PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Stuck on...

tmac
12-30-2003, 07:31 PM
OK this is the 2nd time this has happened to my LX, the high idle sticks on and you can not get it to come off. Then when you shut the car off it diesels for a while. I managed to fix the problem last time by sparying the carb with carb cleaner. I did notice that there was a little clip getting stuck and causing the high idle to stick. But since it is still clean what would cause this to be happening?

locknload68
12-30-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm having the same problem. I'm currently trying to understand how the whole system works.

I am planning on checking some stuff tomorrow and try to narrow down what it could be. I'll let you know what I find out, if I find anything...lol

tmac
12-30-2003, 09:40 PM
ok cool, i will just spray it with cleaner again, no time till the weekend

Dutchboy
01-02-2004, 10:38 AM
tmac.....does this seem to only happen when it is cold out like is is now in the okanagan????.....if so do you have the heat tube runnning to the air cleaner and is it working properly????you are probably experiencing icicng up in the carb or if your car is like my lx...it has attitude...mine does the same...sometimes....
My idle always almost stays revved to like 2.5 after starting it back up when i been driving it for a long time....i still dont understand why....im going to eventually redo the vacuum system once i get rid off all the emssions...but i will wait till its a little warmer outside....
Ben

tmac
01-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah that could be it, I will check, I think that hose is connected. Not sure if I am going to put the time into fixing it right now, ICBC is wanting to write it off, it was in an accident in Oct, plus the upper ball joint is gone now, so above 50 and the car is tough to drive. I was only driving it because my EX-i was rear ended on the 17th, and is no longer legal to drive. I wasn't even in the car at the time, but got hit by the other car after he hit mine. So both will goto ICBC and I will buy this Ex-i in summerland, and also buy back my Ex-i for parts. Then I will have 2 spare engines for my new car.

Dutchboy
01-02-2004, 11:06 AM
you shouldnt need a spare engine......these things are almost bulletproof....i got almost 300000km on it now.....burns no oil ....just needs some drivetrain work....never failed to run or start...I actually have a 88exi 4door that is for parts....i just use it mainly for lights and other dodads.....I sure hope that these engines are bulletproof....im driving to palm springs in a week and i am sure as hell hoping it runs smoothly all the way there and back....good luck with ICBC...dont let those jerks screw you....

HondaBoy
01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
i used to have this problem. and yeah, spraying a bit of carb cleaner helped a lot! also, something that helped my idle go down was when i checked my vacuum lines, one had a hole in it. just for some preventive maintanence, just check the lines on you carb. some will come loose once and a while. hope that will help.

tmac
01-02-2004, 01:07 PM
yeah the engine in my LX has 430k on it. The first a20a3 has 270k on it but burns oil on start up, the one in the Ex-i only has 170k on it. The previos owner must have driven the shit outta that engine that is now burning oil, since the clutch was also done.

You should make it to palm springs, and hopefully back.

Oh and I will start checking the vacuum lines.

Thanks guys

x3r0
01-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I had a problem just like this.. the car would stick on high idle... but this was because the alternator was going bad ;-)

Also on a cold start the engine is supose to idle up to 2000-3000 rpm... it has to be manual turned off high idle by pressing the accelerator.. this is the way the car was designed.

tmac
01-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I managed to part that car off, the cv joint, and ball joints on the same side packed it in.

This plus the high idle problem, managed to get most of my money back outta it.

A20A1
01-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Could just be a sticky throttle shaft or linkage... check the cable tensione and recheck the cable and linkages for binding... lift the accel pedal with your foot or hand if you find it idling high again... and also try opening and closing the throttle by hand by moving the throttle lever on the carb.

rollinhnda88
01-29-2004, 03:53 AM
This just happend to my car.. i got it fixed because there were too vacum lines melted shut so i replaced them and ever since then its been fine it will shut off as soon as i hit the gas pedel..

A20A1
01-29-2004, 11:51 PM
wow how did they melt shut? Did it look intentional? I've fixed a few carbed cars that had some nasty work done to them as temporary fixes or to sort of cover up a simple problem that could have been solved with a little carb adjustment / rebuild.

Dutchboy
02-23-2004, 03:38 PM
open the air box lid..do this when the high idle is stuck on or just on for that reason and see if the choke is closed ....then open the choke plate by hand and pull up on the throttle cable or get someone to blip the gas for you...this should make the idle go down......if it does then the choke is the culprit and not the fast idle......be aware the fast idle will go bak on once you hit the gas and the choke closes again....