PDA

View Full Version : In the aftermath of PCV...

87DXHatch
06-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Well I finally changed my PCV valve and let me tell you, it was neither fun nor easy but I learned an enormous amount about my engine/engine compartment/etc. in the process.

I posted this elsewhere but I thought it needed it's own thread:

Originally posted by 87DXHatch
Well I finally got the SOB out...

I remember someone on here said it was a 5-minute job... it took me 2 and a half hours!!!! That was the most hellish nightmare I have ever been through with my car (considering it's the second more than easy job I've done, the first being replacing a wiper fluid motor...)!!! I swear after the first hour and a half of taking the airbox and hoses off, which I don't think has ever been done on this car before, we (It took me and my big brother) wrenched on that PCV valve for at least 40 minutes with every pliers we could find using every technique we could think of. Finally he just used all of his might and got it out.

Um, how cracked is too cracked for the grommet the PCV valve is in? Because I put a crack in the side of it but it doesn't look too bad...

I was wondering... can anyone list some jobs that are routine sort of maintainence and are more difficult than the PCV and the jobs that are less difficult?

Also, will this fix the problem that I have when my car runs for like 30 minutes at least, and then I shut it off, when I turn it back on the idle shoots up to 3g's and won't go down...? The valve I took out was really full of black crap and really dirty. I just whipped it to the ground as hard as I could...

What a freaking ordeal... but when I put the key in the ignition and the car started, and I realized I hadn't screwed it up to the point of not working, the feeling was sooooo good...

You have to be sooo rough with some parts to get them out! I'm not used to it yet... working on cars isn't as easy or glamorous as you people make it seem... but I'm learning...

Thanks for all the help. 3 months of posting about my PCV valve and I finally get it fixed!!

So I'm here to report the results:

Instead of going into fast idle everytime, my car now goes almost straight into normal/almost normal idle and I can take off. It's 90 degrees but before I changed the valve it would still go into high rpms to start out.

I changed the valve for one reason, really, and I have yet to find out if changing the valve rectified my problem. When it's hot out, and my car has been running for like 10-30 minutes and I shut it off, when turning it back on it jumps into very very high rpms and won't come down, causing all sorts of problems. This situation hasn't occured yet so I do not know if the problem was rectified.

And a final comment:
If you have never changed the valve before, do it, and allow at least 2 hours of time to do everything; it is time consuming, painful (I got several harsh cuts and scrapes...), and difficult... but it is worth it! :D

POS carb
06-29-2002, 08:41 PM
sounds like you mixed up some hoses and/or left some disconnected. From your post it appears you don't have much knowledge about the vacuum system but if you can get a digicam and some snaps of your engine bay I can spot any problems in the routing for you...

87DXHatch
06-29-2002, 10:10 PM
I don't get it... where did I mention anything wrong?

accordlx
06-30-2002, 04:22 AM
Im kinda curious why you said this project takes 2 hours. It took me less than 15 minutes if you take off the base of the air cleaner.

RCracer
06-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by accordlx
Im kinda curious why you said this project takes 2 hours. It took me less than 15 minutes if you take off the base of the air cleaner.

I aggree with accordlx I changed my pcv valve the other week and it only took me 15-20mins and that was modifying the pcv valve hose as my new pcv valve (from a 87 integra) has a right angle bend on it and the pcv pipe needed changing/cutting too.

87DXHatch
07-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Well... I think the previous owners of my car didn't do a whole lot for upkeep. I think it was a "If it's not broken, don't fix it" sort of situation.

Well anyway, that and I'm very inexperienced in the realm of car work. I guess getting all the hoses and crap disconnected and the airbox off wasn't too hard, but we did spend at least 40 minutes tugging on that PCV valve before it came out...

I think next year, or whenever I decide to change it again, it should take me much much less time because I now know what all needs to be disconnected and taken off and everything...