PDA

View Full Version : Power steering hose leaking ?

ACCORD EX
12-21-2003, 01:35 AM
hello everbody !
i know i haven't post since a long time , but i am really buys this year , becasue i need to get good marks to choose my major in eletrical engineering !
anyway i just had a problem woth my car ! my main PS hise from the PS pump to the rack ( the one passing infront of the exhaust manifold ) is leaking just above the manifold and causing hell of smoke , it's gone worse now so i parked the car in the garage !
BTW i think it's cracked somewhere in the middle !

what can i do to fix it ?? ( not replace it )

and if i do replace how much will it cost ! ?

thanx a lot !

Mike !

shepherd79
12-21-2003, 06:14 AM
i know here in the US you can buy PS leak stoper. I am not sure about Egypt.
you can try the leak stoper, but i would recomend to swap it.

neoblue89lxi
12-21-2003, 07:20 AM
You should just get one from the junkyard. Mine had the same problem and leaked at the same spot as yours causing it to leak onto the manifold. The non carburated models had a sensor on the pipe down by the firewall that tells the ecu to bump up the idle when turning the wheel al the way, this is to keep you from stalling. I have a FI engine but used the pipe from a carburated car with no sensor and my car runs just fine. It doesnt come close to stalling at all. If you go to the junkyard you will get some knowledge on how to install on your car since you will be removing it from another. I paid 10 bucks for mine and if it leaked I could get another for free so it is cheap compared to the more than a hundred dollar ones that aren't even Honda oem parts. A little advise when you install the pipe you will have to remove the intake and the sway bar to get more room to work with and it will be messy so keep a bottle handy to drain the fluid. You will nedd about 3 bottles of Honda fluid and they are about 2 bucks a peice. If you have any questions just let me know and Ill walk you through the process.

smufguy
12-21-2003, 07:33 AM
how is your power steering rack doing mike? that sucks that in Egypt you dont the availability of parts like we do in the US. Cant you use a heat treated sealing tape of some sort to tape the hose? Its a bitch to change cus the other end bolts on to the rack and shit is all the way inside the rear cross member. On some cars its sooo friggin rusted that the bolt just starts to strip no matter what.

ACCORD EX
12-21-2003, 12:43 PM
BTW it 's the upper hose ! and how can i tape it ! i know that these pipes are metal from inside and covered with rubber ! so should i cut the rubber to get the metal ? or what !

thanx a lot guys !

BTW i think it's very easy to access to ! all bolts i see ! ( as i said it's the upper hose ) !

Mike !

shepherd79
12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
mike, if you want a hose i can send you one of my parts car. they are in good working condition.

ACCORD EX
12-21-2003, 03:31 PM
thanx a lot ! but i 'll think i 'll manage to fix it ( you don't imagine what people fix here in egypt ! :D ) or get a used one from here ! but thanx a lot for offering !

BTW i have figured out that it's not metal tube covered with rubber ! damn i was wrong ! :(

Mike !

smufguy
12-21-2003, 07:25 PM
thanx a lot ! but i 'll think i 'll manage to fix it ( you don't imagine what people fix here in egypt ! :D ) or get a used one from here ! but thanx a lot for offering !

BTW i have figured out that it's not metal tube covered with rubber ! damn i was wrong ! :(

Mike !

Well why not cut the part thats broken. throw it out and insert a smaller metal tube that would fit snuggly under the rubber hose?

ACCORD EX
12-22-2003, 01:49 AM
it think i'll do something like that !
thanx a lot guys for all the inputs !

:)

Mike

smufguy
12-22-2003, 08:31 AM
well there are two bolts on the pwr steering pump itself. but the other end of the hose is attached to the pwr steering rack itself if im not mistaken. so how do u remove that?, small pipe wrenches are the solution. i could not even remove chris' cause it was really rusted

3rd GEN
12-22-2003, 10:01 AM
I had the same problem.. actually..i haven't fixed it yet, cuz i just disconnected my power-steering!!! hahaha solved that problem, and added 5hp to the wheels :cool2:

those hoses are a pain to replace..you can't fix it because it is a " High-pressure" hose, i tried fixing mine, and nothing worked...

i say just disconnect it...way better.. i love my car with no power-steering better then with power steering..ahha

DBMaster
12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I replaced mine about five years ago. The replacement hose cost me $26 at NAPA. I already had flare nut wrenches (which is what you need to loosen the end connected to the gearbox). Really, the hardest part of the job is getting the old hose pulled up past the place where it goes over the steering rack. The metal pipe portion of the hose is bent in several odd angles.

It's quite a messy job, but no more than a couple of hours.

Xulfiqar
12-23-2003, 12:48 AM
its no use installing anything other than the OEM pipe - I tried it - fabricated a pipe with a scania high pressure brake pipe of the same dia with the honda end pieces. guess what --- the power steering pump whined like a diesel and loaded the engine like anything

So I rummaged through the junkyard to find a like new pipe for 12 US bucks - it had the gearbox part broken off - so I cut my old fitting at the same point and welded it together. Works like new

One more thing - I am using caltex texamatic ATF Dexron 3 in my P/S - its working ok - but a bunch of my freinds say that honda P/S fluid works like magic. Is that so?

DBMaster
12-23-2003, 07:58 AM
From what the mechanics who have replaced the P/S systems have told me you need to use ONLY Honda P/S fluid. Anything else will result in major leaks.

Don't know how long it takes to start leaking, but I would get the Dexron III out of there pretty soon. You can find Honda specific P/S fluid anywhere now. I buy the Bardahl brand at Wal Mart.

ACCORD EX
01-12-2004, 01:14 AM
i have a small related question ! if i am gonna take the hose out ! the part at teh PUMP is easy to loosen ! but what about the other end ! ?? where is it connected too ! ? does it look lik ethe pump end ! or different ?? is difficult to loosen !

thanx a lot guys !

Mike !

shepherd79
01-12-2004, 04:29 AM
the other end is connected to the PS rack. it is a very small fitting and it is very easy to strip it, so be careful.

ACCORD EX
01-12-2004, 07:04 AM
also with bolts ? and can i reach them from above or from under the car ! ?

thanx a lot Alex !

Mikd !

smufguy
01-12-2004, 08:09 AM
also with bolts ? and can i reach them from above or from under the car ! ?

thanx a lot Alex !

Mikd !

well mike those are hte bolts i was previously talking about. THe bolts that are rusted shut on the rack. I thought u said it was easy to unbolt. Anyway, I took my whole rack out to loosen it. Some of the lines would not even budge with a pipe wrench. And yeah, its its rusted, pipe wrench is the way to go.

ACCORD EX
01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
but you get them from under the car ?? or you can get to them from above ! ?

thanx guys !

Mike !

smufguy
01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
i got to it after i removed the whole rear cross member off the car. so i am not sure if its accessable from the top or the bottom.

From what i can see from THe shop manual, seems like its a lot easier from under neath the car.

Check pages 18-35 to 18-40

ACCORD EX
01-13-2004, 04:36 AM
yes i found it ! it's a 14 mm ! thanx a lot for yor help ! it doesn't look easy but i have to get it out to fix the hose !

thanx a lot again smufguy ! :)

Mike !

nswst8
01-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Let us know if we can help, I just sent IceBurn turnsignal, $20 for 4-7 days postage ($10 4-6 weeks) plus the price of the part.
And Iceburn is in Dubai, UAE (India) just to give you a time line.
I'd be willing to ship if needed, I'm headed to the junkyard later this week, I'll check on the price to pull one.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

ACCORD EX
01-13-2004, 08:04 AM
ok thanx a lot for the offer ! i 'll see if can repair it ! ( which will be cheaper due to exchange rates ! )

thanx a lot again !

Mike !

ACCORD EX
01-14-2004, 02:46 AM
just another small question before i proceed ! do i have to drain the PS fluid ! ?
because i really don't wanna do that ! !! is there any good way goin around it !!

thanx a lot guys !

Mike !

Bioforge
01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Thats to long to read, so i'll make it brief. My car had the same issue, and you can't tape it or anything, you have to replace it....As hard as it may seem, its fairly easy, just hard to get to..and no you dont have to drain the p/s, though a lil will drain out when you pull the hose.

ACCORD EX
01-15-2004, 08:08 AM
but when i pul the hose at the rack will it leak a lot ???

thanx !

Mike !

nswst8
01-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey Mike, The only fluid that will leak is what is in the line itself, since the car isn't running theres no pressure in the line and the pump itself doesn't hold alot.
Disconnect at the pump first lower the line as much as possible to drain whats in the line. and then you should be able to work from there. place a plug in the p/s pump opening.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

carotman
01-15-2004, 08:27 AM
you can use hydrolic fittings to replace the hose.

ACCORD EX
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
well thanx guys i am doing the job next wednesday and will tell you what happens !

Mike !

ACCORD EX
01-22-2004, 01:39 PM
finally !!!!!!!! i got the hose put after it got the $%$#% out of me ! the 14 mm nut at the steering gearbox was already on it's way to be stripped ! the clips holding the hose on it 's way were shit to take out ! and after all that i couldn't manage to get the hose out because of the bends at the end of the hose ( metal part of the hose ) ! i had to take the sway bar out , unhook other PS hoses and speed sensor hoses to take it out !! DAMN !! that took me 4 HOURS !! anyway i don't know how would i manage to get it back in after i fix it ! but i think it's kinda free for it now ! (just have to remember the routing ! i hope my friend ( the mechanic ) will be able to fix it ! sorry guys had to vent a little !

Mike

smufguy
01-22-2004, 09:55 PM
u better pray that ur steering does not knock or jerk after u put the pwr steering rack back in. Its gonna be fun. Wait, did u take it out???

skull1441
01-24-2004, 06:36 AM
hehe .. i know this is out of the subject but when u guys say Egypt, u mean the country Egypt ??????????????