PDA

View Full Version : lug pattern, not the typical question

Vanilla Sky
01-01-2004, 01:16 AM
well, ever since i noticed that 6gee accords come in 2 lug bolt patterns, one a 4 bolt for the 4cyl, and the other a 5 bolt for the v-6, i've wondered this: is there a good reason for this? would it be worth it to change to a 5 bolt pattern for our cars? is it something to do with the power applied to the ground? i'm really looking for an answer from jim, but anybody with this answer, please give it to me... if it's worth it, i may poke around with some hums to see if any other cars' hubs fit... i'm just looking for something that's intelectually profitable to this board... that and i'm bored... man, this post is getting winded... anyways...

Derick

Site
01-01-2004, 08:19 AM
I know that with the Porsche 914 the 4 cylinder had a 4 bolt lug pattern, and the v6 had a 5 bolt. I believe it was because the 5 bolt pattern gives a little more assurance that the wheel won't break off in an intense driving situation, since the v6 engine adds more torque. Also, the 5 bolt wheels were available in wider selections. I'm not sure that 5 bolt (or any increased bolt pattern) would give more power to the ground simply because there are more bolts. But, if having the extra assurance of 5 bolts keeps the power to the ground by keeping the wheel from breaking away, then it may be worth looking into - especially for the guys who are looking to add a lot of extra torque to their 3Geez with a turbo setup.

k-roy
01-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Actually I believe the 5th gen V6 started the 5 bolt pattern. The Integra Type R had 5 lug as well. Look at a 2500 series pickup, they have 6 or even 8 lug patterns. It all has to do with power and weight.

Vanilla Sky
01-01-2004, 01:12 PM
ok, i figured it was power and/or weight... oh and site, i wasn't implying that more power would get to the ground, but that since there was more power getting to the ground, an extra lug bolt would add a bit of advantage

Vinny
01-01-2004, 05:59 PM
More to do with weight then it does power, adding an extra lug or 2 distributes the load differently

SteveDX89
01-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Are there some kind of lug adapters that you can buy? I think they bolt on to your existing hubs but change the number the lug nuts used.

Justin86
01-01-2004, 08:34 PM
you can do lug conversion.

k-roy
01-01-2004, 08:55 PM
You can buy them, I found this earlier
http://www.justaimlinks.com/adapter.html
I am thinking it would change the offset because it will act as a spacer as well.

Vanilla Sky
01-01-2004, 09:21 PM
well, there are conversions, but i was talking about a hub swap, and any benifits it would have

HaccordR89
01-01-2004, 09:53 PM
i know that brent from PFI has a crx drag car pushing close to 700 hs and it's a four lug. so i don't think power matters at all, i've yet to see his wheels fall off. look for him though at import meets at your local track. he goes everywhere.