PDA

View Full Version : battery problem! need assist asap! please!

my86dx4dr
12-25-2003, 08:46 PM
ok, tuesday i installed my amp, kenwood 600w, but i dont get the sub till friday, so i didnt connect the amp at all to the battery, its just ready to be screwed in well, i didnt even touch the batt, and now ever since wedsday my battery light keeps comming on, my lights DONT go dim, nor does anythang else not work, its all fine, just now my batt lights on, and it flickers off after car has warmed up, and then it turns back on bout 2 mins of driving it seems to stay on when im at higher rpms, is it my battery or my alt??? if its the battery then could it be overcharged?? cuz it seems the light shuts off SOMETIMES at lower rpm and stays on at higher rpm, KINDA! i could be wrong about that, but i dont understand ITS ALL NEW STUFF the alt is 4 months old its a rebuilt, (thats what i think is the prob) the battery is 5 weeks old, its offly small IMO, i can even turn my stereo all the way up and leave it there (almost all the way up) with no flickering from lights, could it be a loose connection? there was a lil bit of carosion (on the + termanal) but i have since cleaned that up with some coke and a tooth brush (mommy told me to :cool2: ) any ideas? i want to hook up my amp tomorrow and install my new w0

Neuspeed87lx
12-25-2003, 08:52 PM
i would say alternator ! ... if it comes on when you rev the car it could mean that its not putting out the voltage it should be... when the car is idling the alternator dosent need to put out much juice.... so the light stays off....

Neuspeed87lx
12-25-2003, 08:57 PM
if you have acess to a ditigal multimeter or a battery tester.... hook it up to your battery and check the voltage.... when you rev the motor the voltage should go up ... if it dosent i would replace the alt

my86dx4dr
12-25-2003, 09:02 PM
could i take it to a battery shop for them to test the alt and battery? if it was the alt, it dont seem to affect anythang YET, would it be safe to hook my amp up for the day saterday? or would that just basicly send it over the edge? ps, guess im gonna search in the forsale section for an alt, if it is so,

Neuspeed87lx
12-25-2003, 09:13 PM
ya anyplace like that could test it for you .... i dont know how much they would charge you .... you should be ok with the amp hooked up.. for a day ...

MrBen
12-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Take it to Schucks or Autozone, they do free alternator testing.

my86dx4dr
12-25-2003, 09:22 PM
k well, theres my plan for tomorrow, get this crap fixed, got a lil road trip to do saterday and this might screw me over on that, im headed to salem, uh, yay! (bout the most stupid'est town in oregon) then im going to silverton(oh god now that i think of it maybe this battery thangs not such a bad thang) :kekeke:

Hash_man_Se_i
12-25-2003, 09:32 PM
That definately sounds like an alternator problem. But it is very wierd that the alternator is only a few months old. Are you sure everything is hooked up right with the amp? I dont know how, but maybe you installed it wrong.

If its right, then I would definately get your battery and alternator tested... and dont leave it too long, because if you keep draining the battery if the alternator is toast, then you may end up needing a new battery as well.

Either way, once you figure out the problem, I would reccomend going and buying a capacitor for your stereo. The only brand I would really reccomend is monster cable. This should get rid of all, or most of your drainage problems. But unless you have installed one before, and know what you are doing, I would reccomend taking it to a shop to have it installed, because I have seen some people installl them before who had no clue, and it can really fuck things up.

Oh and BTW, very, very nice deck.

my86dx4dr
12-25-2003, 11:52 PM
um UPDATE, god damn car! now my idle will not go down below 1800RPM stays there when warmed up too, now :help: :dunno: im thinkin vacuum problem!?!?!??????? i knew i should of just bought a yugo or a pacer, shit! lol could this sticking idle make it easyer to identify the prob!???? thank god we have a trusty honda mechanice in the family but he's out of town! and i dont know much yet,

my86dx4dr
12-26-2003, 01:08 PM
update car is fucked, alt is fucked, i am fucked, welcome to the real world, might i say im broke, :kekeke:

Hash_man_Se_i
12-26-2003, 07:43 PM
I dont worry, my car has a fuckin problem that noone can seem to figure out, after driving for a while, it will decide to act retarded and idle insanely rough when I start it up, and the RPM keep fluctuating. But this only happens sometimes, not every time I drive it for a lengthened period of time.

And to top it off, my rad might have a leak, my rust keeps getting worse by the day, and ... I have no sound out of my speakers, cuz my alpine deck was too much power for the stupid bose speakers. AAAAAH!!!!! I'm gonna go nuts. :help: :nuts:

my86dx4dr
12-29-2003, 12:42 AM
got it fixed, 177.95 installed, took them 28 buisness hours (yea:bs: )since they were so buisy and its a low ball shop with no lift, but it was the cheapest i could find, woulda done the work myself and got an b/new alt for 110, but this way it has a "life time warrenty" we'll see about that with too amps hooked up!! (600w-300w) they shall never know..................but yea, now my idle kicks down again??? the dx dosnt have electric choke dose it??/ thaught becuase it was carbed it wouldnt???? :nuts: