PDA

View Full Version : too much for nos?

87sleeper
12-28-2003, 08:07 AM
soon i'm gonna get around to rebuilding my engine... i've spent my life on small blocks, so i have direct horsepower solutions. if i bore it .30 over, stroke it (i think it's a b20 crank, i may be wrong), shave an 1/8th and port -n- polish the head, will i be able to add spray? rough guess i'll be hitting about 12.1 compression. with this comes of course a weber w/ cold intake, header, 3" exhaust. i may be off track, but this is my first tuner. i figure make it like a 350 with half as many cylinders.

shepherd79
12-28-2003, 10:12 AM
here are the problems:
1. i don't think B20 crank will fit. if you want stroker talk to a guy called "SEAN" on this board. he is working on a stroker kit.
2. if you shave 1/8 of the inch, you will mess up timing for sure. you will need to get adjustible cam gear. you will be able to compensate the timing. there is a group buy on adjustible cam gears right now.
3. i don't know if it is save to spray with 12:1 compression.
4. running webers and NOS, i am not sure it is a good idea. you will have to lean out the weber which will hurt the performance without NOS.

Solution to your problems:
1. keep the stock crank and rods, they are bullet proof. order some high compression pistons insted. borring .30 over won't give you much diff, unless the block is in very bad shape.
2. buy adjustible cam gear for future timing adjustments for NOS.
3. anything above 11:1 will need high octane fuel.
4. a) sell the car and get fuel injection version
b) remove the carb setup and install GM fuel management from SEAN. it is very good setup.
c) get Sean's GM EFI setup, ditch the NOS and go turbo.

Johnny O
12-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Webber and nos is not a bad idea,alot of the old school slarlets and datsons run carbs and nos and turbo.So I don't think it is a bad idea.30 over might be pushing it the wall might flex under high pressure.