PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start...

Crazee3g
12-24-2003, 01:20 PM
The Car: 88LX Auto
The Problem: Car won't start.

One cold morning 2 weeks ago, I began to have problems with the car starting. No big deal it always seemed to act up in cold weather. The next morning I tried to start the car and it would just continually crank. Seemed like it wasnt getting any gas to the carb. After a tuneup (wires plugs cap rotor battery air filter pcv valve and both fuel filters) it worked great for the past two weeks.

This morning I tried to get the car to start and it just cranks. It won't turn over. I removed the air filter cover and had a friend try to get it to start and it didnt smell like i was getting any fuel. I couldn't see any either. I have been searching through the threads and cant seem to find any answers that I havent already tried.

Please try to get me going in the right direction. I would hate to have to take this thing to a garage for something I could possibly fix. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Tom

youknowit62300
12-24-2003, 02:09 PM
is it out of gas?????? no j/k it might be your fuel pump you might want to see if there is power there if there is then take off a hose and see if it is pumping out fuel.. of course be very careful you don't want to catch anything on fire...

Dennis
12-24-2003, 02:11 PM
didn't you just buy this car? :ugh: ask the guy who you bought it from. :nuts: thats what i did when the axle broke the second time i drove my car, i told him i wanted my money back and that i was gonna stop the check and he paid for it to get fixed even though it took almost 2 weeks. :nuts:

Crazee3g
12-24-2003, 06:03 PM
I have had the car for about 7 months now. I went out to try and get it started again about an hour later and after 15 mins or so of cranking it up with the gas pedal floored, it finally started after a 20 mile drive it seemed to be ok. We will see what happens tomorrow. I am thinking that either the fuel pump is on its last legs or there is something in the lines clogging it. Will keep ya'll updated.

Mystic1
12-25-2003, 12:46 AM
I had a similer problem with an olds achiva. My problem turned out to be the fuel filter.

Crazee3g
12-25-2003, 01:08 PM
I am thinking that is has to do with the fuel pump or the lines themselves being clogged. I have been able to get it to run and runs fine while it is running. The idle does seem a little bit low though. My brother (former Honda Mechanic) seems to think that the pump might be on its way out. I changed the fuel filters 2 weeks ago after I had that problem originally.

Crazee3g
12-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Well after going to the store in my car today I noticed a small puddle in my parking spot. When I went to check I noticed that it was gasoline. I am starting to think that maybe one of the lines is leaking down there. Gotta wait till the sun comes up tomorrow to get out there and take a look. It would be great if it was just a fuel line clamp missing or loose.

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 07:35 PM
maybe one of your fuel line hoses is damaged. its possible it was messed up when the filters were replaced. being that the car is old, so is everything else. hope you get you 3gee fixed up right. when i replaced my fuel filters, i was realy careful not to clamp them too tight. my honda repair manual says that damage to the fuel hose can be caused by clamping them too tight. hope its just a clamp.

Crazee3g
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Well I was able to look under the car and I can set that is leaking right around that rear filter. I wont be able to get to it today because of having to work. At least I now know where the problem is. Thank god the thing didnt find a spark and ignite on me.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Alright guys note to self: If the car doesn't crank over after the 3rd or 4th time of trying STOP!!!!!!!!!! You're ruining your battery, starter, and possibly your alternator. You're just causing yourself to shell out more money to fix those once the finally go bad.

And I can assure you that the little puddle under the rear fuel filter is not the problem. It's just a loose clamp or a brittle hose. This happend to me and my car drove fine. It didn't cause it not to start.

I think there's something wrong with your carb. Since you have an auto I would highly recommend that you buy A20A1's carb and intake manifold for only $160. It's the same carb setup I have and I paid $345 just for the carb kit.

Crazee3g
12-29-2003, 11:47 AM
I was just curious as to what brought you to the conclusion that the carb is the problem. I am not trying to doubt you. I am just trying to learn as I go. Any and all help is appreciated.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Well I had a carb that was pissy and didn't like to start. It needed to be rebuilt and I just decided to upgrade. A20A1's carb setup is for auto's and that's why I recommended it to you b/c the regular Weber carb setup is only for manuals.

Crazee3g
12-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Just got a chance to look at the rear fuel filter, either the filter itself is leaking, or the hose that brings the fuel to the filter is leaking. I havent been able to ascertain which it is. I am off from work tomorrow, so I will be able to get a better look at it. A friend said that the filter may have been hooked up backwards, causing a fuel flow problem. I just want to get the thing started so I wont have to tow it anywhere.

The fuel pump seems to be working. As I would try to start it I noticed alot more gas on the ground afterwards. The engine will crank but wont turn over. Its like the engine isnt receiving any gas. Is it possible that the engine isnt gettng enough because of the leak?

Crazee3g
12-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Well I got the fuel leak to stop. I decided to check my plugs again. They were BLACK. The car is running way too rich. I changed the plugs and it started right up. It inly took 2 weeks for those plugs to foul. Got it running now. Will go out for New Year's and tomorrow I will work on getting it to run not so rich. Thanks for the help! 8-)