PDA

View Full Version : Important heater blower information.

Bobs89LXi
06-29-2002, 10:08 PM
It's a good thing that I decided to take the blower motor out before buying another at the junkyard. It appears that in addition to many other important details, Haynes left out one minor, yet potentially costly detail in their wiring diagrams. It seems that Honda installed a diode in parallel with the blower as a filter. It is located on a short wiring harness, approx. 6 inches long, that attaches to the blower motor. Looking at it you would think that it is a standard inline fuse. However, if you open it, sure enough, there is a small diode inside. What had happened was this diode shorted out, cutting off power to the motor. To make a long story short, I fixed my dead blower with a 15 cent part from Radio Shack instead of a new motor. So, if the blower motor dies in your heater, make sure you check to see if the diode is the cause before buying a replacement motor. Live and learn.

POS carb
06-29-2002, 10:37 PM
please note the polarity as well, that would be like replacing your blower because you replaced a blown fuse with another bad one and you thought it was the blower's fault only to find out it was your fault and you are now much poorer.
(diodes don't work backwards for those that don't know)

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-29-2002, 11:40 PM
What's all this talk about blowers?? Oh wait a minute......

Thanks for the info, Bob. Haynes always like to leave out stuff like that :mad: :rant: