PDA

View Full Version : Koni shocks help

buish
12-30-2003, 04:59 PM
How can I tell if my Koni's are blown?

Based on other shocks I've used, when you compress the piston rod on the shock to the bottom, it rebounds back up by itself. But on the Koni's when I compress them to the bottom, they stay there. I was told that is suppose to be that way. Is that true?

What settings should I begin out with on them? I am using Sprint springs. Most people on here say 1 full turn out from softest?

Jims 86LXI HB
12-30-2003, 11:48 PM
How can I tell if my Koni's are blown?

Based on other shocks I've used, when you compress the piston rod on the shock to the bottom, it rebounds back up by itself. But on the Koni's when I compress them to the bottom, they stay there. I was told that is suppose to be that way. Is that true?

What settings should I begin out with on them? I am using Sprint springs. Most people on here say 1 full turn out from softest?

Koni's red's are not gas charged, so it's not possible for them to move back up when you push the piston rod down since they have no gas pressure to push them up. Basically their are three main types of shocks and struts, Hyrdaulic (not gas pressurized), low pressure gas charged twin tube and mono tube high pressure gas charged (Bilstien's).

Only use the 1 full turn for softer lowering springs, like the H&R's and Neuspeeds. Sprints are plenty stiff, use 1 1/2 turns. The Koni's are off course shipped set to full soft.

buish
12-31-2003, 01:51 AM
jim, can you rephrase your first sentence? so its "not" possible for them to move back up when the piston rod is down b/c they are not gas charged?

carotman
12-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Mine did the same thing. They would not come back. I guess it's normal. However. My friend's integra struts would come back up (they are Konis)

Gregg86DX
12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
jim, can you rephrase your first sentence? so its "not" possible for them to move back up when the piston rod is down b/c they are not gas charged?

The Koni's are not under pressure like some "gas charged" shocks. They stay where you put them, up, down or middle. I'm not sure how to test if they are blown, but on the stiffest setting, it's almost impossible to pull the rod back out after fully compressed (by hand), at least they were on mine when I bought them.

Gregg

Jims 86LXI HB
12-31-2003, 10:37 AM

Yeah, sorry about that, I edited my post and added some info.