PDA

View Full Version : will a header hinder this setup much?

neoblue89lxi
12-29-2003, 09:18 PM
This is my exhaust setup it includes magnaflow xl muffler with tip and highflow cat and new flex pipe and gaskets. I will be having the pipes mendrel bent and increased to 2.25. Once this is done will there not be a noticable difference in power since the header will be stock for now.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/393000-393999/393638_60_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/393000-393999/393638_61_full.jpg

BITESIZE
12-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Ti-ttttt-ies!!!!!!! Get a header and straight pipe that to unleash the power!!!

neoblue89lxi
12-29-2003, 09:22 PM
so a header is important to complete the exhaust set up? By straight pipe do you mean dont even have a converter?

Jims 86LXI HB
12-30-2003, 12:05 AM
so a header is important to complete the exhaust set up? By straight pipe do you mean dont even have a converter?

Do not straight pipe, exhaust gas volocity is your friend, you will loose power that way.

On your question, you'll feel some slight gains at best until you replace the header, your mainly getting good sound quality or replacing a warn out system right now. I would seriously consider adding a resonator or 4" round premuffler to your setup, you'll likely have bad rosonating inside the car at rpm levels you'll use most offten around town. I kept the oem resonator on the car, that was a mistake, should have done a aftermarket resonator or 4" round muffler in it's place.

smufguy
12-30-2003, 07:16 AM
awsome set up dude. I like it, but i would suggest if possible give the Flex pipe back and just do the cat and the exhaust back from it for now. THen get the DC headers. Since this header, as u know, comes with a flex pipe, u dont have to get a new flex pipe for your set up now, unless the old one is crapped out.

A20A1
12-30-2003, 10:48 AM
All that came in the same box? How much?

neoblue89lxi
12-30-2003, 11:11 AM
No, I ordered it all seperately off of ebay. Muffler 60 tip 30 highflow cat 70 flexpipe and flanges 15 mandrel pipes and installation 120 the feeling of great sound and power, priceless.

neoblue89lxi
12-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Where would the resonator go? In place of the flex pipe and if so how would the pipes be able to expand and contract?

Justin86
12-30-2003, 07:58 PM
put it where the stock ones is in front of the gas tank.

smufguy
12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
the resonator goes bwt the cat and the muffler. Usually on the longer pipe bwt the cat and the muffler.

smufguy
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
well a little addition to this dying thread.

I got my cat back today with a 2.25" press bend pipe (saves you 200+ bux with literally no performance loss compared to the mandrel bend) and a resonator.

what do i get outta it? Faster and quicker response than the stock cat back. Quiter and much more engine ease at idle. an easy way to burn your fella VR6. hehehehe.

Vinny
01-05-2004, 09:36 AM
2 quick questions Neo. Why did you order a flexpipe if you plan on installing a header?????????? have you found a place out your way that will do a mandrel axhaust and how much are they going to charge you?

neoblue89lxi
01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
they said 120 for pipes and all of the welding needed for cat , muffler, flex pipe.

nswst8
01-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, since were on the subject of performance exhaust systems. I had a Pace Setter system including header, also monza high flow cat. The power gains where great, but the problem I had was that the car ran poorly until the check engine light came on usually soon after a short amount of driving. Someone had mentioned to me that I needed to wire a resitor somewhere. Can anyone clerify. I want to eventually go back to a high performance exhaust system again, but not until I know how to bypass the system correctly. Got rid of the PaceSetter, the baffles in the muffler kept coming unwelded sounded like crap.
Thanks
NSWST8

smufguy
01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
they said 120 for pipes and all of the welding needed for cat , muffler, flex pipe.

Mandrel bend is around $400 and its not worth it and for that money its not worth it. For 120 bux u are getting whats called a Press bend. It looks like a mandrel and smooth like it, but still not a mandrel. You are virtually loosing no performance with this bend. ALso dont get confused with the Crinkle bend. Press bend is NOT a crinkle (Krinkle) bend. There are no rippled on the bends.

Going with a 2.25" piping all out to the muffler will make your car feel like it has no power below 2.5 or 3 thousand revs. But the power is there, its a smoother accelerating power and you will notice it when you time yourself. Like i said, When you have a full exhaust and whoop a VR6, you will know how fast it is. WIth a 2800 lbs car, man... we are rocking. :D

smufguy
01-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, since were on the subject of performance exhaust systems. I had a Pace Setter system including header, also monza high flow cat. The power gains where great, but the problem I had was that the car ran poorly until the check engine light came on usually soon after a short amount of driving. Someone had mentioned to me that I needed to wire a resitor somewhere. Can anyone clerify. I want to eventually go back to a high performance exhaust system again, but not until I know how to bypass the system correctly. Got rid of the PaceSetter, the baffles in the muffler kept coming unwelded sounded like crap.
Thanks
NSWST8

when you say the car ran poorly, do you mean poor idling or poor gas milage or poor acceleration (no performance)? Check to see if your primary and your secondary (primary) Oxygen sensors are switched around.

Also is your car the 86-87 model or the 88-89 model.

You dont need no resistor. If its all put in right, it just works. I have a DC, Catco, Dynomax with 2.25" piping and never have i gotten a Check engine light. Reset your ECU (DIsconnecting the battery works best) and see if that helps.

Whats the code on the ECU (under the driver Seat)? Once you get the code, its easier to work from there cause its pretty much narrowed down.