PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Wanna Sell A Good, Used Carb?

it's paid for
12-21-2003, 06:15 PM
. . . for those who don't know . . . my carb has two nipples which came off during vacuum hose removal . . . and . . . anyway . . . I was thinking about maybe rather than trying to get mine working (seems unlikely) I should instead just buy a good used one . . . so . . . anyone have one that'll work on my '83 Accord? I'm assuming the one used on the early 3G's would work okay . . .

Thanks,

IPF

danronian
12-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Did you ever get the 2g runnning? From the topic of this thread I would guess not, but I was wondering what happened either way.

locknload68
12-21-2003, 08:47 PM
The carb from a 3g will not work on a 2g. You could try if you want. But I think the 2g carb has an extra barrel to provide fuel for the CVCC system.

k-roy
12-21-2003, 08:48 PM
are you sure you can not just cap off the two nipples you busted off? Its worth a shot.
www.car-part.com is a national searchable database of junkyards.

shepherd79
12-22-2003, 04:42 AM
i can see if i can get the carb. i am going to junk yard today and i will keep my eyes open for 2g.
but if you want 3g carb i have one. it is already stripped and ready to no vacuum work. It was on my old car.
it has: redrilled primary and manual secondary conversion.
i don't see why it won't work. the only orpblem is the intake manifold. i am sure you can use A20A1 manifold. and i have that one too.

it's paid for
12-22-2003, 06:09 PM
I was told the 83 84 & 85 would take the same carb . . . without any mods . . . is this right?

. . . if you want 3g carb i have one. it is already stripped and ready to no vacuum work. . . .

How much do you want for it? Do you take PayPal?

are you sure you can not just cap off the two nipples you busted off?

No, I'm not sure, but my friend who used to be a mechanic told me that wasn't possible - he was disgusted I'm getting rid of the vacuum lines . . . he knows my mechanical ability is worse than an armless blind man on crack . . .

. . . there is a nice looking one on eBay . . . it's described as "rebuilt" and works good . . . the photos make it look a lot cleaner than mine . . .

. . . two missing nipples . . . that reminds me of my dog - two summers ago I grabbed my needle nose pliers to remove a tick from my dog . . . turns out she only has seven nipples now . . . ye-owwwch . . . sorry doggie . . .

Thanks,

IPF

locknload68
12-22-2003, 07:41 PM
I was told the 83 84 & 85 would take the same carb . . . without any mods . . . is this right?
IPF

That is correct because those years are 2nd gen. But a 3g carb will NOT work on a 2g. They are similar in design but the 3g is a 2.0L engine with a 2 barrel carb and the 2g is a 1.8L engine with a 3 barrel carb. That is besides the fact that it will not bolt on the 2g intake manifold.

Without the 3rd barrel, the engine will not work because there would be no way to ignite the fuel in the cylinders. The CVCC system works by using that 3rd barrel to let a rich mixture of fuel into a chamber that is near the spark plug. This allows the fuel in the cylinder to be extremely lean without causing problems and giving the car good gas mileage.

Sorry for the long explanation of that, I just wanted to make sure you know why it won't work and don't waste your money for a 3g carb.

locknload68
12-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Here's a better explanation and some diagrams of the system.

http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/images/CVCC.JPG