu.