PDA

View Full Version : found coilovers on ebay... will they fit?

LikeNoOtherAccord
06-30-2002, 03:52 PM
:huh: im not sure what to look for when looking at coilovers. i know as much as this... you can adjust the ride height of your car by turning (something) on all four coilovers. um... im pretty much all stock, just want to lower my car badly. im thinking ebay is pretty much the cheapest place. i saw these... here (http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840027907) what do i look for in coilovers??? thanks. matt

hondaman87
06-30-2002, 06:58 PM
yes they fit

Jims 86LXI HB
06-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, since it mentions the *90-97 accord they should fit. But some coilovers ment for the 90-97 accord have to have some of their threaded bodies cut down so they will fit. Theirs no way of know if they will or not untill you purchase them and find out during the install. I don't like the fact that no brand name is mentioned with these coilovers.

*This applies only to coilovers, you cannot use struts or springs ment for 90-97 accords on 3rd gen accords other than coilovers.

When someone asks what the best coilover to buy (sleave type), the universal answer is pretty much always, ground-control. They are on the expensive side, but like I said they are recommended pretty much 10 to 1 over any other brand.
www.ground-control.com

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-01-2002, 11:11 AM
thanks a lot jim, i will keep looking... ground control coilovers are pretty good from what i hear. :cool:

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-01-2002, 11:23 AM
uhh... about all the coilover sets i find are for 90-whatever... im thinking i can get a set for a 1990 accord and make them fit. ill keep looking... :huh:

ACCORD EX
07-01-2002, 12:21 PM
do i get something wrong or that is 1 $ ???

MIKE

hondaman87
07-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Hmmm, since it mentions the *90-97 accord they should fit. But some coilovers ment for the 90-97 accord have to have some of their threaded bodies cut down so they will fit. Theirs no way of know if they will or not untill you purchase them and find out during the install. I don't like the fact that no brand name is mentioned with these coilovers.

*This applies only to coilovers, you cannot use struts or springs ment for 90-97 accords on 3rd gen accords other than coilovers.

When someone asks what the best coilover to buy (sleave type), the universal answer is pretty much always, ground-control. They are on the expensive side, but like I said they are recommended pretty much 10 to 1 over any other brand.
www.ground-control.com

bull shit I have them on my car right know

and for the strut issue i've used the 90-93 accord,honda civics and the acura integra, but my best preference are the 90-93 accord the only thing u have to do is to cut the top of the coil over for the rear on some coil overs other then that there are fine

P.S the only reason i've got the 90-93 acc. is that u get the hight of a stock 3gee. and as far as 3.5 or 4.0 drop

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by hondaman87

bull shit I have them on my car right know

and for the strut issue i've used the 90-93 accord,honda civics and the acura integra, but my best preference are the 90-93 accord the only thing u have to do is to cut the top of the coil over for the rear on some coil overs other then that there are fine

P.S the only reason i've got the 90-93 acc. is that u get the hight of a stock 3gee. and as far as 3.5 or 4.0 drop

Bull shit what? You have what on your car? Your saying I'm wrong about something, but you turn around and pretty much agree with me, I don't get it. Something tells me your misunderstanding what I'm saying. And I'm allot nicer person than to have one of my postings replied to like this.

Over all, could you repost what your trying to say. Their's to many hole's in what your trying to say, you should have reread your posting and edited it. Example, you said, "and for the strut issue", you ment to say spring, not strut, right?

hondaman87
07-01-2002, 05:37 PM
i ment strut never mind about springs they are all the same on every coil over

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 05:46 PM
4th gen struts are quite a bit taller than 3rd gen struts and that's even when you compair shorter bodied Koni and Bilstein sports. So why on earth would anyone run taller than stock struts in a lowered situation? I spoke to the engineers at both Koni and Bilstein and had them look at the technical diagrams for both the 3rd gen accord and the 4th gen accord. I have not made the same phone call to ask about 88-89, 92-95 or 96-2000 civics.

hondaman87
07-01-2002, 05:52 PM
4th gen struts are quite a bit taller than 3rd gen struts and that's even when you compair shorter bodied Koni and Bilstein sports. So why on earth would anyone run taller than stock struts in a lowered situation? I spoke to the engineers at both Koni and Bilstein and had them look at the technical diagrams for both the 3rd gen accord and the 4th gen accord. I have not made the same phone call to ask about 88-89, 92-95 or 96-2000 civics.

now did i say i've got the struts I don't think so I saied i've got the coil overs BUT i've tried the struts for all of this cars and I've got the rear strut of an integra because they are lower tham the 3 geez

LikeNoOtherAccord
07-01-2002, 07:45 PM
yeah only a buck !! ... wait not anymore, you guys bid on them didnt you. :crying:

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 08:03 PM

now did i say i've got the struts I don't think so I saied i've got the coil overs BUT i've tried the struts for all of this cars and I've got the rear strut of an integra because they are lower tham the 3 geez

Hey if you choose to ignor my request for clarifacation, don't give me the I don't think so line. I asked you to restate what you were talking about in whole. Where in this sentence did you clarify what struts your car has now? "and for the strut issue i've used the 90-93 accord,honda civics and the acura integra"

On another point, what struts are one the front of the car then?
Are they ment for the 3rd gen or something else?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-01-2002, 08:08 PM
i ment strut never mind about springs they are all the same on every coil over

Not true, some are progressive, some are linear. And the manufacuers are not all on the same page when it comes to spring rates. And they will have different percentages in the front to rear balance when it comes to those spring rates.

Ground-controls are a example of a coil-over system where all the springs are linear.

hondaman87
07-02-2002, 02:31 PM
On another point, what struts are one the front of the car then?
Are they ment for the 3rd gen or something else? [/B][/QUOTE]

they are the 89 civics on front and integra 90-92 on the rear stock struts

accordlx
07-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Hondaman87, Jim is right. Your points are very vague. Are you saying that struts from a Civic or an Integra fit on a 3rd gen? Are you saying that coilovers from an Integra or a Civic fit on a 3rd gen?

Most (and note I use most not all) coilovers from 90--93 Accords will work on 3rd gens. I personally run 90-93 Accord Ractive coilovers on my car. They work but you can tell during installation that they are not made for my car.

I did a search on GMP performance's website and cross referenced all years of Acura's vs. all years of Hondas from 86 thru present and only found one set of shocks that used the same shock on any 2 given cars. These were the 90-97 Acccord and the 97-99 Acura TL. Both used part # HU3714 front Tokico front strut. No other cars matched up. This doesnt mean that Acura struts and shocks wouldnt work on a 3rd gen Accord, it just means that they werent designed to work. Swapping out springs is one thing but swapping shocks and struts is another.

If you did this and it works then great but please explain in detail what shocks and struts you used. Otherwise dont continue to post in this thread because you are just confusing people. Concise answers are very important. Please do not bash the moderator of this forum. I know Jim knows what he is talking about because Jim makes phone calls and sends emails to find out what works and what doesnt. Im again not discounting what you are saying but frankly, I don't really understand what you are saying.

hondaman87
07-02-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by accordlx

If you did this and it works then great but please explain in detail what shocks and struts you used. Otherwise dont continue to post in this thread because you are just confusing people. Concise answers are very important. Please do not bash the moderator of this forum. I know Jim knows what he is talking about because Jim makes phone calls and sends emails to find out what works and what doesnt. Im again not discounting what you are saying but frankly, I don't really understand what you are saying. [/B]

you see i'm not trying to confuse people! they ask if this works or if that works and I tell them what i know. And the reason I know is by trying them.

The difference between me and jim is that he calls, calls, and calls and What I do is go to the junk yard or get the parts from some one else and try them on, if they work they work, If they don't they get tossed out

and the reason i tryed those cars manufactures is because I wanted my car xtremely low and I achieved that by having my car 1/2 inch from the ground in a car show.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-02-2002, 08:43 PM
If the struts your using are shorter bodied than the stock 3rd gens, how dare you not tell any of us about it. Forget everthing else in this thread it doesn't matter. What matters is we should shaire what we know and help others. I'm going to check and make sure they are or aren't. Man, makes me wonder what else you've found out and haven't talked about, to that end I openenly encourage you to be more forthcomming.

Btw, I don't have a pool of civics, integras, and 4th gen accords to draw from at any junk yard within a 100 miles radius. How the heck am I surposed to check something out that way when the donor car does not exist. I have never seen any of those cars at the junk yards here in central california. So as an example I can't to a junk yard and measure the length of the struts your runnig. What am I to do, call a couple of strut makers that's what.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-03-2002, 12:39 AM

the are the 89 civics on front and 90-92 on the rear stock struts [/B][/QUOTE]

Just noticed, 90-92 are from 2 different generations of civic, they are either 88-91 or 91-96. It may seam like hair splitting, but after all, theirs a big difference between 3rd and 4th gen accords as an example.

hondaman87
07-03-2002, 12:52 PM

the are the 89 civics on front and 90-92 on the rear stock struts

sorry jim for the mistake they are the 90-92 integras on the rear

my mistake

2Fast_Fiero
08-26-2002, 01:40 AM
Hondaman87, which is your car? The stock slamed car? or the gold bad ass on your avvy? And another thing, Don't they make Springs, Struts, Shocks, Coilovers for our cars? Last I thought they did, if they did, why not go with the ones made for our car? Because as Jim and AccordLx is saying, things are made for sertain cars, sertain applications, and if somethings not made for our car, then I would say your shit out of luck, go to the next best thing, because something like that I wouldn't want to mess with, I dont want to be driving down the highway @100mph and one of my Suspension components goes out on me, that just wouldn't be fun at all. I'm with Jim and Accord LX.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-26-2002, 01:57 AM
Oh why oh why did me have to post to this one and bring it back, god somethings are better left alone.

Please do not reply to this thread