PDA

View Full Version : Help! No Idle down when cold

rideredorgohome
12-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Hey guys...got a problem. When I first start my car it goes into fast idle to warm up. The fast idle is over 2000rpm usually closer to 3000rpm. This seems really high! Car sounds like it wants to blow up! Also after I touch gas it only wants to go down to about 2k and no lower. This seems really high. Can you guys help? :sadwave:

pimp86LX
12-24-2003, 08:50 AM
This is a common problem, my 86 did it like no tommorow!

Check over all the vacum likes, check your thermostate and thermisters/thermovalvues etc....

if you search this site im sure theres tons of info.

p.s. London, cool! Ive got a few friends that are going to fanshawe :cheers:

rideredorgohome
12-24-2003, 09:51 AM
Only does it when cold. If warm there is no problem.

POS carb
12-26-2003, 01:40 PM
on the rear of the carb on the throttle bracket there is a small phillips screw, probably with yellow paint, you need to turn this counter-clockwise about 2 turns, this should lower the fast idle to around 1500, you can actually lower it enough to where the fast idle doesn't raise the engine speed at all.

rideredorgohome
12-29-2003, 07:03 AM
on the rear of the carb on the throttle bracket there is a small phillips screw, probably with yellow paint, you need to turn this counter-clockwise about 2 turns, this should lower the fast idle to around 1500, you can actually lower it enough to where the fast idle doesn't raise the engine speed at all.
Thanks POS I will try this and tell you what happens..... :cheers:

x3r0
12-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Ok, RTFM... You guys just don't read the manual?
#1 1986 Honda Accord (Which I own) is SUPPOSE to idle up to around 2500 RPM when cold to warm up. This is normal.. ur engine wont blow up.. the redline is at 6200 rpm :-) well in the safe zone.. and its normal at cold to idle this high.. its suppose to.
#2 It will not idle down no matter how long u wait.. even when its all warmed up... This is normal to. this is how the carboreighter was designed. To make the idle go back down.. tap the accellerator.. rev it up.. and if the car is warmed up enough it will idle down to normal (1000-1200 RPM). If the car is not warmed up enough, it will idle back up to 2000 or so.
This is totaly normal.. its not a problem.
#3 The common problem with these cars is they tend to mess up on cold starts eventualy... Everyone seems to start having this problem and no one is saying how to fix it.. purhaps just an adjustment.. My car stays idled too low and may stall on a cold start... takes a while until it actualy starts to rev up to 2000 to warm up like it should.
-JT

njpeter
12-30-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm thinking oxygen sensor..both of my 88 accords now won't cold idle well, they seem to start off just OK, then after about 20 seconds they start acting like they are running way too rich. Frankly speaking, sounds like a leaky valve to me...too lazy to do the compression test ( it would only be real bad news anyway). So I have to sit in the car for about three minutes holding the high idle, THEN the engine starts to run smothly on it's own. My daily driver just developed this problem this season, my standby has been doing it for a long time ( that has the highest mileage).

Carbs cleaned, vac lines checked..have to do a vavle adjust, then a compression check, unles somebody can say they changed the O2 sensor..I have one..but it's a nasty looking afternoons worth of work, especially if things go bad.

Need parts in N. Jersey?...lemme know..I have a little of everything ( all stock only)

Dutchboy
01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
ok if you start your carb in the morning and it wont do into a fast idle and it is chocking to run...then your carb isnt opening right....well actually its the choke opener diaphram....when you start the car the choke opener opens the choke from a total close to opening it a bit and it opens it more as it warms up and then the actuall choke takes over to open it the rest of the way....my choke opener diapram had a hole in it so i took it off....found the hole...used some silicone on it as a quick fix and its working normal again......
OH and if it is cold were you are living and even if it isnt freezing your carb can ice up so quick so make sure you have a heat tube on and that the door to redirect it in is working ......it should always work when the car is cold.....the little heat tabs in the airbox are what control it.....as well as the little plastic valves that are inline with the vacuum lines....i ve had those plug and totally screw up the system before...

so this is what i have figured out on the carbs and winter running...hope it solves some problems for you all.....
Ben
Ps...i dont have internet so i wont hardly check the forum if anyone has a question..i wish i did....i miss the site and discussios.

x3r0
01-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks so much dude.. that explains my problem. I will look at it in the morning to see if its the choke opener diaphram.. btw, the choke opener is metalic colored and positioned on the passneger side & front of the carb? is that right? its connected by a joint with a spring... 2 hoses connect to the choke opener.. just making sure this is correct and I have the right thing?

XxDark_AccordxX
01-15-2004, 04:47 PM
mine does the same thing when its really cold. i thought it was normal :/

njpeter
01-15-2004, 04:57 PM
mine does the same thing when its really cold. i thought it was normal :/

I'm just happy mine is starting at all right now..it was two above last night..

this weather is a good reason for quality brand window wash.