PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat on the trim?

Mystic1
12-23-2003, 12:39 AM
Several days of nice weather got me to start my project of redoing the paint of my interior. The last owner tried to paint almost all of the trim with white. He did it cheap and quick. There is a lot of chiping and peeling going on.
I pulled one none important piece to use as a practice to make sure my method will work right so I don't have to redo the whole car.
Here is what I have done to it:
1.scraped and sanded all of the old paint off as best I could bringing the factory color to the top.
2.washed it in HOT soapy water
3.wet sanded the minor dings and scratches out of it (320 grit)
4.rewashed
5.3 coats of primer
6.wetsanded (600 grit)
7.2 more coats of primer
8.3 coats paint
9.wetsand (600 grit)
10.2 coats paint

Now do I let this cure as is and re-install, or should I clear coat it to further protect it more. It will be in the sun and is a dark gray so it should attract a lot of heat from the sun. It will also be handled lightly from time to time.
Sorry for the long post.
P.S. I did a clear coat search an found nothing on this topic.

Dibbs
12-23-2003, 05:30 AM
What kind of paint did you use? I don't think a clear coat is neccesary unless you failed to use a good interior paint such as SEM, Krylon Fusion or Siekkens (pearldrop's interior), then clearcoat might help to protect the paint from the elements. Sure would suck to have to wax your interior parts :D

Mystic1
12-23-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm using Dupli-Color Truck and SUV paint. It is made for touching up exterior parts, but says it is also good for trim. Thats why I used so much primer. Like some other people have said, I just liked the beter selection of colors rather then use interior paint

Dibbs
12-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Yeah, sounds like you went about things the right way. For future refernece you can get SEM brand paint in almost ANY color on the pallete. They upholstery supplier I go through has about 100 different colors on the shelf in the back room and can order more if requested. Sikkens comes in a can and has to be sprayed w/ a gun. It has to be mixed so they can colormatch any color you want. You just have to find a supplier. That may be something to think about if you plan on painting the rest of your interior in the future.

BITESIZE
12-23-2003, 10:35 AM
It wouldn't hurt to use a couple coatings of clear coat, it will indefenately protect the paint and make it look shiney too.

Mystic1
12-23-2003, 11:13 AM
My colors are mainly going to be

Gunmetel gray Metalic: Rear view mirror, gauge pod, trim around sterio, ac, cup holder,Lower dash(plastic), center consol, center of stearing wheel (if its not swaped out for a 'lude wheel by then), vinal on doors and back seat arm rests, vinal headliner

Artic White(very slight tint of blue):AC vents in dash and doors(eventually these will be backlight with an LED blacklight in the vent passages), beauty ring I will be fab'ing around the shifter boot. Parking brake handle. Plastic storage compartment, area in rear arm rests, trim for rear view mirror and dome light, plastic surounding all 4 speakers. Nothing big just small accent things.

Black: Upper dash (vinal) carpet on floor, doors, speakers, and back dashand rear arm rests. Trim on all the pillers and along the headliner, side sections and back of the seats.

Gray: Center section of the seats floor mats

I have looked and I can every thing I need between Walmart, Napa, and Kragen. If you didn't want to see a list of my plans, sorry but I just wanted some other peoples opinions. I'm not going for a show car but I want it to look good with out atracting too much atention. People around here tend to mess with cars that look good. A friend has had his egged 3 times in the last month.

BTW notice I never said anything about my center consol arm rest. Thats because I don't have one. You all know Christmas is comming......*hint*..*hint*

BITESIZE
12-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Ha Ha, my car came stock with the armrest Biotch!!! And still loving it.

Mystic1
12-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Another thing is that I have the cup holder assembly but the cupholder its self is missing.

BITESIZE, should it take it that you not going to send it. j/k.. ..I know you will.
Living in a dream world sucks lol

MIK3
12-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Man. Clearcoat is my friend. And can be yours too, haha. There is no problem with using it. Clean, sand, clean again, primer, paint, and clear coat. As long as clear coating is your last application, you'll be all good man.