PDA

View Full Version : SHift Stick Keeps Poppin Out Of 5th :( (HELP!!))

SadDX
12-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Hey Everyone.. i need help.. I m New to this site. But i was wondering if anyone could help me.. ok.. i bought 88 honda accord DX. nd the clutch wasen't good.. so i bought a clutch kit and had my father put it in for me...
But now... when i shift to 5th gear... it pops right back out all the time. like it drives in 5th for about 10 min at the most than something pops it right out.even if i hold it up in 5th. It still forces it out.... does anyone know what this is? PLEASE.......... :( help me....
thanks for veiwing.......

shepherd79
12-27-2003, 03:19 PM
i think your 5th grear burned out.
start looking for a new tranny. i would recomned LXi tranny, it has closer gear ratios.

AZmike
12-27-2003, 10:34 PM
The FI tranny has the same gear ratios as the carb version, it just has a a slightly higher final drive ratio. You can check on your fifth gear by removing the 8 6mm bolts that hold the end cover of the transmission on and inspect the fifth gear assembly. Drain the tranny oil first. Good luck.

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 07:47 PM
i have heard of this happening on the prelude and accord trannys. i dont know its this is right but something about a plunger? is that right? well it was a long time ago that i heard that. anyway, transmissions are a bitch to take apart and get them fixed. i say if you know someone that knows trannys, get them to look at it and if its bad, get a used tranny. oh, and that thing i heard was about a car on ebay. said the same thing as you did. the 5th gear wouldnt stick, but could drive alright in all the other gears.

k-roy
12-28-2003, 10:08 PM
I was low on tranny fluid (im an Idiot and did not put enough back in after swapping an axle) and mine did that. I topped it off and It has never happened since.

So yea, top off the fluid, it worked for me. If the fluid is ok then I would say the gear is toast.

danronian
12-29-2003, 09:13 AM
It happens with low fluid b/c 5th gear is highest in the tranny.

87accordlxi
12-29-2003, 11:26 AM
When I first got my car, it was doing the same thing. Turns out it was just low on tranny fluid. I'd say that's your likely scenario.

rocky2
12-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Make sure you use motor oil too. 10w40.

SadDX
12-31-2003, 10:20 PM
CooL Thanks Everyone for your help.. i haven't got around to it yet cause it's been rainin everyday here in hawaii.and plus i don't know anything really.. jus waitin on my father... :( i'm a sure gonna check on everyone ones suggestions... Thanks To All... it really means alot to me ... tryin to fix my car... .. i'm a let you guys know when i check it and get it done... Hey And Thanks AloT again... :)

SadDX
01-12-2004, 08:58 PM
hey everyone... i hve found out the problem.... It jus go's wht happened... my dad put the wrong type of fluid in my trans. he had put gear oil instead of using regular oil..... it hasen't popped out since...... so to everyone... thanks so much for your replies and your help... :)