PDA

View Full Version : What type of oil filter do I buy??

A Dawg Jr
12-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Changing my oil for the *gasp* first time, but don't know what oil filter to get...

zero.counter
12-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Wicks or K&N are pretty good, I however use the cheapy frams and have done so for the last 110k miles.

Neuspeed87lx
12-20-2003, 03:15 PM
just go to your local car store and get one for the car you have ....it dosent really matter .... i use motorcraft filters because i work at a ford dealership and i get to change my oil for 5 bucks and thats what ford recemends for their cars ....

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-20-2003, 03:16 PM
I use Purolator PureOne filters and they seem to work well. I used to use the genuine Honda ones, but since the ones now are made by fram I've quit using them (the ones that are made in canada at least.... the us and japan made ones are still good)

k-roy
12-20-2003, 05:51 PM
K&N #1004 is what I use

88Accord-DX
02-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Anything but a freaking FRAM oil filter. :)

Oldy but goody station, KRAEGdead-thread.

snoopyloopy
02-11-2006, 10:28 PM
right now i have a fram toughguard on my car. they say they should last for 7,000 miles instead of the usual 3. #3593TG for the toughguard version. just plain 3593 for our cars, and add the suffix for whatever type of filter you're getting.

A20A1
02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I use the K&N gold ones.

TheWatcher
02-12-2006, 01:17 AM
I use the OEM Honda Oil filters. They are supposed to be better than the aftermarket filters, although I forgot the reason why. :)

Peace.

mkymonkey
02-12-2006, 03:18 AM
i use fram and the mobil 1 filters for our cars. theyre like 3 bucks at autozone. you guys probably dont recommend these but eh..its just a filter. plus im pretty good about changing my oil every 3k mi

LiTtLe xOx BitT
02-12-2006, 05:59 AM
An oil filter is an oil filter to me. BTW did anyone realize this thread is over 2 years old??

SQ is the SQUAD
02-12-2006, 06:52 AM
u can get a purelator for like $1 and some short change

Deadhead
02-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Bosch 3312

Fuck fram... seriously they are awefull filters.

Get the bosch filter and pay 6 bucks, i'ts worth it.

then get some Castrol 10w-30

HondaBoy
02-13-2006, 02:08 AM
i have found that i get a better first start of the day when i used something like a nippon filter i can buy at the honda dealership. i'm poor so i had to get a fram last time. i honestly can say my oil gets dirtier when useing a fram. but thats just me. i'm probley gonna try a wix because a lot of engine minded guys have told me those are quite good at doing the filtering job.

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 02:18 AM
I use the OEM Honda Oil filters. They are supposed to be better than the aftermarket filters, although I forgot the reason why. :)
Peace.
:stupid:

DBMaster
02-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't know that it reall matters that much. Bob is the oil guy dot com has said several times that one of the better filters out there is the Super Tech from Wal Mart that costs $2 while the Mobil 1 filters are not that great. I have used the high end Fram (X3 I think), Wal Mart, Pure One, Wix, and Castrol (got them on clearance when KMart left the Dallas area). The only way to be sure that your oil filter is doing a good job is to get your oil analyzed for wear particles and to measure oil pressure drop. Looks can be deceiving because color does not tell you much about the condition of the oil. For example, diesel engines turn their oil black in no time, but it does not mean the oil is bad. Soot is tough to filter out, but the particles are so tiny that they do not increase wear. I think that there is far too much fanatacism about oil and filters.

cubert
02-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Ive always used hastings...

TheWatcher
02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
:stupid:
No, I think you mean that YOU are STUPID. :)

:wtf:

:chainsaw:

:rocket:

idiot.

Peace (to everyone else)

88Accord-DX
02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I've use the Super Tech from Wal-Mart, along with the sythectic oil too. I've heard some bad things from using Fram oil filters, but that is just hearsay.

Oil filter is a oil filter, but I'll stay away from FRAM though.

gfrg88
02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
i use bosh but when im broke i use fram tough guard.....

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
No, I think you mean that YOU are STUPID. :)
:wtf:
:chainsaw:
:rocket:
idiot.
Peace (to everyone else)

No I write my name on my underwear so I don't forget it.....wait my names not Bob, who is Bob???

DBMaster
02-14-2006, 07:29 AM
All this slamming of Fram. When I was in my 20's that was all I used. That's what my Honda had for the first several years of its life. Fram is Allied Signal which is now owned by Honeywell. Chances are many of the other filters you are using are made by the same people. I think they are all pretty much fine, honestly. A big deal about nothing.

vongiese
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
That's interesting - I just noticed "Honeywell" as the maker of a Honda filter...
Tho I have read oil filter critiques that rated some fram filters at/near the bottom...
I bought a bunch of Nippon filters - $3.50 each online-Lute Riley honda

88Accord-DX
02-19-2006, 09:10 PM
They are made with inferior components, and many many people have reported more valvetrain noise on startup with these filters. They use cardboard endcaps which can easily leak and cheap bypass valves which are known to stick open. You could get lucky and run them without a problem, but knowing that there are better choices for the same money, why take a chance? I'd go with an AC Delco or Purolator filter for the same money, both of these are solidly built filters.

If you do a google search on Fram oil filters, you'll find enough horror stories on why they suck.

Here are a few I found over the years:

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/FRAM_recall.html

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/fluidfilter.htm

shepherd79
02-20-2006, 07:59 AM
I far as i see, FRAM is not bad. My best friend's dad uses only FRAM filters and he never had to rebuild or do any major repairs to his engines.

If you read honda manual that came with your car, it will say that you supposed to change oil every 7000 miles. At least that is what my maual said.
What i found out from my experience was that the cheap filters only last up to 3000-3500 miles. that is the filters that cost up to $3.
Filters that are in mid range price $3-$7 holded up a little better. They lasted about 5000 miles.
The expensive filters $7 or more. can last more than 7000 miles.

over all, stick with medium priced oil filters. I say go with Bosch, Fram toughguard, or Pureone purelator.

On the oil subject. If you go to Honda dealer and look at the oil they sell. you will find that it is made by Mobil oil Company. So just get Mobil 10w30 or 10w40 and you will be fine.

DBMaster
02-20-2006, 08:23 AM
I don't recall if I saw, with all the Fram bashing, that Honda OEM filters are now made by HONEYWELL (aka Fram). Isn't that interesting.

The Nippon filters, formerly what Honda used as OEM, are available online for cheap, but they are made in Korea, not Japan - not that there's anything wrong with that.

I stand by my earlier statement that it does not make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

spnrx
02-20-2006, 09:04 AM
once I can find and get my filter off then I can pick a filter to put on my 87 LX

86-accord-lxi
02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I just changed my oil with castrol gtx high mileage 10w-40.
I went ahead and spent the couple extra dollars and bought the top of the line wix for 5 bucks . Fram use to be good, but they made a corporate decision to make the construction of their filters cheaper, so they could sell them at "mass-market" places like wal-mart for 2 bucks or so. They limited it to their top selling numbers. If you have a honda, detroit diesel, or mack which use fram as their supplier you still stand a chance of getting a decent filter. It's the trade name extra guard, and toughguard that are the junk one's. A long time ago grassroots did a comprehensive test of popular oil filters, two of which were fram and wix. Wix won and fram was one of the last on the list. Go to an auto store that has the cutaways on display and
examine the filter thoroughly, Then look at a fram or other lower end filter
like super tech, do a side by side comparison if you can. Then pick whichever you think has better structural integrity, or better build quality. You can tell just by looking at them which is better.

Yesterday 11:10 PM
ddude2uc They are made with inferior components, and many many people have reported more valvetrain noise on startup with these filters. They use cardboard endcaps which can easily leak and cheap bypass valves which are known to stick open. You could get lucky and run them without a problem, but knowing that there are better choices for the same money, why take a chance? I'd go with an AC Delco or Purolator filter for the same money, both of these are solidly built filters.

If you do a google search on Fram oil filters, you'll find enough horror stories on why they suck.

Here are a few I found over the years:

He's right, even AC delco and purolator are better than fram. Do your 3g a favor, treat her right, and use a wix filter, or at least an AC delco. Don't
abuse your 3g by using fram filters.

HondaBoy
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
what ddude2uc said is what i've experienced with using fram oil filters. i get a hard-ish start every 1st start of the day when using a fram. when i put a nippon filter on it did quit and that's why i will talk some shit about them, although i'm using a fram right now. and boy did my oil get dirty quickly. talk to professional racers. they usually will cut the filters in half with a saw or other means and inspect the internals for how its working. i've seen that done. i'm going to probley just do it just for the hell of it when i do oil changes. maybe i'll find something interesting in comparing filters? i'll follow up on that.

Cheeseburger
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
ive heard a few guys talk about this filter i was going to post and make a new thread but i found this one

Hamp Oil Filter
http://www.passwordjdm.com/product.asp?P_ID=497&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=hamp&numPageStartPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=all&PT_ID=all

mkymonkey
02-20-2006, 12:08 PM
hey cheese! clear out your PM Box!

anyway...looks like a reg honda filter but green. and that site lies! it says you save if you buy in bulk. you only save 9 cents when you buy ten. i mean
6.99 x 10 = 69.90

damn my highschool math teacher would be proud

Cheeseburger
02-20-2006, 12:10 PM
hey cheese! clear out your PM Box!

anyway...looks like a reg honda filter but green. and that site lies! it says you save if you buy in bulk. you only save 9 cents when you buy ten. i mean
6.99 x 10 = 69.90

damn my highschool math teacher would be proud

whoops

its cleaned

StressSolutions
02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Why change every 3k, it says on my air cleaner to go 7500....SF rated oil and filter. Opinions?

HondaBoy
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
believe me, you need to change the filters more than the recommendations on the car say. especially here where i live. dusty and salt air is what i deal with.