PDA

View Full Version : where's a safe place to jack up the front of the car??

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Figure I better learn before I get a flat and don't know what to do... :idea:

pimp86LX
12-21-2003, 12:39 PM
along the rockers you will see flattened areas near the front and rear.

Sometimes i just the front by the tow-hook for oil changes.

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Define:

Rockers
Front and Rear??? Axels??? What?
Tow-Hook for oil changes

lol, wow most of that went over my head because you used the word rockers, and I don't know what those are... goooood thing I'm taking an auto class next year..

pimp86LX
12-21-2003, 12:47 PM
ohh kay...if you look underneth the rockers , like right where they curve back, you'll see a flap kinda thing that runs the length of the rocker. its looks like to flaps of metal are welded together. and two areas near the front...and the back will be folded flat. those are the lift points. there are two lift points on either side near the front and back. It'd be helluva lot easier to show you a diagram but i dont have one.

Up near the front center theres a big ass hook for winching towing tie-down or whathave you, im lazy so i sometimes life from that to get axle stands under the sides both at a time. Its not a very smart place as it can be unstable if off balance.

edit: rocker panels is the part of the body that runs underneath the doors.

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Could you refference the lift points from the two front wheels?? I see the hook, and right straight back from the hook are two metal flaps, that's where I should lift? Or that's where you get lazy and lift?? I'm going to be changing my oil too, so it' would be nice to know where to lift for that as well.

my86dx4dr
12-21-2003, 12:52 PM
try about 3" behind the wheel, basicly inbetween you start of your drivers door and the fender for the front wheel, hope that helps :idea: :dunno:<<<<<< i want more of these smileys

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
ohhh, Ok, that's a safe place to lift???? Mine looks like plastic... I guess it could be reallly dirty metal though... so 3 inches back from the wheel, but how deep into the car??? like from the out side towards the center of the car?

k-roy
12-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Yea the jack points are about 6" behind the front tires where the fender and door meet up, you should see a notch in the side rail, Its just behing that. The same for the rear, only its in front off the tire. If you get Paul's manual it is in the general info chapter, there are good pics. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 01:02 PM
sweet sweet, thanks guys...

shepherd79
12-21-2003, 01:09 PM
i can't believe you don't know where to jack the car properly.
you have been on this board for a while. man i am suprised.

A Dawg Jr
12-21-2003, 04:29 PM
psh.... me too

MrBen
12-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Never never never put the jack off that strengthened part. Bend bend bend, haha. I learned from experience; I was mad and frustrated and didn't give a rat's ass, and bent the entire thing. I bent it back though. Just don't do that, kay? :D

POS carb
12-26-2003, 04:26 PM
you can jack it by the tow hook in the center of the car, right under the radiator, also underneath where the radius rods hook up (the two big bushings below the bumper that have a rod going towards each wheel)

there's also a lifting spot under the front fender, right between the door and wheel, this is the factory jacking point. I've also lifted my car where the frame meets there.

smufguy
12-28-2003, 11:01 AM
if your car is lowered like a lot of the guys here like 2" or so. THe standard hydo jack aint gonna fit under the standart jack points on the side of the car. Just shove the jack under the car and see where the center cross member runs longitudal to the car? Where the tranny and the engine block meet? you will see a small hook kinda thingie. Place ur jack under there. sometimes u have to have ur friend lift the car by the front wheelwell to place the jack under there and jack it up. I have to do this way cause even the hook on the bottom is too low for the jack. psssstttt talk about getting a flat.

HostileJava
12-28-2003, 12:12 PM
you can jack it by the tow hook in the center of the car, right under the radiator

Just make sure you have the tow hook and not the radiator. My dad was telling me one time that him and a friend were working on a car and talking to each other. The other guy wasn't looking what he was doing as he was jacking the front end up and all the sudden the radiator started creeping out the top of the engine bay. :nuts: