PDA

View Full Version : Your 3gee Got An Oil Leak?

HondaBoy
12-24-2003, 06:03 PM
well, my engine runs pretty good. its had a bit of an oil leak since i started driving it. it doesnt leak enough that it needs oil added between oil changes, so thats good. its about 4500 miles away from 100000. it has had an oil leak from the valve cover which was fixed by a new gasket, duh! it also leaks from the corner of the cylinder head, probley from past over heating. maybe it has another leak from the crank seal, opposite side of the tranny. i dont know when i will get to fixing up the engine, but thats probley to come when i have a lot of time and more money. so, does you 3gee have an oil leak and where?

my86dx4dr
12-24-2003, 06:09 PM
i have a small oil leak that drips down on the exhaust pipe bout 8" before the cat, when the car goes on a long drive or a short 130mph drive it starts to smoke horribly from that, scarey, but ahh, gotta die somehow! dont know where its leaking from i've been told its leaking in more then one spot in that gen arean, so im lead to beleave its the oil pan gasket? ya'll think that could be it? :help: :beer: :dunno:

my86dx4dr
12-24-2003, 06:17 PM
fuckin double post's grrrrr :argue:

pimp86LX
12-24-2003, 06:17 PM
One day my bud and I were driving to my house to assemble a computer he just bought, and all of a sudden my oil light came on. We get to my place, about 5km later, i get out and check the oil and its bone dry. I was freaking out cursing and swearing about how i need a functional car. So my old man gets out there, listens to what happened, and immediately told me the problem. Sure enough my drain plug had stripped its threads (oil pan threads were ok) so i just got a new one and was good to go.

And that was the only time my 3g leaked oil.

Jareds 89 LX-i
12-24-2003, 06:23 PM
I've got a very small leak from the driver side corner of the oil pan gasket. I did also have a leak from the rear main crank seal, but I had that replaced when they did the clutch so that doesn't leak anymore. Now I go through about 1/2 - 1 quart of synthetic every 5000 miles between changes. Not bad for 330k miles!

jigga225
12-24-2003, 06:51 PM
man when i get under the car i see oil coming from various places and i'm like i'm bever gonna find al the places this shit is comin from, so i just add about a quart in betwn oil chnges

MrBen
12-25-2003, 02:47 PM
I've got a small one on the valve cover gasket, but I don't care. The driveway does though.

Hash_man_Se_i
12-25-2003, 03:16 PM
My car doesnt leak a drop, and It has 225,000kms ... Except for a few months ago, when I took it to get a safety inspection for insurance, they somehow didnt notce that the whole bottom of my tranny, and oil pan were covered in oil. Luckily it was just the fact that the oil pan bolts had come a bit loose.

jayp6969
12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
i had a oil leak it was the oil pan gasket and the oil pan was really rusted and was sweating oil, but is all fixed now

RustyHo88
12-25-2003, 05:21 PM
I've got a small one on the valve cover gasket, but I don't care. The driveway does though.

I hear ya man. My driveway and garage hate me now I think. They're both forever scarred by oil. I know it leaks from the distributor O-ring, but I am too lazy to fix it.

LX-i BOY
12-25-2003, 08:12 PM
so what is a big oil leak to everyone i have one from the valve cover and oil pan and crankshaft front seal, and possible camshaft seal. i voted i had an big oil leak but i wanted to see what everyone else thought

Cheeseburger
12-25-2003, 08:15 PM
i got four oil leaks. one is frome the oil can gasket, another one is from the screw where you drain the oil, and theres another one on top of the engine #. these are all small leaks. the biggest one is the power stering. i havent found out where it leaks from.

Justin86
12-25-2003, 08:28 PM
well it changes all the time. One week my valve cover will leak, then my distrubitor, and no I'm leaking PS fluid.

ChaseR
12-26-2003, 12:35 AM
in my 88 LX, Before I swapped the motor it had so many leaks. Look at it this way I didnt buy oil by the quart I bought it by the gallon and added that like once a week. mine to used to drip in the exhuast and make it smoke. The rings themselves were worn and it burned a shit load of oil. lol That motor was in such bad shape. The guy who owned it before me didnt replace the timing belt and it broke so all the valves were bent and it still ran. after the swap I put the engine in the back seat of my Parts car and hualed it off. what a way to go eh.

cubert
12-26-2003, 05:34 AM
so what is a big oil leak to everyone i have one from the valve cover and oil pan and crankshaft front seal, and possible camshaft seal. i voted i had an big oil leak but i wanted to see what everyone else thought

at least a quart a day for me..thats a big oil leak

Cyric_accord
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Blown Rear Engine Seal on mine, have to add about a quart every two weeks except durring winter when the oil thickens up enough to not need it

Sabz5150
12-26-2003, 06:59 PM
I've got a couple of tiny leaks here and there. I took care of the big one... the front crank seal. The other two are the lip of the oil pan gasket and one I can't seem to find. Maybe one of you can help. It is near the transmission, and drips on the driver's side inner axle boot. I put in some oil stop leak and found it piled up on my lower engine support about a month later. It splattered on the support and the firewall in a perfect vertical line, probably from the spinning axle. I think I know where it's coming from, but can't get my head in there to see it. Feels like a thin metal box near the manifold. If anyone knows what this is and what I can do to fix it, please tell me :)

Bloodlust
12-26-2003, 07:15 PM
I have a small oil leak and I leak power steering fluid. Its not bad but it makes my engine bay look not so clean :(

k-roy
12-26-2003, 08:10 PM
I have a small leak. I just picked up a blot and a crush washer today and I'm goint to replace it very soon.

MIK3
12-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Nope. No oil leaks here. I am very fortunate that this car behaves well. :bow:

Rendon LX-i
12-27-2003, 11:59 AM
i got a leak only one. i pretty sure its my disturbuter O ring gasket. if that aint it. it best not be the phucking head gasket. then i would be pissed.

87sleeper
12-28-2003, 06:53 AM
lol, open my hood and there's oil everywhere. mine leaks from the front main seal, distributor, oil pan, power steering, tranny pan, axle output seal, and somwhere under the intake manifold. i have to add about a quart every week and a half. they are all small leaks, but together a real pain in the ass. i've been looking for parts to rebuild the engine, but still locating a few things. at 292,000 miles it's time to rebuils anyway.

Vinny
12-28-2003, 09:42 AM
I'm an oil leak magnet. Both accord leak everywhere, not real bad just alot of small leaks here and there. I hate oil leaks. I hate having to lay down carboard and shit just to look under a car for anything. Kids toys roll under the car its a mess LOL. Speaking of, I need to go hunt a few down today (leaks that is)

smufguy
12-28-2003, 11:23 AM
mine leaks from the head and the distributor joiing. Its ruining the look of my engine bay. Im gonna use the liquid gasket on the distributor and hopefully it should stop it.

DBMaster
12-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Got the oil pan gasket replaced about eight months ago and I replaced the valve cover gasket when I did the valve adjustment. Take my word for it, stick with the OEM valve cover gasket!

Anyway, I have a small leak from behind the timing belt cover that the mechanic says is the oil pump, which I am supposed to replace next time I do the timing belt (or, at least the oil pump o-ring seal). It's nowhere near as much leakage as before the oil pan and oil filter mounting plate gasket were replaced. I run my oil for 10,000 miles between changes (synthetic) and I have to add about two quarts during that time (takes me almost a year to do enough mileage for an oil change)

Justin86
12-28-2003, 11:58 AM
I have used a lot of that RTV gasket stuff and it works pretty good.

DigitaLuminescence
12-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Nope, never did a drop of oil come from my good 'ol Accord, thank god.
Actually it's kind of surprising considering it's terrible history. It seems like almost everything has failed on that damn engine, but it never leaked oil.