PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to sand and primer a car...?

Dennis
12-24-2003, 01:09 PM
:ugh: i have no idea where to start but i want to sand my car and primer it black for now... :nuts: until i get a paintjob, cause my current white paint is shit. what all do i need? how much does this cost and do i have to take parts off of my car to sand/primer it? what kind of sander should i get, what kind of sand paper? which primer is the best? where should i do this? how long does it usually take? does black primer look good? do i sand the car down to bare metal? as you can tell im completely clueless. :ugh: please help. :bow:

dXsquared
12-24-2003, 01:41 PM
if your car doesnt have lots of rust, just sand it all down with 1000 grit paper, just enuff to take the shine off it... then maybe take a swipe at it with 800 grit paper... then buy a gallon of flat black primer.. find a buddy with a garage an a compressor... and go to werk...

Travis

dXsquared
12-24-2003, 01:42 PM
never mind on the compressor thing... just use some spray cans... about 6 or 7 will cover your whole car... if you wanna spend 3-4 hundered bucks, bring it to a shop and get em to spray it.. this way will look the BEST of all methods

Travis

od2681
12-24-2003, 01:56 PM
hey one question..same problem here...paint is goin to the dogs...
anywho how long does primer stay on without paint cuzz i dont know jack shit bout paint

Dennis
12-24-2003, 01:58 PM
:werd: thanks, i'll have to use spray cans. my car has hardly any rust except alittle under the tail light. :ugh: do i need a sander or can i hand sand it? :nuts: i bet hand sandings a bitch.

mykwikcoupe
12-24-2003, 02:50 PM
theres places around that do portable media blasting. They come out and soda blast or whatever the car needs. they tape up everything with a type of tin foil tape. Works killer and ill take it down to bare metal. Just primer and paint the same day. Good as new and you wont get any crows feet in the paint

dXsquared
12-24-2003, 03:11 PM
dont sand to bare metal.... get a sanding block to make it easier on your hand...

Travis

PogiLXI
12-24-2003, 04:53 PM
dont sand to bare metal.... get a sanding block to make it easier on your hand...

Travis
I would use a Air Sander, since ur puting primer on. Just sand it down real good, and primer it. Primer just needs something to hold on too.

A20A1
12-25-2003, 07:50 PM
I usually use a 3M scuffing pad... the brown or the green one.

MrBen
12-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Never never never leave your car primered when moisture will be around. ALWAYS primer and get paint on as soon as you can. If you don't you're asking for trouble later on with RUST. Primer is not a sealer.

Dennis
12-25-2003, 08:52 PM
so i cant leave it primered over the winter? :ugh:

MrBen
12-25-2003, 08:55 PM
People do it all the time, thinking the primer will protect their car. I certainly wouldn't do it. It's obviously up to you though.

Dennis
12-25-2003, 09:31 PM
well what would happen? :nuts:

MrBen
12-26-2003, 01:50 PM
If you sanded down to bare metal in a spot, then air will get in contact with it, as well as moisture, and start rust. Then, say you primer over it, then paint. Months down the road, you see bubbling of the paint. Now you're really screwed.