PDA

View Full Version : i want to lower my car

extinctaccord
12-31-2003, 07:48 PM
aight guys i wanna lower my car....have no idea how to or what im doin....so i need help....any suggestions....i only have a limited amount of money, so im not trying to spend a whole lot, but if yall would just throw out some options it would help a whole lot

thanks

k-roy
12-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Cut the springs. I hear thats the cheap ass way to go.

extinctaccord
12-31-2003, 08:09 PM
has anybody here done it....just curious

SteveDX89
12-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Lowering your car the proper way isn't cheap. It'll cost over 500 bucks. Cutting the springs is the cheapest.

Elijah
12-31-2003, 08:12 PM
I have just jack it up and cut the springs.With a grinder.

extinctaccord
12-31-2003, 08:15 PM
how does it ride?

k-roy
12-31-2003, 08:15 PM
probably like shit

Elijah
12-31-2003, 08:33 PM
It rides better than any car you have ever been in or had that had lowering springs. As long as you use a grinder and cut from the bottom!

extinctaccord
12-31-2003, 08:37 PM
so is that all i have to do is use a jack, and jack it up then just use a grinder and cut the springs from the bottom?

Elijah
12-31-2003, 10:38 PM
When the first cut on each spring is made it is going to snap and the spring is going to get really tight so you have to wiggle and work the peice you cut out. and by time you are done if the spring is loose make sure you put it back on the spring mount and try to position it there when you lower the car and the car will make it tight again once it is off the jack!! Make sure you cut an even amount of spring out of the front and the back so it is even. Start with one and half springs and if it isnt low enough cut moe!! Then there you go you have a low rider and you will like the way it drives but remember it will be really bouncy at first then it will get way better and you will not regret it!!!

extinctaccord
12-31-2003, 10:41 PM
hey thanks a lot man, it helps 100% more.

Elijah
12-31-2003, 10:55 PM
Know proplem.

k-roy
01-01-2004, 09:42 AM
It rides better than any car you have ever been in or had that had lowering springs. As long as you use a grinder and cut from the bottom!

So it rides better than Neuspeed springs and Bilstain shocks? Because I drove a 97 Wolfburg Jetta with that and some more nice parts added. Every car with cut springs I have seen does not ride too bad, just not too great.

HaccordR89
01-01-2004, 09:58 PM
i've heard its dangerous too, don't really know how but i've heard that. i got my coilovers for a bill fifty and it only took about an hour to throw them on, i would suggest something like that

adams86lxi
01-01-2004, 10:58 PM
how much should you cut off if you want to lower your car 1.5 inches?

StUpiD8000
01-02-2004, 12:19 AM
lol...please people DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS..This will cost you more moeny in the long run....Just do it right the 1st time

jigga225
01-02-2004, 09:27 AM
I cant believe that y'all are actually having a conversation that is saying that cutting springs is the way to go....
You aren't serious, right?
Like stupid said, do it right

HaccordR89
01-02-2004, 10:05 AM
i have to agree. like i said, it only cost me 150 bucks..thats really not bad for coilovers. and if you look around you could probably find someboday selling theirs for less. if you get the springs off a prelude or another accord they'll work just fine. mine are off of the 4th gen accord. it's just way too easy to do correctly...do it right

od2681
01-02-2004, 10:27 AM
how much money do you have???
i bought 2 inch lowerin sprins from suspension techniques for 100 bucks...got em installed for 100

Elijah
01-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I agree u should go the right way and get springs.I'am going to get coilovers.It's just I had so many other thing's I had to do first.And it is not that bad.My car has been like this for 3 years now.So by me saying it rides nice it's only from expereince.

And trust me I have driven and installed alot of different springs.
I got my own shop www.tmsports.ca :bandit:

NXRacer
01-02-2004, 12:23 PM
i cant believe this conversation is actually continuing....this has been discussed a thousand times.

Cutting springs IS an economical, easy way to go. It rides better then coilovers (from personal experience) but not as good as lowering springs. Getting a cheap set of coilovers will rattle your teeth out of your head.

For the best possible way to lower your car, do a search, but you'll be happy with cutting the springs. I've cut them on cars and its a LOT safer to pull the springs out of the car. if you dont want to go to the trouble, at least get a spring compressor so that the cut pieces wont fly out and kill you (it flys so fast it just about could kill ya).

pearldrop
01-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree. I've had cut springs in my car for a year and they ride better than any lowering spring/coilover and strut combo I have ever had. It all depends how much you cut. Make sure you do take them out of the car and just cut the first ring off. Make sure you also trim the bumpstop down. Put them back in the car and drive it for a day or two. If it isn't low enough then you can cut more off while they are still in the car and it is easy since the first ring is gone and the pressure is off. If you try to cut them in the car, you will cut too much and it will ride bad. Besides that, you won't be able to trim the bumpstop which is very important to the ride quality.
When you trim more, just do 1/4 turn at a time and drive it for a while.
Mine rides so well that I have a set of H&R springs chilling in my closet because the stocks ride so much better.
But, I am not a racer and I rarely take corners hard. If you want performance the only way to go is with Koni's and lowering springs.