PDA

View Full Version : Tail light and instrument cluster lights out..HELP

rleyba
12-31-2003, 09:19 AM
There has been serveral posts with the problem of the tail lights and interior lights not working. All fuses are good, the brake lights work, but when I put on the parking or headlights the tails and the instrument panel lights and heater control etc lights do not come on. If anybody knows the fix or where I can start as far as tracking down where the short could be, please reply.. Thanks soooo much... Rose Anne

lightbulblxi
12-31-2003, 06:51 PM
i had that same problem. except mine ended kinda bad. i was drivin my car w/o my liscense and cop flipped on his lights cuz my tail lights werent on. so i drop it in 2nd and take off. only went a couple of blocks then pulled over. my car got impounded and i had a guy there fix it.

Mac
12-31-2003, 07:01 PM
Fuse #14 in the dash fuse box is good? If so check the combo switch. Pull fuse #14, and turn on the light (combo) switch. Check for 12 volts where you pulled the fuse from. It should be there, if not a good chance the contacts in the combo switch are dirty.

rleyba
01-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Fuse #14 in the dash fuse box is good? If so check the combo switch. Pull fuse #14, and turn on the light (combo) switch. Check for 12 volts where you pulled the fuse from. It should be there, if not a good chance the contacts in the combo switch are dirty.

Thanks for the response. Is the combo switch the switch to turn on the parking lamps and lights? How do I check for 12 volts? How many amps is fuse 14? Thanks again for your help!!

Mac
01-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Yes the combo switch is the headlight switch. Pull fuse #14 and turn the headlights on then check for 12 volts at the fuse.

rleyba
01-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Yes the combo switch is the headlight switch. Pull fuse #14 and turn the headlights on then check for 12 volts at the fuse.

Ok so then I turn on the switch with fuse 14 out? What if there isn't 12 volts? I think there has to be a short somewhere because I had that problem with the lights.. Then I parked the car for about 1wk and tried the lights and they worked again. NOw they stopped working and no signals this time. I am going to go pull the fuse now and will keep you updated. Also let me know if there is anything else I should check. thanks again!!

Not like a rock
01-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I had this problem and had to replace my combo-switches. It isn't very hard as long as the steering wheel comes off easy.

If you are going to do this, notice that there is a part of your lower dash, right below the steering wheel that comes off. Most manuals just say "remove the dash," but there is a panel with 4 screws. Take that out and you can reach the wire harness no problem.

rleyba
01-04-2004, 12:11 PM
I had this problem and had to replace my combo-switches. It isn't very hard as long as the steering wheel comes off easy.

If you are going to do this, notice that there is a part of your lower dash, right below the steering wheel that comes off. Most manuals just say "remove the dash," but there is a panel with 4 screws. Take that out and you can reach the wire harness no problem.

Could you give me a little bit more detail as far as replacing the combo switches because I have a spare car where I can get them from. Also fuse14 was good. Thanks

MrBen
01-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Check paul's site www.pauldesign.ru in the manuals.

Also, it is possible to simply take the combo switch apart and clean ALL the contacts and everything. Then put it back together. There was a thread about this but search wont let me search back that far since it isn't working right.

rleyba
01-04-2004, 02:26 PM
I replaced the combo switch and still NO luck..any other ideas?? If this matters, when I would move the hazard switch the signals would stop working. Then I would mess with the hazard switch and signal switch back and forth and then they would start working again. Now I have no signals, tail lights and instrument panel lights...PLEASE HELP!!!

rleyba
01-05-2004, 06:53 AM

Which wire harness are you talking about??

Not like a rock
01-05-2004, 10:27 AM
There are two bundles of wires that go from each side of the combo switch unit. The get wraped together in a big black hose that goes from the combo switches into the dash, then splits off into 3 separate connections down by the fuses. There is usually some yellow tape on the black hose right where it all splits apart.

I don't know if you can change just the headlight switch. I had to change the whole package: black box with turn signals and all wires. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture. Maybe I can bust off some film and get it developed in a day or two.

rleyba
01-05-2004, 01:32 PM
There are two bundles of wires that go from each side of the combo switch unit. The get wraped together in a big black hose that goes from the combo switches into the dash, then splits off into 3 separate connections down by the fuses. There is usually some yellow tape on the black hose right where it all splits apart.

I don't know if you can change just the headlight switch. I had to change the whole package: black box with turn signals and all wires. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture. Maybe I can bust off some film and get it developed in a day or two.

Ok because the only thing I replaced was the switch itself, no wires. It was just a switch with a lil spring at the end that could make it move up or down with a steely if u will. Hmmm...could be that lil white plastic thing that needs to be cleaned..Thanks for your help..please let me know if I've missed anything and if you think of anything else I can look for..thanks

OH yeah did you see the reply about the hazard switch. Well when I moved that hazard switch my signals stopped working.. that has happened before but moving it back and forth I got them to work again in the past..this time they don't come back on.

Not like a rock
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
If you have the parts on your parts car, you should swap the whole set-up with wires and everything. That little white plastic peice is probably the turn signal cancelling sleeve (I think), and shouldn't be the problem.

If you haven't taken the combo switches right off of the steering column yet, but you are going to, there are two screws that took me forever to find. One near the top of the black box, one near the bottom. You have to sit in the seat and look at the box straigt on to see them and might have to move the turn signal up or down as well. My manual didn't say where they were, so it took like ten minutes just to find them.

rleyba
01-05-2004, 02:32 PM
If you have the parts on your parts car, you should swap the whole set-up with wires and everything. That little white plastic peice is probably the turn signal cancelling sleeve (I think), and shouldn't be the problem.

If you haven't taken the combo switches right off of the steering column yet, but you are going to, there are two screws that took me forever to find. One near the top of the black box, one near the bottom. You have to sit in the seat and look at the box straigt on to see them and might have to move the turn signal up or down as well. My manual didn't say where they were, so it took like ten minutes just to find them.

I took the combo switch off, the one that's used for turing on the lights, signals, etc. I only took the switch off. I don't know where to even begin to take off the whole thing (the mount for the switches, hazard button)..thanks again

Not like a rock
01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
You might have done some of this already:

1. Use a screw-driver to pop the 'H' emblem off of the steering wheel.
2. Behind that is a 3/4 inch nut. It will probably be stiff, so get someone to hold the wheel for you while you loosen the nut.
3. Once that is off, the steering wheel can come off. My wheel slid right off, but you might need a puller. You will have to disconnect a wire from a little clip once the wheel is off.
4. Take the upper and lower column covers off (4 screws on the bottom of the plastic cover). I assume that you did this anyway to replace the one switch.
5. Remove the slip ring (the disc part that spins, that was behind the steering wheel, where that wire was plugged in). There are four screws around the outside of the disc.
6. Take out the turn signal cancel sleeve (little plastic peice that will slide right out).
7. Now you can take the combo switch assembly off. Refer to the previous post for removing the two screws. They are set back, inside the assembly and you just have to sit in the seat and look at it straight on to find them.

If the wires are slack enough, you can pull the assembly out, just sit in the seat and pull it toward you (after you take the two screws out). If not, you might have to disconnect the wires first. That means you have to trace them by hand and find the right connectors.

All this stuff is pretty easy. The only problem would be if you need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. And make sure your wheels are straight and you make marks on the steering wheel and column cover. That way you can get your steering wheel back on straight.

rleyba
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM
You might have done some of this already:

1. Use a screw-driver to pop the 'H' emblem off of the steering wheel.
2. Behind that is a 3/4 inch nut. It will probably be stiff, so get someone to hold the wheel for you while you loosen the nut.
3. Once that is off, the steering wheel can come off. My wheel slid right off, but you might need a puller. You will have to disconnect a wire from a little clip once the wheel is off.
4. Take the upper and lower column covers off (4 screws on the bottom of the plastic cover). I assume that you did this anyway to replace the one switch.
5. Remove the slip ring (the disc part that spins, that was behind the steering wheel, where that wire was plugged in). There are four screws around the outside of the disc.
6. Take out the turn signal cancel sleeve (little plastic peice that will slide right out).
7. Now you can take the combo switch assembly off. Refer to the previous post for removing the two screws. They are set back, inside the assembly and you just have to sit in the seat and look at it straight on to find them.

If the wires are slack enough, you can pull the assembly out, just sit in the seat and pull it toward you (after you take the two screws out). If not, you might have to disconnect the wires first. That means you have to trace them by hand and find the right connectors.

All this stuff is pretty easy. The only problem would be if you need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off. And make sure your wheels are straight and you make marks on the steering wheel and column cover. That way you can get your steering wheel back on straight.

Ok I did all of the above steps including taking off the steering wheel. I'm not sure which wires I have to pull out or have enough slack. What are these wires connected to? When I take off all the components, I will try and find the two screws you are referring to that are hard to find. When/If I take off these wires...then what?? Do I replace what you referred to as the "whole package": black box with turn signals and all wires. Previously, the only thing I swapped was the combo switch, the one that turns on the lights...just the handle part I replaced, I used the same steely ball. Thanks for your help and detail..with your help..I know it will get fixed. :cheers:

Not like a rock
01-07-2004, 01:41 AM
I think the easiest solution will be to replace the black box, the switches and the wires: the whole package. The manual refers to it as the combination switch assembly.

Once you have the steering wheel off, and the rotating disc directly behind the steering wheel, and the two hard to see screws, pull the black box toward yourself. You will notice that here is a bundle of wires running from each side of the black box (basically, running from the switches on either side) down the steering column and into the dash.

You will have to get below the steering column, so your head is down by the pedals, and look up to trace where those wires go. It isn't too hard because, as I mentioned before, they get wrapped in one big hose. They plug into three separate connectors that are roughly near the fuses behind the coin box.

rleyba
01-12-2004, 06:50 AM
I think the easiest solution will be to replace the black box, the switches and the wires: the whole package. The manual refers to it as the combination switch assembly.

Once you have the steering wheel off, and the rotating disc directly behind the steering wheel, and the two hard to see screws, pull the black box toward yourself. You will notice that here is a bundle of wires running from each side of the black box (basically, running from the switches on either side) down the steering column and into the dash.

You will have to get below the steering column, so your head is down by the pedals, and look up to trace where those wires go. It isn't too hard because, as I mentioned before, they get wrapped in one big hose. They plug into three separate connectors that are roughly near the fuses behind the coin box.

Great News!!! I fixed it... I replaced the black box, "the switches and the wires: the whole package. The manual refers to it as the combination switch assembly". Turns out one of the plugs on the wire harness was burned. Thanks for all your help... :)