PDA

View Full Version : Power Windows Issues.....

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 03:08 PM
My windows have worked fine up untill lastnight:

When I started my car the driverside PW moter came on by its self and was trying to roll up the window. The only way I could get it to stop was to push the switch to the roll down position, then the moter would turn off but not roll down. Also there is about 1 inch of free play in the window going up and down. So I could get home with out burning up the moter or something I disconected the power to the regulater.

Now this morning on my lunch break from work I put the passanger side window down as I am a smoker and wanted to vent the car. Now it will not come up. It makes no sound when trying to get it to do any thing. I know that there is still power to the circut because when I plug the regulater on the drivers side back in it continues to try and go up. In my haste of pulling the door panle off lastnight I pulled loose a wire from the passanger side switch, but if I hold it in place still nothing happens.

Any sugestions, tips, or links to a good pic of that part of the wiring diagram?
I at least need to get the passanger side up. It is winter and also for security reasons.

POS carb
12-26-2003, 04:21 PM
probably a problem in the driver's door, where the wires hook up to the 4 switches. I'm saying this based on the fact both windows screwed up at once. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting works, don't forget the ground cable, it is independant of the wiring harness. Also check the window fuse on the pass. side

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 04:45 PM
ok, I'm going to play the stupid noob here, what fuse is it? On the fuse map under the little change compartment it isn't listed. Also, unrelated I have no dash lights, what fuse might that be, also not listed?

I tried the whole disconnect thing and nothing happend.

Neuspeed87lx
12-26-2003, 05:12 PM
im pretty sure the fuse for the power windows is in the fuse box under the hood ....im lookin at the haynes manaul and it looks like fuses 15,16,17, and 18 all protect the power window circuits.... to me it dosent sound like a fuse .... there may be a short to ground somewhere

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 05:25 PM
I was just out at my car and realized this, but thanks for the responce any way. This is the first car that I have had that this fuse is under the hood not in the car.

Well, here is an up date. The wire that I broke I think shorted out and blew the fuse for the passenger side. I replaced that fuse and got the window to go up by holding the broken wire in place and hitting the switch. This will be reconnected permently when I am done. I pulled out the fuse so that I won't go threw a fuse every time that wire hits ground, and to protect the circut a little for now.

I still have yet to find the problem with the drivers side. There is power and no blown fuse. I am unable to find the ground cable for the door (its getting dark), but like I say I have power so I think that rules this out. Could the power regulator/silinoid/whatever in the door be faulty? Or maybe the switch its self?

BTW, I have a 2 door, only 2 switches but there is also an on/off switch for the passenger side on the panel (not sure if this is standard or an option). I also found out that the switch on the drivers side is one of thoes with the built in auto window positioning settings (or whatever you call them). I have never had this work in the past so its leading me more and more to think the switch is bad. Any more sugestions?

Neuspeed87lx
12-26-2003, 05:32 PM
if you push the window button does the motor make noise ?

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 06:32 PM
nope. the moter starts running as soon as I turn on the power to the car. And wont stop untill I shut the car off

Neuspeed87lx
12-26-2003, 06:42 PM
oo ya that def sounds like a short somewhere .... look around for broken wires... check twards the front of the door.... you know where the wires go threw from the door to the engine compartment.... its hard to explain this .... open the door ... and where the door hinges are .....mabey there is a broken wire in there....

Mac
12-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Could be a bad switch. If you have a volt meter, you should only have voltage on the white/yellow wire with the switch in the off position. If you have voltage on any other wire (black/yellow, black/green or red/green) the switch is shorted. You can go to a junkyard and get the whole switch panel. There is a connector on it so you can disconnect it and pull it out as a unit.

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Thats what I will probably do if it is the switch. Gonna bust out the volt tester tomarow and see whats up. As for the wiring that goes in to the engine bay, I looked at that. Its still wraped in the factory loom. I hope it dosn't come to tearing that out. Another thing is that even if the switches are unpluged from the harness the moter still keeps going. It only seems to stop if I disconet the lead going to the relay box

Mac
12-26-2003, 07:54 PM
So you are saying that with the drivers switch disconnected the motor still runs?

buzzbomber88lx
12-26-2003, 08:09 PM
how is that possible unless the motor is getting power. I dont think it gets power unless the switch is connected. I'm stumped. has to be a short.

Mac
12-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Well if the case is that the motor runs with the drivers switch disconnected, there is another possible cause. There is a control unit on the driver's side inside the door panel. With the door panel off and looking at the inside of the door, the control unit is towards the upper right side. There should be 2 connectors on it.

With the drivers switch disconnected and key on you should only have voltage on the white/yellow wire.

If you have voltage on any other wire in the 6 pin connector there is a short in the wiring probally between the switch and the control unit.

If you have voltage on any wire in the 4 pin connector the contol unit is probally bad.

You need to leave the connectors to the control unit hooked up to the unit for this test.

Mystic1
12-26-2003, 09:00 PM
That is the box that I have to disconnect to stop the moter. I will check tomarow to see what pins are hot

Mac
12-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Only the white/yellow wire. You can disconnect the 4 pin connector to keep the motor from running, but when you check the 4 pin connector for power, probe the pins on the control unit where you disconnected the plug. Don't probe the plug if it is disconnected. It's 3:45 AM and I'm waiting for the limo. On my way to New Hampshire for a few days. I'll check back in a couple of days. Hope some of this helped.

ACCORD EX
12-28-2003, 01:19 AM
may be the switch it self is shorted ! ?

Mike !

nswst8
12-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey guys, Sounds like the windows switch needs to be reworked, pull it out and take it apart its a rocker type switch and sometimes if you use them with excessive force like when your PISSED OFF the rocker can turn over on its side. Its really simple.
LOL
NSWST8

Mystic1
12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
thanks, I'll check it out