PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with my idle

SteveDX89
12-29-2003, 07:07 PM
I ran through the vac line removal on my car. I can't seem to get the idle right. When I turn the throttle stop screw, it doesn't do anything anymore. If I turn it to raise the idle, it works but I guess it's turned the whole way down. I've been trying to adjust the throttle cable but it's not working right. I don't think the throttle is closing the whole way. I close it manually and then adjust the locknuts on the throttle cable to stay at that idle. Then I rev it up and it doesn't go back down to that idle. I don't think the throttle is closing to the point that I set it at. The idle adjustment screw is backed way out so that it's not even touching the throttle lever. Is there some kind of spring on the throttle lever that returns it that may be worn? I'm idling between 1750 and 2000. What can I do to fix this?

P.S. I searched for an answer but couldn't find anything that matched my problem.

shepherd79
12-30-2003, 04:01 AM
spray some carb cleaner on the primary barrel linkage. there may be some dirt.
turn it manualy and see if there is anything that stops it from comming back.
it may be worn but i doubt it.
how do you adjust your throttle linkage.

SteveDX89
12-30-2003, 06:04 AM
I sprayed carb cleaner on it yesterday. Didn't seem to do much except clean the dirt off. When I turn it manually, nothing stops it that I can see. I can tell it doesn't go all the way back to where I put it manually. I haven't been adjusting the linkage, just the position of the cable. It's weird because the car idled normally before I started messing with the carb.

A20A1
12-30-2003, 11:16 AM
I would find a way to add a secondary return spring to the carb just in case. I added one to the right side of my carb... to the primary linkage on one of the A/C idle boost parts I believe.

A20A1
12-30-2003, 11:21 AM
You don't want this happening. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=10327

SteveDX89
12-30-2003, 12:32 PM
I went outside and looked at the idle adjustment screw. It's seems that whenever I have the airbox off to adjust it, the throttle doesn't touch the screw. But when I bolt the airbox back on, it's like it tries to close the throttle more or something and it hits the screw. I'd like to adjust it with the airbox on but I don't think I have a screwdriver long enough.

Edit - As soon as I started the car, the throttle lever backed off the screw and wasn't touching. I don't know what's up.

shepherd79
12-30-2003, 02:21 PM
something has to do with airbox. it can be blocking something.
did you do any thing with AC boost controller on the other side of the linkage?
what kind airbox do you have?
can you take some pictures of your setup?

SteveDX89
12-30-2003, 02:33 PM
I adjusted the AC idle boost so that the rpm's stay about the same when I turn my headlights on. I'm using the stock airbox. I'm not so sure it's the air box anymore since the throttle backed off the idle screw when I started it up.

A20A1
01-01-2004, 01:49 PM
keep the air bleeds blocked off when you reinstall the air cleaner

geofstan
01-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I had this problem when I backed of my throttle stop screw. the problem was the previous owner had adjusted the throttle with the cable, so try slackening of the cable a little. Hopefully this works for you

geofstan
01-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Forgot to mention make sure the engine is at operating temp. before you adjust it.

a20ricer
01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
hey my car did that after i adjusted my carb and i came to find it was only my throttle cable not having enough slack. try pulling the gas pedal back manually to see if this helps the idle go down

soljaboy2000
01-18-2004, 09:31 PM
hey a20a1.....what about @2:00pm tomorrow??

A20A1
01-27-2004, 11:58 PM
You might be pulling more vacuum at the distributor advance...

anyways back off all the adjustment screws and then adjust the idle in neutral using the throtle stop screw. (loosen the throttle cable if you have to)

then throw the car in gear and adjust the throttle controller thats on the left side of the carb. (this applies to automatic transmission only I think)

then turn on the a/c and the headlights and the fan and ajust the a/c idle boost screw on the right side of the carb.

someone correct me if I'm off.