PDA

View Full Version : Stock Radio Problems

PsychoPaul
12-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Hello People,

Ok here is my problem. I just bought my accord about a week and a half ago. The stock radio works and doesn't work. Not sure if it's just because it's aged or something. Sometimes when i start the car it works right away, then about 2 minutes later, nothing. Sometimes when i start the car it doesn't work and then about 5 minutes later it works. I also have problems like it working for a while then it stops working.

I've completley taken the head unit out and checked to make sure there was contact on the antena and on the power/speaker cable connector to the radio, doesn't seem loose at all. i checked the wiring as much as i could to see if it was cracked or anything. couldn't really see much since it is all taped up etc. I checked the fuse on the back of the radio and under the dash next to the steering column, seems good. Not sure what else i can check.

I know it's probably better to buy a new radio/cd unit but at the moment i don't wish to spend money on something like that, as the car needs some body work etc, prefer to concentrate on that.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great. thank you.

adams86lxi
12-31-2003, 07:20 PM
my car did something similar when i installed a aftermarket cd player. It would turn off and then turn on especially when i would turn on the fan or the antenna or something else electrical. I found out it was the ignition switch i would jiggle it and the cd player would turn back on. Next time try when the tape deck goes off again try wiggling your key and see if it turns back on.

PsychoPaul
01-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Ok i'll try that next time.

I also noticed it might be a heat thing. though i haven't fully "investigated" that. Because today when i left my moms garage it worked no problem for my whole 15 minute trip. In my moms garage the heater is right next to my car. I'll see later today when i leave my appartment. Since i have to park outside.

PsychoPaul
01-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Hmmm still having problems. i tried the ignition tip, but didn't do much for me. Not sure if it's a loose wire now. because i hit a small bump and it went off. but it doesn't happen everytime i hit a bump. so not sure if it really is a loose wire. Though i do have to say that heat makes a difference. when it's cold, it might turn on right away, but it will stop working after a while. then come on gradually. I say gradually because it cuts off then comes in slowly, quietly then loud then quiet, and then eventually normal. But i know the radio works (in terms of power and connection to speakers) because when i have no sound from the radio, if i turn up the volume to the max, i hear the hiss of the "air" or static if you prefer. Tape deck doesn't work if the radio doesn't work. I'm at a loss. And i would really like to get this working without paying someone to look at it. I know stock radio is crap but what if it's not the radio, i just want something that works.

:321: radio

accordlxi2.0
01-03-2004, 02:56 PM
that hissing your hearing is more than likely the amp (optional), so the radio itself is problay working when it want's.
is your system stock?

PsychoPaul
01-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Yes very stock, original radio and speakers. I haven't done anything to it. though when i got the car the radio was loose. so maybe the previous owner did something.

Also something i noticed. Sometimes the radio works but the output is not strong. Meaning i have to put the volume at max to get a sound and even then it's not very strong. So maybe it is this amp you are talking about. unless that didn't come with the stock car.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram? So i can follow the cables to see if anything is visibly cracked/broken.

Thanks for the assistance.

accordlxi2.0
01-04-2004, 09:36 PM
okay first look by the panel on the driver's side there's a connector there too.
and check the amp, too.

HondaBoy
01-04-2004, 11:26 PM
mine had something wrong with it. i replaced it like 3 years ago. when you would turn it up, the speakers wouldnt bass good and would just vibrate, even after they were replaced. it was like it was all distorted or something. anyway, i just went to the pawn show and got a good CD player head unit. i want a new one now. anyway, maybe yours just needs some easy electrical help. hope you get it working.

PsychoPaul
01-05-2004, 06:59 AM
sorry accordlxi2.0 i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to that, hehehe. what connector am i suppose to be looking for? I'll check all of them tonight when i get the chance just incase. And the amp where is that located and what does it look like?

hondaboy, i don't wanna spend money. got way to much money to put into the car. TO MUCH RUST!!! hehe i hope i get it working soon!!!

cubert
01-05-2004, 07:16 AM
if you want a diagram still i can probably get it for you by early afternoon..

reminds meof my radio...loose wires touching and stuff..one night i was driving and i hit a bump..all of a sudden sparks go off behind the radio..i almost shit a brick

PsychoPaul
01-05-2004, 07:28 AM
xl cubert lx would be nice just to make sure. Don't go to crazy on it, it's still just a stock radio. Just want to know where all the wires go. And i would have definatly shit a brick if i saw that happening in my car. My seats are red/brown (what is that color, maroon or something like that) and i would have made them pure brown lol! and stinky to!

cubert
01-05-2004, 11:13 AM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/405000-405999/405310_4_full.gif hope that can help a little

Immeraufdemhund
01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
i didn'tk now our cars came witha amp... is that in the sei model?

PsychoPaul
01-05-2004, 06:15 PM
xl cubert lx: thank you, saved it, printed it. will check things out when i get the chance. to dang cold right now!

Immeraufdemhund: i didn't know either!

Any idea where the amp or the antena motor is? i think the antena is far behind the fuse box under the dash, but not sure how to get access to it. As mine is no longer raising and lowering the antena. I think the plastic "belt" is finished. motor still runs though. blah not important right now.

Immeraufdemhund
01-05-2004, 06:17 PM
i found something that said amp under my passanger side of my car, i took it off a long time ago and never noticed a difference. so i guess i just figured to run with it.

cubert
01-05-2004, 06:17 PM
i didn'tk now our cars came witha amp... is that in the sei model?no idea..i got the diagram off of alldata.....and it only gives you two choices..the carbed and FI models.....

BTW..if anyone ever needs diagrams of anything or a how to for most anything for any car...get a hold of me and ill get it for you....xlcubertlx on aim or just PM me here

accordlxi2.0
01-05-2004, 06:53 PM
i knew mine's had an amp( cause that audiophase sounded too good 2 b tru) and so does the lx.
we 4got 2 connect the radiocondenser on the tec and regardless of the radio it was a little whine.
i gonna look 4 it tomarrow

MrBen
01-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Stock amps were only on SE-i. If you have one, it is aftermarket or someone must've known someone at Honda and put one in there.

Your radio is probably just old and wants to die. I remember my friend's radio would do that crap, and we just kicked it and beat the dash until it ame back on (didn't care about the car).

If you want cheap, Schucks Auto Supply has cheap radios for 15 dollars. Quite personally I would just find a cheap 50 dollar CD player on ebay or locally. Maybe hit the junkyard for another 3g deck, Probably only 5 bucks there.

There's a slight chance your ignition switch is failing though. My mom's 3g would have the radio turn on even when the car was off with no key in it. It is NOT a cheap fix, so start by replacing the radio and hope for the best.

PsychoPaul
01-12-2004, 09:41 AM
GhettoAccord: yeah i think my radio is crapping out. actually i think it might be dead now, not sure. didn't work yesterday. bahh... i'll put some crappy pc speakers i have and a portable cd player in the car hehe. atleast i won't be to board.

inwywind
01-17-2004, 06:45 PM
PsychoPaul
Let me know if you fix the problem

PsychoPaul
01-17-2004, 09:09 PM
inwywind: i'll let ya know. i have someone who has another stock radio from his 3g. just gotta let him know and make some time to check it out. Plus it's kinda cold right now, Not a comfortable time to be working on the car.

Laun0
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I have bought ī87 Accord LX and i donīt know how to take the original radio off. I live in Finland and my car have been imported from the USA and in Finland we have different ways to get the radio off. So could someone help me out with that.
Thanks already !

HondaBoy
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
the only thing really holding the radio in is a bracket in the back of it. the bracket is located in the very back of the radio and under the dash board near the floor. that is where you will have to unbolt it. then it should slide out fairly easily, maybe with a slight bit of effort since its been in there for many years. then of course the wiring has to be unplugged. there might be a ground wire bolted to the head unit case in the back, i dont quite remember now. and the anteena needs to be unplugged from the back. after that you can now put in a new updated head unit.

nfs480
04-07-2008, 11:08 PM
My radio had the exact same problem, I have the Bose model on the se-i with the amp mounted in the trunk. I replaced the head unit and it fixed the issue with driving over bumps.