PDA

View Full Version : lowering Question

adams86lxi
12-19-2003, 10:55 PM
I was thinking about getting some coil covers but i dont want to have my car lowered and the wheels to look like this / \ , and i dont really want to get a camber kit. What is the lowest setting i could set some and possibly just get a aligntment so my tires wont look like this / \. Thanks

AZmike
12-19-2003, 11:05 PM
My rear is down 1.1" and I only have -0.5 degree camber. I set my front to -0.5 also, but I'm not sure what it would have been if I had left it alone. I've heard up to 1.5" is ok for both front and rear without correction.

It takes quite a bit of camber to wear the tires unevenly if the toe setting is correct. A little bit of negative camber helps compensate for the extra wear the outside of the tires see during hard cornering and improves cornering grip somewhat.

adams86lxi
12-19-2003, 11:16 PM
if i lower my car 1.5 inches with the coil covers. What cheap struts could i run. Can i run some stock replacements like KYBs i dont mind a stiffer ride i kinda would like it since i have the stock 17 year old struts on their now. I just dont want to be going down the street with it bouncing like crazy.

adams86lxi
12-19-2003, 11:19 PM
maybe something like these http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Accord+LX+Sedan&autoYear=1986&autoModClar=&make=KYB&model=GR-2+Shock&group=GR-2

mykwikcoupe
12-19-2003, 11:57 PM
coilovers are way firmer than stock springs. To accomidate this you need struts that can handle the same stiffness. The only stuts that can handle coilovers are koni(which you wont find anymore) and bilstiens. You would have to get the bilsteins revalved to handle the coilovers. Some people would say if your getting coilovers to get the lowboyz. I dont know as I just sold my coilovers I was planning on using.

The safest I would say you could go without wear problems(after a tire alignment) is about 2 inches front and back. I have a sedan with eibach prokit springs and tokico blues. Rides nice for regular driving. Firmer than stock and a little bouncy at times. No complaints here. I also have a coupe with sprints and konis. Great ride rides on rails. Id recommend but you cant get konis anymore. Just my 2 cents

shepherd79
12-20-2003, 03:42 AM
lpwering your car will cost you money. you can't just drop lowering springs and drive. well you can, but your car will ride like shit.
if you want coilovers, get lowboyz.