PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light Conversion.

paynt3r
01-02-2004, 05:24 AM
I am currently shaving the trunk lid lights out of my '89 Accord LXI. But I find that when I disconnect the Lights, I get a light on my dash that tells me that I have a burnt out brake light. I know this might sound minor, but it drives me NUTS! Does anybody know how to turn that light off! I would prefer to not drive around with the lights dangeling arround inside my trunk just to turn the silly light on my dash off.

Thanks,
Doug

Mac
01-02-2004, 06:50 AM
You can try disconnecting the sensor. It is the box in the tail light assembly. Each tail has one. Are you driving around without tail and brake lights?

Immeraufdemhund
01-02-2004, 08:39 AM
yah i'd by pass that mug too if it wasn't for that cops pulled me over for 1 of my lights being down and the other being up with my lights on.......*side note* some one get me out of this hell of this office... i hate office work!

paynt3r
01-02-2004, 09:28 AM
About 5 years ago, my car got rear-ended. At about the same time, My friend blows up his 86 accord LXi. Our cars are almost Identical! Even the same exterior color. So I buy his tail lights, deck lid and bumper from him. They all installed perfectly on my car! But there is a bit of a difference with the lights that causes my "break light burt out" indicator to constantly be on. I figured that this was some sort of resistance check in the electrical system. So I have just "lived with it" for a fiew years. Well recenty I found a good deal on a complete set of '89 tail lights for my car. Yes all three pieces. I put the 89 corner tail lights in, but the center trunk light panel wont fit, because the trunk is off an '86. never-the-less-to-say, that damn light is still on in my dash!

Here in my local area, there is a guy running around in a yellow 90 accord that shaved the trunk lid lights and added some spot lights into the trunk for reverse lights. So I came up with what I thought was a cool Idea. I dont want to completely shave the trunk lights just in case I want to go back to the origionals. So I took the trunk lid light assembly and filled in the lights so that I could make a mold of the panel that will all be flush but still have the lisence plate area. I am going to make a cf panel that will bolt in like the origional, but then will have some sort of spot light set into them for my reverse lights. I just can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the stock center lights and keep from having that light on my dash telling me that one of my tail lights is out.

paynt3r
01-02-2004, 09:45 AM
So, I am driving around without my trunk lid lights working. The corner brake/running/turn lights are working fine. I did get pulled over once, but when I explained to the officer why the trunk lights werent working and what I was doing, he was cool with it and I havent been harrassed since.

Mac.... can you explain a little better? Do I just open that little box on the tail light assembly? and is there some sort of fuse?

BTW..... There is something to be said about being honest and polite when being pulled over by the local law enforcement. When I got pulled over, I was doing 75mph in a 50mph zone, had none of the center lights working, and my tags had been expired a month. when he asked If I knew how fast I was going, I told him I honestly couldn't, that I was just kind of "zoning out" and just let my speed get away with me. I explained why the center tail lights weren't working, and that I had my new tags and just hadn't got them on. He told me to get the new tags on and keep a more watchfull eye on my speed, then told me to have a nice day and let me go. Wheeewwwww!