PDA

View Full Version : Things that piss me off about accords, particularly 4gs

AccordEpicenter
12-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Man i cant tell you guys how many distributors and/or ignitors ive replaced on 3g and 4g accords. Today was another one. I had to work today so im going into work driving my 92 lx (pissed because its sunday) and the tach started going haywire so first thing i think is dizzy ignitor... I go a few more miles and it starts missing and running rough, so i get off the interstate and head towards work and stop for the last light before i turn to go down the street where the lab is at, and i start to accel away from the light when it turns green and it coughs sputters and chugs, and 5 seconds later it dies. I try to restart, no good... cranking cranking cranking, just check engine light on. I turn it off and try to restart again and it does and idles fine, so i put it into gear and drive off and it does the same thing and dies 20 ft down the road. I do that for about a block, coasting into work... Anywho i had to have my dad go get me a dizzy (good thing we had one around) and bring it out to me so we changed the ignitor it and it runs now... but damn wtf is with honda distributors/ignitors? Im on my 3rd dizzy in my 3g, that sucks!!!! Man i miss the 3g, its put away for the winter.
Another thing that i dont like about the 4g: The turning radius is probably a few feet short of the TITANIC's, the steering is way slow and numb as can be, i thought my 3 was bad, hell no. The 3g has some of the nicest steering compared with those newer accords... a little loose on center but decent feel when turning, a little feedback, not alot, more than the 4g one tho.

k-roy
12-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Sucks about your dizzy issues. I have never had a problem. The 4th gen is a good car, I still perfer my 3G though.

ChaseR
12-21-2003, 01:17 PM
whoa dude, perhaps your car was made on a Monday, I replaced the distributor when I first bought the car and then used the same one when I swapped my motor and it still runs great...

AccordEpicenter
12-21-2003, 09:01 PM
3g is still my fav... The 4 isnt bad at all though, it just seems more of a cruising car, its much quieter than the 3g, oh and ac works

Silver86LX
12-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Are the 4g's as reliable as the 3g's? Because I'm looking at getting a 4g in the spring.

Mystic1
12-23-2003, 02:53 AM
My grand mother has a 4g (1990) and I perfer my 3g. I think the 3g has more power of course hers is an auto dx and mine is a manual lx-i. The one thing I know for sure is that there seems to be more driver leg room in the 3g. At 6'1" I need all I can get. As far as reliable she has had no major problems with hers. But it only has 41k miles and all she dose is go to the store and church

NotA3G
12-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Hey now.
Have your problematic distributors been Hitachi or TEC?
I put up with quite a bit of crap from the Hitachi on my 2G.

I'm jealous of the 3g turning radius and size, but I do love my hydraulic clutch and F-motor mounts :cool:

ICEMAN707
12-23-2003, 08:35 AM
whoa dude, perhaps your car was made on a Monday, I replaced the distributor when I first bought the car and then used the same one when I swapped my motor and it still runs great...

you really swapped an f22a in your 3gee?? do you have any pics? hell, if an f22a can fit, that means h22a can fit too!

POS carb
12-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Mine Did That, It Kept Frying Them Until I Replaced The Coil, Now It Has Lasted 4 Years

hkplayer
12-23-2003, 09:10 AM
Could it be an underlying problem from something else that is directly connected to the dizzy causing the malfunctions/breakdowns? I have no clue, but is it worth considering?

Nospeed
12-23-2003, 10:44 AM
i've got a 4g, and had nothing but good luck with it. 215k and still going strong. no problems. but i would trade it in a heartbeat for a 3g.

k-roy
12-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Hey now.
Have your problematic distributors been Hitachi or TEC?
I put up with quite a bit of crap from the Hitachi on my 2G.

I'm jealous of the 3g turning radius and size, but I do love my hydraulic clutch and F-motor mounts :cool:

I have a hitachi, I think that us the problematic one. Oh man that 2G was a nightmare. It never really wen't away. Hydro clutches are overrated. But I am jealous about your mounts. You can actually swap in a more powerful domestically available engine with little problems.

shane_lxi
12-23-2003, 04:28 PM
i've got a 4g, and had nothing but good luck with it. 215k and still going strong. no problems. but i would trade it in a heartbeat for a 3g.

That would not be a good move on your part. The 90 accord blue books for about $2000 higher then the newest model 3g. Maybe if you sold it, and bought a 1989 accord, and pocketed about $3000 you would be off good. :) I do like hte 3g look, but I still think my favorite year for the accord was the 1992... something about it. Just lie a 3g, but with really well done stationary headlights. Though I LOVE the way the pop ups have been done on the 3g, I must admit that I prefer the newer sandard headlights. Though, I don't know if any of you guys have noticed, the honda accord was just about the only car that actually could pull of the pop-up headlight look. They don't popup too far (probe, mr-2) and don't look gay when they are down (1g teg, miata, probe) they are juuuuusssttttt rrriiiggghhhtt. :)

AccordEpicenter
12-23-2003, 06:49 PM
both are very reliable cars but I believe the f22 isnt nearly as tough as the a20, ive seen 3-4 f22 powered vehicles that started to burn oil like crazy (1qt-250mi or less) at less than 120000 miles because sometimes they can get a scuffed piston and just degrade like crazy. Sometimes this can lead to a broken intake valve in the #2 or #3 cyl usually, the valve face cracks and eventually half of it breaks off into the engine... i think it has something to do with oil consumption. Plus, as every 4g or 5g owner knows, on startup the f22 knocks like crazy due to piston slap, and then it gets quieter. Ive owened quite a few 3g and 4g accords and it was always the 4gs that did that.

hkplayer
12-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Interesting, thanks for the information and experience!

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-23-2003, 07:19 PM
That's why the F-motors are known as the "sewing machine" motors, LOL. But yea, the 4th gens had ALOT of problems with the distributors. Unlike our 3rd gens, in 1990 the 4th gens started using an electronically controlled distributor with an internal coil. There was almost a recall on those cuz there were so many of them going bad, but there never actually was. As for 3rd gens I've never had a single serious problem with my TEC(s) or the ignitors in 330k miles. I did replace my original dizzy a little over a year ago cuz the centrifugal springs were broken inside and rattling around, but it still worked and car ran fine, just a tiny tiny misfire at idle (almost wasn't even noticable, I'm just a perfectionist, lol). The one I got now works beautifully!

Back to the 4th gens.... they're great cars and reliable as any Honda, but I just don't think they were as bulletproof as our 3rd gens. Looking at used 4th gens I see alot that say "rebuilt engine", whereas I very rarely ever see a 3rd gen for sale with a rebuilt.... always says "runs great!". A20 is the most durable, reliable engine EVAR!! :bow: :bow:

AccordEpicenter
12-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Long Live A20a!

MilTownSHO
12-24-2003, 03:38 PM
whoa dude, perhaps your car was made on a Monday

Could very well be, I know my 92 SHO was, everything likes to break on that car! :burn:

My previous 91 SHO's were alot better, but then agian I've put alot more miles on my 92 and only paid a grand for it...

shane_lxi
12-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Looks like somebody had a case of hte mondays. lol. You bought a 4g for a grand. You ripped somebody off good. I wanna live wherever you live, people sound stupid around there, ot atleast they don't know the worth of a car... :P lol

jigga225
12-24-2003, 07:00 PM
my sister has a 4G (1993 LX Auto)
i could never out-run that thing in my life wit my 3G (87 DX Carbd)
but when i hit the block, the 3G gets all the looks though

AccordEpicenter
12-24-2003, 07:47 PM
yeah well this lady was sellin this car and its hella nice for 1G. I bought a 5g accord lx 5 speed with the radio stolen out of it and the interior a lil dirty for 2g... Itll be a nice car when im done with it