PDA

View Full Version : Got Problems after Valve Adjustment

jigga225
12-27-2003, 12:49 PM
aiight here's how it goes...
I adjusted the valves according to the 'how to' thread and Paul's Manual, It went ok.

When i cranked the car back up, it has a miss. And when i pull the wire from the #1 plug, the car runs no different than if the wire was still on.
The plug is good (tried different ones) the wire is good too.
But the car is putting and not running smooth as it was before?
What can I do? Any tests I can do to find the problem?
Could adjusting the valves wrong cause this?

THanks if anyone could help ya boy out

shepherd79
12-27-2003, 03:17 PM
did you check the spark plug?
may be it needs cleaning and adjustment.
try cleaning the distributor cap and rotor.

Vinny
12-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Might want to double check your adjustments and make sure you did them in the right order 1, 3, 4 then 2. If you took any of the plugs out to help turn the crankshaft double check that you have the right wire on each plug. It might help you alot if you make sure you are at TDC when you start by checking the flywheel to make sure you are at the "T" mark. Then readjust your valves from there. Also make sure you adjust with the engine cold, thats whats recommemded on the sticker under thge hood and that you don't adjust then overly tight. You should be able to get a .006 (.15mm)to slide with a little drag on the 2 intake valves and the same with a .011 (.28mm) on each of the exhaust valves. Also the picture on the how-to isn't for adjusting valves. It looks more like its for cam install. I already PM'd Joe to let him know

ACCORD EX
12-28-2003, 01:22 AM
may be you broke your plug wire ! is there any spark at the wire ?? hold it and get it near the body of the car and look for sparks !( don't get a shock ! )

Mike !

TINBOAT
12-28-2003, 06:36 AM
When you are adjusting your valves, make sure you visibly see the 'heel' of the camshaft lobe on the rocker...any adjustment made should be very minor, if you found yourself turning the adjustment screw several times (either in or out), then you are not following proper procedure..if you have over tightened a valve, you will lose compression on that cylinder, if the valve is to loose, it may not even open at all (but it would have to be wayyyyyy lose for that to happen)....my guess is that one of the valves on the offending cylinder is over tight....take your time, dont rush, and do it over...I think you will find out what went wrong..
Regards
Cliff

jigga225
12-28-2003, 09:39 PM
thanks team
i'ma do it up in the morning
the plug and wire are good, i unplugged it and let it sperk near the body..
I'ma let you all know how it goes in the morning...
Peace

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 09:57 PM
good luck man. i need to get to work on my 3gee this week before school starts back up! tell us how it goes when you fix it.

Vinny
12-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Good luck jigga. I bet you just mis adjusted a valve or 2. Especially if thats all you did b4 it started running like ass. Let us know what you find

danronian
12-29-2003, 09:18 AM
If the wires are old that could be it, b/c when plug wires have a break they often work intermitently(sp).

jigga225
12-30-2003, 11:21 AM
hell yeahz
I re-did it and took my time.. I pimped it.
thanks for all the help.
Now i'm bout to treat my girl to some NGK-R's and new wires. New Air filter and bushings

Vinny
12-30-2003, 12:02 PM
you the man, glad we could help ya out