PDA

View Full Version : Heated coil problems

Mystic1
12-25-2003, 01:00 AM
I just found out the before I got my lx-i it was lowered by about an inch by heating the springs. The ride is a little stiff and bouncy at times but not too much in my opinion.

My question is will this eventually cause problems with other parts of the suspention? I see a few threads threw the search that say never to do this but nothing that says what will happen long term. So, what will happen, if anything?

smufguy
12-25-2003, 07:27 AM
EEEkssss, read the post wrong. Anyway. It will wear down your strust as Travis mentioned and also your camber and alignment might be wacked out because of the improper lowering. You might as well go ahead and look for new struts and coils. Blasted kids and cut springs. arrrrrrgggggggg

dXsquared
12-25-2003, 07:50 AM
what? smuf is on glue this morning...

it will cause the struts to die faster.. but thats about all

Travis

hondamanlxi
12-25-2003, 11:09 AM
my first accord was on heated coils! it rode like shit but no extra wear/camber issues! My current accord has a tokico 2in drop rides great with some positve camber and no wear/tire issues!! Its all about the current state of your suspension!

smufguy
12-25-2003, 11:51 AM
my first accord was on heated coils! it rode like shit but no extra wear/camber issues! My current accord has a tokico 2in drop rides great with some positve camber and no wear/tire issues!! Its all about the current state of your suspension!

How many miles on your car as of now? You will see excessive wear on the inner threads of your front tires with 2" drop. Believe me even with the hardest tires (cooper for example) it will wear out in or around 5000-6000 miles.

Bouncy suspension will cost you tons of wear and tear on your bushings.

Mystic1
12-25-2003, 03:11 PM
There is about 145k on the car now. I am told the car was lowered about 40-50k ago. I have an apointment to have in aligned monday morning. The shop says that they will be able to correct the camber without much problem. And yes smufguy, my tires are wearing on the inside really bad. Thats what clued me in to something being wrong.

smufguy
12-25-2003, 08:15 PM
i doubt if you can correct the camber without the prelude arms or a camber kit for anything more than 1.5" drop. but we will have to see how clsoe they can get. my aligment is really bad considering we took out all the crossmembers and the front two control arms and axles with the hub for the swap. I have to see how bad mine was. I can feel it in every turn, the car just does not wanna turn the way i want to.

HostileJava
12-26-2003, 03:01 PM
I was under the impression and I think it was Jim who stated it that we don't need camber kits unless we go below 2", that the stock suspension could be adjusted to handle it.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-26-2003, 07:48 PM
I was under the impression and I think it was Jim who stated it that we don't need camber kits unless we go below 2", that the stock suspension could be adjusted to handle it.

No front camber correction does become a issue when the drop amount is past 1.5", not 2". Even a 1.5" drop will have some negitive camber, but the angle's do not justify the effort to correct. I personely set my cars to performance alignement specs that call for some negitive camber anyhow. What I have said in the past and my be the source of the confussion concern's rear camber adjustment. You can take 10 members that have 2" or 2.25" drops and ask about rear camber correction. 5 will tell you it's not needed, the other 5 will tell you it's absolutely required. Kinda hard for me to comeout saying so to. I've always said that it's a good idea to be open to the possibility that you will have to do rear camber adjustment on 2" or more drops.

smufguy
12-26-2003, 08:09 PM
as of right now, im not feeling much difference in the rear camber with the 2" drop but the fronts are way too bad. But seems to have become a little better with the prelude arms (Iused the 3rd gen). So yeah, i am going for some new tires and alignment pretty soon and you know im gonna be asking a lot of questions about the tires and rims to you Jim. :D

HostileJava
12-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanx for clearing that up Jim. :D