PDA

View Full Version : lessen my lowering springs? cracking sound when brakes applied? Need answers

neoblue89lxi
01-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I just put in my sprint 2.25 lowering springs with tokico struts. Also put in prelude upper arms and driver's side axle. I have a few questions. The rear of my car is I think too low. Is there any way to raise it up a half inch or so. The upper arms in the front and back seem way up in the wheel well near the top, is that bad and will they hit the top of the well? When I hit the brakes I will here this load pop from the front, what is that and it doesn't happen every time I hit the brakes and sometimes it is a couple of pops or load cracks. When I accelerate to where the rpms are about 3-4000 the steering wheel will shack very quickly, can this have something to do with the new axle I put in, maybe it didn't snap into the tranny all the way? When i brake over speeds of about 50 the wheel will jerk to the right and shake pretty hard back and forth, any ideas. Last but not least when the front left of the car is pushed down or I go over a bump it sqeeks, is that the spring and how do I stop it. I know these are alot of problems and questions but that is all that is wrong with my car. Thanks for all the help.

neoblue89lxi
01-01-2004, 06:11 PM
help me out

Justin86
01-01-2004, 08:48 PM
well it sounds like you can use some new struts. For the brake related stuff you might need new brakes and rotors. Have them check out to see if they are in good shape or need to be replaced. It dosen't cost much to have them inspected.

AZmike
01-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Did you get an alignment after putting on the Prelude upper arms? Are you sure that your front wheels are balanced? Also, you may want to take all of your bushing and joints for wear. Does the suspension seem to be bottoming out when you hear the noise?

neoblue89lxi
01-02-2004, 07:01 AM
I'm getting a complete alignment today for all four wheels and i'm getting the front rotors cut. I hope this solve my problem.

AZmike
01-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Are you just setting the toe and checking that the camber is within spec or are you going to set the camber and caster to something specific? If you don't mind a little more steering effort increasing the caster will give you more camber whiile you're turning without affecting your static comber. I noticed a decient improvement when I went from .9 degrees caster up to my car's maximum of 2.2 degrees.

neoblue89lxi
01-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Well I got the full alignment. Caster camber and toe. My front is right at zero or around it like -.01. Thanks to the prelude arm conversion this was possible. My rear is off alot, that is what I am told. They said I need a camber kit for the rear tires. They are at around 2.0 and I need atleast a three quarters camber kit. They said if I find a 1 degree kit then get it. Will this current camber cause my tires to really wear unevenly. I will give you a complete chart tommarow of what the print out says on my cars alignment before and after.

dXsquared
01-02-2004, 09:59 PM
look at pepboys or somthing for rubber coil spring spacers... they make em for large springs, but you can cut em fit your rear springs and lift the car an inch in the back
MrGasket P/N 1285..
order two at the local speedshop... you might need to remove the rear springs to install these, or at least compress them

Travis

neoblue89lxi
01-02-2004, 10:05 PM
thanks, that sounds like it could definitely work. When Jim said that it would be a bouncy ride to use tokicos with sprints he was right. The tokicos work but there is a noticable bounce so I will eventaully invest into getting konis for the front. Cutting the rotors did stop the pulsating brakes but there is still a jolt of the steering wheel to the right if I hit the brakes sort of hard.

dXsquared
01-02-2004, 10:13 PM
http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/38898/1285

heres a link...

Travis