PDA

View Full Version : Loud winding-down noise when I brake, and stupid electrical problem.

Leviathant
12-30-2003, 09:33 AM
I guess I'll post the (probably) easier problem first.
I got the ignition switch fixed on my 89 DX, and the startup problems went away for me. That's good. But the guy who changed it for me must have forgot to connect something, because now the fans (for the heat/air) don't work, and the stock radio won't turn on (though it -does- light up). The heat works, but without the fans, you have to be doing at least 40mph to get the air flow working just through venting.

I imagine that's an easy fix? Maybe something just didn't get hooked up when putting things back together.

Now about two weeks ago, my wife noticed that when braking from, say, highway speeds, the car makes a loud-ish descending/winding-down noise. Of course she didn't say anything about this, and when I swapped cars so I could take hers to get it's oil changed, I heard it myself and asked about it ;p

WTF is causing that? I had a car with bad brakes, I had to replace them every year and a half, I ended up with bad rotors and a cracked ball joint on the thing. So I've had some pretty bad brake experiences. The Honda brakes fine, but it makes this big winding down noise when it happens.

Anyone have similar experiences? Many thanks;

--Matt

Mike's89AccordLX
12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Mine makes a cool noise b/c I have those spend slotted and dimpled brake rotors. EBC brakes (I think its EBC its been awhile and I forget. I got them on tirerack.com and I also bought the GREENSTUFF brake pads made by the same company.)

chriskatana
12-30-2003, 09:49 AM
the fan problem if probably a fuse, check both blocks (under the dash and under the hood.) the noise you hear is from the tires, they are either cupped or unevenly worn, that causes the noise under braking. It should not cause any adverse problems and my just go away as the tires wear down. make sure that wen you get new tires to get an alignment to keep the problems from happening on your next set of tires.

Leviathant
12-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Not sure why I didn't figure it to be my tires, ha. Thanks for your help guys!

I haven't checked the fuses under the hood yet, but the ones in the dash all looked fine. Before we changed the ignition out, the radio would half-work: It would stay on fine as long as you didn't get a station in, but once it tuned to a station, the radio would turn off. Handy, right?

Quick question coming from having a car that's never worked right - are the climate controls supposed to light up when you turn your lights on? When the fans still worked, I had to guess where they were (because my interior lights don't work either, hehe. Ugh). Since I don't know anyone else around here who's got a 3g, I can't tell what is and isn't working right on my car :)