PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with choke opener vacuum

locknload68
01-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I think I may have found why my fast idle won't turn off. The vacuum at the choke opener is only around 4in. It's supposed to be 18in. Any ideas why this is?

I don't know if it's the choke opener that it leaking it or if the passage inside the carb is messed up. I'm gonna try to take the choke opener off the carb so I can inspect it better.

Thanks

shepherd79
01-02-2004, 02:58 PM
something is wrong with thermovalve, it is located on the back of the intake on the driver side. there are two if them. you need the one that is closer to the driver.

locknload68
01-02-2004, 03:30 PM
something is wrong with thermovalve, it is located on the back of the intake on the driver side. there are two if them. you need the one that is closer to the driver.

This is before the lines even get to the thermovalve. The vacuum that goes through the thermovalve comes from the choke opener.

shepherd79
01-02-2004, 03:58 PM
that is right. if the valve is broken or not working right, you will have no vacuum or very little vacuum.

geofstan
01-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Would this faulty thermovalve cause fast idle not to work as well??

locknload68
01-04-2004, 07:52 PM
I solved one of my problems. I took the choke opener off and took it apart. Turns out there was a TINY hole in the rubber diaphram(it looked like a needle had poked it). So I sprayed some contact sealant on it and it holds vacuum now. The choke opens like it should and the fast idle turns off.

Thanks for the help.

x3r0
01-19-2004, 06:53 PM
I solved one of my problems. I took the choke opener off and took it apart. Turns out there was a TINY hole in the rubber diaphram(it looked like a needle had poked it). So I sprayed some contact sealant on it and it holds vacuum now. The choke opens like it should and the fast idle turns off.

Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry but I wasn't aware that the Choke Opener even controlled the idle :-), afterall its called the "Choke Opener" how is that related to idle?
Your choke opener opens the choke a little bit so when its cold... ur car idles normaly, which could be high especialy if the car is cold.

A20A1
01-27-2004, 11:40 PM
but vacuum also goes to the fast idle unloader... so leak in the choke opener diaphragm may affect the other vacuum lines?