PDA

View Full Version : Strange lack of power, maybe Weber-related

POS carb
12-23-2003, 05:13 AM
I dunno but lately performance has been taking a ride downhill, here are some symptoms:

The car used to run hard with the 32/36 carb, maybe a bit better than the modded keihin.
It has the following jets:
.50 accel
.160 primary
.190 secondary

with this it should be flying in my opinion.

Now for the problems:
it used to pull all the way to 6k, now it seems to loose power throughout the powerband but mostly past 4 or 5k
when I turn right the motor wants to turn off, even in neutral.
it smells like it runs lean because after gunning the car I can smell that burning glue smell
idle can be richened enough to where the car will smell like a 427 Ford or turn off altogether so I don't think that is related.
Vacuum is always at or past 20in, however it does jump a little, it's been doing that for about 1 year now
240,000 miles :cool2:

the pump is new, the filters are new (like 2 days old!!), plugs and wires are about 3 weeks old, there doesn't seem to be any vacuum leaks, the only thing I'm guessing is the coil.

Any suggestions?

A20A1
12-23-2003, 10:47 PM
I'm surprised you're leaning out, I didn't realize I gave you a 190 main... hey did you see my 1" spacer in carb tech. I bet its the stupid air correction jets. but you can go 180 with the secondary. Make sure the venturies are not clogged and that they are not loose. Have you adjusted the float level setting or checked it at least?

shepherd79
12-24-2003, 04:20 AM
i am with mike, i am going to say clean the carb. take it apart and clean every jet. i am sure something cloged up.
on the other hand, coil may be is dead and that is why you smell glue. get a new coil on ebay very cheap.

rocky2
12-24-2003, 06:18 AM
I also think it could be spark related. Check out leads to coil,could be chip inside distributer. Take a look at engine in complete darkness running and simulate a turn(jump on one side of car to tilt it). See if theres a arc.Reved up of course.

shepherd79
12-24-2003, 07:09 AM
if the coil will die. it will cause the spark to be weak. so it has to be something with coil.