PDA

View Full Version : 2G Carb Question - This Is Driving Me Crazy!!!!!

it's paid for
12-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Okay, I'm trying to get my car to run after having the head off & checking the valve & ignition timing . . . they're both fine . . .

. . . when I go to start my car I can smell gas and when I look down into the middle barell there is a sizeable puddle of gas at the bottom flap (butterfly valve?) . . . I sopped up the gas with paper towells, being careful not to let any paper bits get into the carb . . .

. . . when I open the carburetor manually I can look down into the carb and the middle butterfly valve does not open . . . I can go over to the right side of the car and manually open the two end valves/flaps as I pull back the throttle cable, but I thought this middle flap was supposed to open along with the others automatically - yes? It does not.

It seems to me there's a linkage that opens the middle flap which should be "sprung against" the main linkage connected to the throttle cable and there is an obvious groove in the throttle cable linkage for the middle flap linkage to "follow" . . . but it doesn't . . . I disconnected the shaft at the bottom of the secondary diapragm unit . . . still, the middle flap (butterfly valve, whatever) doesn't open . . .

Does anyone have any clue how I can fix this mess?

Thanks,

IPF

:gun: (my car)

3G Jester
12-26-2003, 08:14 PM
talk to PhydeauX hes got a 2g and he is the carb god.

*edit* i spelled his name wrong. ill PM him about this thread for you

shepherd79
12-26-2003, 08:26 PM
you are on your own with 2g carb.
i only seen them, but i haven't played with them so i don't know much about it.
does it have vacuum connector to it?
if it's mecanical are you missing any pieces?

PhydeauX
12-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Its a vacuume operated secondary, its not going to open unless the car is running and the throttle is planted.

andy

it's paid for
12-27-2003, 05:23 AM
Its a vacuume operated secondary, its not going to open unless the car is running and the throttle is planted.

. . . okay . . . but I removed all the vacuum lines and plugged everything up coming from the carb except for two fuel lines going in and one vacuum to the distributor & another to the brake thing . . . so now what? Is there any way this can be fixed? If so, how?

I'm supposed to leave tomorrow for a 352 mile journey . . . I really need this thing to work . . . if I don't get my Honda running, my son will have to withdraw from college and he'll have to quit his job because I'll have to use that car he was using . . . should I go back & re-attach the secondary diaphragm to the linkage for the middle flap?

If anyone can help me out with this I'll pay them via PayPal . . . really! I'm that desperate . . .

Thanks,

IPF

shepherd79
12-27-2003, 06:26 AM
you can't plug all the lines. one of the lines will need a feed from manifold vacuum.

it's paid for
12-27-2003, 07:20 AM
you can't plug all the lines. one of the lines will need a feed from manifold vacuum.

. . . okay . . . I'll be back late this afternoon from my mother's house & then I'll try to figure out which one needs a vacuum from the intake manifold . . . this will probably be difficult as I've capped off everything from the intake manifold too . . .

. . . this was a gigantic mistake . . . I am so stupid . . .

. . . my daughter asked me this morning what I'd do if I won a million dollars . . . without hesitation I told her I'd roll the Honda down to the middle of the backyard then I'd empty 100 rounds of 9mm into it from my deck . . . and if that didn't fix it, I could always use a gallon of gas and a match . . .

. . . sad thing is . . . where I live, that sort of behavior isn't that uncommon . . .

POS carb
12-29-2003, 11:37 AM
lol
actually yea you probably need to hook some vacuum lines back up, at least make sure that there is 1 going to the distributor and that you put plugs on all the nipples that are disconnected. I'm 99% sure this is what is at fault and I wouldn't take the car that far immediately after doing this unlesss you have a good toolbox and repair manual.

it's paid for
12-30-2003, 03:13 PM
I hooked up the original vacuum line to the distributor . . . I think I messed up really, really bad because I don't have any intake "holes" or nipples to draw from . . . could it be the EGR looking thing? That's the only one left related to the intake manifold that even remotely seems like it'd work . . . the one on the left side of the intake manifold is permanently capped . . .

. . . no . . . please don't ask . . .

. . . I was so proud of that cap too . . .

. . . what an idiot . . .

. . . it's frustrating because my car is in Georgia & I'm up here at work in Kentucky durnig the week & can't get to it 'till Saturday morning . . . then I have to work on the coolant leak for the Chrysler (a free car) and the 3 "service engine" codes on the Astro . . . then back up to KY on Sunday . . . what a life . . . I'll be glad when this thing's done . . .

honestly, if it'd solve my problems to just stick on a Weber, I'll do it . . . any suggestions?

Thanks,

IPF

shepherd79
12-30-2003, 04:25 PM
take some pictures so we can see what is wrong.