PDA

View Full Version : Lowered question

smufguy
12-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Well My car has been lowered on Konis and Progress for 2"s and its been like 7000 miles and my car looks higher in the front and lower in the back. I have battery in the back, 40lb toolbox and a full size tire. It looks weird even if i take them out (except the battery). Do you guys think the shop installed the springs wrong. As in the front ones in the rear and the rear in the front? How do i check it? Longer spring is the front spring right? I forgot to take a pic of the springs so that i would know which one is which. Thanks guys. Im scraping my rear end (hehe no pun) everywhere i go, even on my darn driveway.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Well My car has been lowered on Konis and Progress for 2"s and its been like 7000 miles and my car looks higher in the front and lower in the back. I have battery in the back, 40lb toolbox and a full size tire. It looks weird even if i take them out (except the battery). Do you guys think the shop installed the springs wrong. As in the front ones in the rear and the rear in the front? How do i check it? Longer spring is the front spring right? I forgot to take a pic of the springs so that i would know which one is which. Thanks guys. Im scraping my rear end (hehe no pun) everywhere i go, even on my darn driveway.

Pull a tire off the front and take a pic that plainly show's the orientation of the bottom spring seat. They may have installed it upside down. Other than that, theirs really nothing they could have done wrong to cause the higher front. Remember, the 3g's fenders are cut taller in the front. You could always do the front pinch fork mod.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25167 (pics aren't working)

Here's the how to on how to cut them.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=24453

dXsquared
12-28-2003, 11:17 AM
hmm.. 3 inch spring in the rear.. 2.5 inch in the back.. its basically imposible to install them backwards... and the 3G came from the factory like that.. thats why i got coilovers.. i have a slightly raked drop to my car... its about .5 inches higher in the rear than the front.. looks neat...

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
12-28-2003, 11:26 AM
He's on koni's, the bottom spring seat is a seperate part that if install upside down would raise the front end a measure.

smufguy
12-28-2003, 02:22 PM
crap, i tried to take my wheel off, but the bolt seems to have stuck on tight. Oh well time to go to my mechanic. Jim, if i remember correctly, the pinch fork mod should not affect camber right? Besides, what if the spring seat was installed upside down? How does it affect it? My car has about 2" wheel gap in front and none in the rear.

Also Jim, my car looks kinda sloppy in the rear like bend back kinda. I dont really know the reason for it.

How do i adjust the struts tho? How do i max out the rebound and stuff? I lost the sheet that came with the strut and i also dont have the key cause it did not come with it, which was weird. Besides it looks like a regular allen type key. Thanks man. pretty soon i am gonna be asking you about wheels and tires so watch out for my nagg-iness.

Jims 86LXI HB
12-28-2003, 11:41 PM
crap, i tried to take my wheel off, but the bolt seems to have stuck on tight. Oh well time to go to my mechanic. Jim, if i remember correctly, the pinch fork mod should not affect camber right? Besides, what if the spring seat was installed upside down? How does it affect it? My car has about 2" wheel gap in front and none in the rear.

Also Jim, my car looks kinda sloppy in the rear like bend back kinda. I dont really know the reason for it.

How do i adjust the struts tho? How do i max out the rebound and stuff? I lost the sheet that came with the strut and i also dont have the key cause it did not come with it, which was weird. Besides it looks like a regular allen type key. Thanks man. pretty soon i am gonna be asking you about wheels and tires so watch out for my nagg-iness.

Rut roh shaggy :D you didn't adjust the struts before you installed them? That would mean their rebound control is at full soft, yuck! The only way to adjust them is to pull them off the car and make the adjustment changes.

To adjust:
While holding strut in hand push down strut piston rod until it bottoms out.

Turn the sturt rod shaft counter clockwise, you should feel the adjustment mechanism engage and it should stop turning in short order as turning it counterclockwise is adjusting to full soft.

Now that you know you have engaged the adjustment mechanism, you will want to turn the strut rod shaft clockwise while pressing downwards slightly 1 1/2 turns for progress springs. Pull the strut shaft rod up to disengage the adjustment mechanism, it whould be a lot harder to pull up now then it was before. Repeat with the other three struts.