PDA

View Full Version : Think Its Time For New Water Pump!

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 07:13 PM
ok, well i thought maybe my engine was screwed and about to go because ive been hearing some clunking noise at idle rpms. well i thought i would have a look see and try finding this noises source. i looked and listened and figured the sound wasnt comming from the bottom end of the engine at all. and i decided it wasnt spark knock. i thought i would look at the pullies. i saw the all were good except for the water pump pulley. a couple of years ago what i think was the water pump, was making a squeeling noise. i didnt fix it, but it stopped on its own. now, i think the bearings in the water pump are going out. i had the engine running while i looked at the belts and pullies and the water pump pully wobbled pariodicly and the clunking noise would start only when it wobbled. since i have that figured out, i think i will be replacing it. i dont think its the original one. along with replacing the pump, i will buy the accessory belts and timming belt. im going to see if i can get this mechanic i know to put the stuff on for under $100. all parts will be about $85. anyone recognize this problem with the water pump? also, i think when you replace the timming belt and accessory belts, its a good idea to install a new water pump for this reason. the bearings going bad.

carotman
12-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Yes, good idea!

However, on our engines, you don't HAVE to replace the timing belt at the same time since the water pump isn't driven by the timing belt but the alternator belt. If it's close to 60k miles, then it might be good to replace the timing belt.

HondaBoy
12-29-2003, 01:28 PM
no, its close to 100000miles! i think its the original belt. im probley gonna get all the other belts along with the timming belt. so, this does sound like a messed up water pump?

HondaBoy
12-31-2003, 04:14 PM
ok. well replacing the water pump isnt expensive at all! the cheapest was $21.99, and the Honda dealership was like $56. im going to get a brand new one. its $28 and some change. the other places, besides the dealership, were remanufactured. im wanting to get the timing belt because thats pretty important and i might as well get to that if im replacing the water pump. i know i want to get the alternator/water pump belt, but the ps and a/c belts arent necessary. personally, i could do without those. the ps doesnt work realy, ever since i got it replaced, it feels like i dont have power steering anyway. works as good as it does with the car off. and my a/c doesnt work, so i think i may take that off and gain a tiny bit of power if any. should i remove the a/c compressor? or just the belt, or maybe leave it on. all this stuff isnt as much as i thought it would be.

NXRacer
12-31-2003, 04:17 PM
It is the water pump. My car did the exact same thing. Hondas are supposed to purr, and mine was making all kinds of aweful noises when the water pump went out.

the water pump is SUPER easy to do, but since you might have somebody who can change out the timing belt at the same time, i'd say go for it. You cant go wrong changing the t-belt.

Crazee3g
12-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Back when I had my shitsubishi it had the same problem. replaced the water pump and it was good to go.

HondaBoy
01-01-2004, 02:37 PM
ok, i got the water pump for $34.62, T belt for about $23, and 3 other belts for $18. so, all in all, i didnt spend too damn much on some much needed parts! about the a/c belt and ps belt, what do y'all think about those. leave em, or take em off?

k-roy
01-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Take them off alone with the pumps and extra lines.

NXRacer
01-02-2004, 10:53 AM
if you dont want ac or ps, take em off, but if you wanna keep them, they're probably good unless you find out otherwise.

SteveDX89
01-05-2004, 12:11 PM
I had the bearings go out on my water pump too. I could see the little balls behind the pulley. It made a terrible noise too. It was a pain to replace it for me because I left the airbox on the carb and i didn't have room to work with. It's looks like you're fuel injected so it should be less trouble. It took about an hour to replace. I think I made the belt too tight when I was done cause my alternator seized up a week later.

nswst8
01-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Good plan on the parts replacement. But don't understand why you don't have the P/S or A/c running. They are fairly simple to convert, did my a/c six years ago. Had a small leak that needed to be filled almost yearly until my hook ups ran dry on the R12. then went straight to off the self R134 didn't drain the compressor or change the accumalator. I don't like hearing you guys going without these simple repairs. LOL
NSWST8

k-roy
01-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Well my condensor and compressor were both shot, and the lines were cracked. So I just ripped them out and never looked back

Power steering is useless on such a light car. I have decent sized forearms so its not a problem for me. The steering is more precise now. I am a control freak. Plus it gives back a couple of HP that it robs.

Magny
01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
i got one word to solve the problem ( lol ), USE WD-40!!!!

fixed my squealing sound in a jiff, but may not fix it for a long period. I just got fed up with the squealing sound today, so I went and bought a bottle of WD-40 and sprayed it up with the engine running. So far so good. May be the wrong thing to do, but its a way not to put up with the squealing sound everyday.

As for the PS and the AC, dump them. No need for them. They rob at least 5-10% of your HP from drag. Plus when you pull out the AC compressor, lines, PS pump & lines too, they lighten your car by about 80-100 lbs., at least IMO. Lighter is better no matter what the source is.

88Accord-DX
01-15-2005, 10:56 PM
As for the PS and the AC, dump them. No need for them.
That is if you want to ride around in an oven during summer time. :lol:

If your going to break it all the way down (Hondaboy) to re-place the timing belt too, it would be a good idea to replace that idler/belt tensoiner in there... That is if you want too.

HondaBoy
01-16-2005, 12:09 PM
huh? this is really old. as of now i've kept the PS. it still doesnt work right so i still need to work on that. as for AC, it hasnt worked in years, so i dont intend on replacing the belt unless i want to spend some money on new AC components. i already know about having a hot car in the summer, i've dont it for years, so i'm used to it. its a major plus having power windows! thank honda for that.

AccordEpicenter
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
lol my aftermarket water pump started making queer noises like that and by the time i changed it, it had nearly a quarter inch of wobble in the shaft (next step would have been failure) boy was i glad i changed it then

pendejo
01-18-2005, 02:21 AM
SteveDX, I had the same problem, H2O pump went out, 2 days later Alt. goes out! AccordEppicenter, at least you had some warning. I went to tell my work I quit, and the car sounded normal, then when I get back outside, damn thing starts squealing like a mofo, but at least I got home before it totally went kapoot:)